Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You wouldn't believe it but once I bought a shrinkwrapped BV3 here in Germany in which the insignia of each questionable counter had been individually blotted out with black marker...
I sold my Black ASL counters a long time ago. As I am moving to Germany soon, this does concern me some. I would happily blot my counters. I worry about pissing people off. -- jim

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I sold my Black ASL counters a long time ago. As I am moving to Germany soon, this does concern me some. I would happily blot my counters. I worry about pissing people off. -- jim
There's nothing on BGD counters that needs blotting. ?;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There is no need to. I don't know anybody here who uses blotted counters.

Given the case that you were somehow involved in nazi-stuff or neonazi politics and found yourself on the sharp end of a crackdown, then these counters might get confiscated. But otherwise, the stuff is so low silhouette that the authorities have much more pressing matters to worry about in this regard than a few cardboard counters.

von Marwitz

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That would be an interesting addition. Perhaps one day someone will do an extension like what was done for the Tarawa map.
If only Perry would come back to ASL! He had some stuff of mine to return and was working on a PTO map for it!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Here are a couple more photos of the factory district in Stalingrad. I wanted some photos of the whole map area, which is not easy considering it is 14ft long. You get the overview here but the details are lost.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Have a few plans up my sleeve. First of all I am going to get another print of CH DTW done. The first one I had done is slightly reddish tinged and also just under 1" hexes. I would like a neutral colour and the full 1" hexes. So that is going off to the printers soon. Secondly I am going to draw out my own version of The Brickworks in Stalingrad to join the DTW map with RB.

Perry's map suits a purpose but it is not very accurate. I would like a proper version of this area; so I am going to design it myself. I have already created the blank hex sheet on hexdraw and I shall have it printed out and start drawing.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Have a few plans up my sleeve. First of all I am going to get another print of CH DTW done. The first one I had done is slightly reddish tinged and also just under 1" hexes. I would like a neutral colour and the full 1" hexes. So that is going off to the printers soon. Secondly I am going to draw out my own version of The Brickworks in Stalingrad to join the DTW map with RB.

Perry's map suits a purpose but it is not very accurate. I would like a proper version of this area; so I am going to design it myself. I have already created the blank hex sheet on hexdraw and I shall have it printed out and start drawing.
Impressive! Let us know about the progress and the final result.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Mark is very helpful on BGG. He dutifully enters "ASL" into the comments field for each ASL product in the database there.

Today I'll be proceeding in a solo game of a scenario from Hell's Bridgehead 3. My first experience with the dreaded black SS counters. Problem is, the Countersmith turret counters are still blue-gray.

I've really been enjoying CH scenarios on historical maps (but not their customer service -- no email responses, voice mailbox full). They need a Luann Youse to put things in order.

Edit -- Also just downloaded the three CHonline magazines to read later.
Om?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Impressive! Let us know about the progress and the final result.
The printer slightly buggered up the clean hexgrid sheet that I sent them. I wanted 36.5 inches high and they printed 36.25 inches high. This means that the hexes are slightly misaligned with the DTW and RB map (slightly too small). But it can be corrected once I scan and re-print the map.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
My 2nd Edition rule book arrived today, so now it's me, it, and a lot of poly pockets...

By the way, how do you guys protect the chapter dividers?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reread The Forgotten War rules in anticipation of playing RP169 - The Big Bugout this Friday night. This time it's the ROK versus the Chinese in April 51. I absolutely LOVE this module. Haven't been this enthralled with a module since Code of Bushido and Red Barricades.

Cool stuff from reading today:

1. There's no Conscript or Green Chinese squads. If a 2nd line full Squad ELRs it causality reduces into a freakin broken half Squad. Ouch!

2. No Jungle in Korea?!?!? Woods is Light Woods. So, you can see and shoot thru it. Cool beans.

3. Chafees didn't like T-34/85s. T-34/85s didn't like Pershings/Pattons.

4. All ROK SWs only repair on a 1 regardless of what is printed on the counter on 6/46 thru 4/51. The Chinese SW only repair on a 1 regardless on 10/50 thru 3/51. Don't break your damn MMG/HMG...

5. Infantry Platoon Movement and Steep Hills don't mix. Add Ground Snow and it's freakin disgusting.

I highly recommend both KW Rally Points and am sooooooo looking forward to LFT's Seoul module.

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reread The Forgotten War rules in anticipation of playing RP169 - The Big Bugout this Friday night.
I've go this one lined up for Saturday morning. I'm going to get my teeth kicked in by my opponent, but still very much looking forward to giving this a go. Which side will you be playing (I've got the ROK)?