Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
While the Allied Minor troops still charged forward to overrun the position, in the crucial moment, Schütze Purist was wounded in his right wrist. The aggressive rattle of the Deluxe Oregon counter clipper ceased abruptly, while the Allied Minors closed in for the kill.

In this desparate situation, Oberst von Marwitz, leading the forces (of an excellent chablis down his throat) from the back of his bunker emerged in impeccable uniform in the trench. His monocled hawk-eyed glance grasped the situation in a fraction of a second.

Within the instant Oberst von Marwitz threw himself on the Oregon, pulled the wounded Schütze Purist from the clipper and let go the handle. To the deep relief of the German troops, the rattling of the clipper commenced again. Schüzte Purist was feeding counters to it with his unwounded hand. In the last moment, all Allied Minor counters were cut down, clipped like summer grass with a scythe.

When the cardboard dust settled, Oberst von Marwitz and Schütze Purist were standing in counter clippings up to their ankles. The Deluxe Oregon counter clipper was clicking from heat. The relief men felt could be grasped...

Oberst von Marwitz remarked: "Verdammt, Kamerad, that was too close for comfort. We just managed to corner them in the last instant." Looking at the Allied Minors lying spread out inanimately all around the position, he added: "They only did what they were ordered to do. So we shall honor their effort and put them to rest decently."

The men fetched a few RAACO A75s and interred them in an Assorter close to the position. There they now lay, peaceful almost. Oberst von Marwitz mused: "I wish that this insane clipping would one day finally come to an end." "I agree, Herr Oberst" replied Schütze Purist with furrows on his troubled brow...

von Marwitz
Lol you sir are as mad as I am !

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While the Allied Minor troops still charged forward to overrun the position, in the crucial moment, Schütze Purist was wounded in his right wrist. The aggressive rattle of the Deluxe Oregon counter clipper ceased abruptly, while the Allied Minors closed in for the kill.

In this desparate situation, Oberst von Marwitz, leading the forces (of an excellent chablis down his throat) from the back of his bunker emerged in impeccable uniform in the trench. His monocled hawk-eyed glance grasped the situation within a fraction of a second.

Within the instant Oberst von Marwitz threw himself on the Oregon, pulled the wounded Schütze Purist from the clipper and let go the handle. To the deep relief of the German troops, the rattling of the clipper commenced again. With grim determination Schütze Purist was feeding counters to it with his unwounded hand. In the last moment, all Allied Minor counters were cut down, clipped like summer grass with a scythe.

When the cardboard dust settled, Oberst von Marwitz and Schütze Purist were standing in counter clippings up to their ankles. The Deluxe Oregon counter clipper was clicking from heat. The relief men felt could be grasped...

Oberst von Marwitz remarked: "Verdammt, Kamerad, that was too close for comfort. We just managed to corner them in the last instant." Looking at the Allied Minors lying spread out inanimately all around the position, he added: "They only did what they were ordered to do. So we shall honor their effort and put them to rest decently."

The men fetched a few RAACO A75s and interred them in an Assorter close to the position. There they now lay, peaceful almost. Oberst von Marwitz mused: "I wish that this insane clipping would one day finally come to an end." "I agree, Herr Oberst." replied Schütze Purist with furrows on his troubled brow...

von Marwitz
This reads very suspiciously like a Von Trotta AAR.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Started a VASL game of Leatherneck 1-13 Saito's Farewell order.
100 Japanese squads against about 50 US squad and some guns and OBA.
At night against numerous strongpoints on 4 boards.
I am the defending US and Darryl Lundy is the attacking Japanese.
At the end of 2 hours play (rusty on night rules) we had finished one turn and casualties were approx 3 US squads and 1 leader vs 6 Jap squads and 5 leaders.
Next turn will be nasty for the US as I will lose a bunch of DM guys when they are surrounded, but the next positions the Japanese have to take both have 3 x 105mm guns with cannister....

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I shouldn't have done it, but I did...

The Oregon Deluxe Counter Clipper (2mm) that I have ordered arrived today.

I have clipped my first counter:

An orange 1-4-9 Hero counter from my retired kit.

The Hero somehow felt to be the right choice looking what is lying ahead of me with a couple of 10,000 counters yet to go. There were three of the orange 1-4-9 Hero counters. The next type up was 'MPh Abandoned D5.4'. Equally fitting because I have been obivously abandoned by all reason and will hate me for having started this clipping business...

von Marwitz
Today, I have clipped the last counter of my normal kit:

A T-13 II(b) tank from the Axis Minors.

Phew, I am glad that I am done with it.

I have not counted the number of counters overall. In large parts, this was a double OoB of most core modules and some counters of a few HASLs. The Korea module is not included because it is not WW2 - and probably because I have yet been too lazy to come up with a RAACO solution for Korea yet.

In the process, I broke one Oregon Deluxe Counter Clipper (2mm) after the first few weeks, getting a free replacement for it. The second one worked fine til the end. I came up with the idea to fix an eraser on the inside of the lower handle reducing significantly the strain on it after a clip as the eraser then bumps vs. the upper handle. I am pretty convinced, that the Orgeon Deluxe Counter Clipper in the 2mm variant ist the best tool for the job. The results look fine. And it works faster than any other clipper I'd say.

Now, theoretically, I could go on clipping various HASLs but as I will only punch them when I play them, there is not any need to do that at the moment.

The whole process took one year. Actually, I started 4. October 2018 and finished 1. October 2019. Since around Easter, though, only the Axis Minors and Allied Minors were missing completion. Rather than working on the project every day, I had a go at it in some sort of bouts: Say, a week or two with two to four A75 or A78 RAACO inserts a day. Then interruptions with no clipping action followed by another bout.

It might seem ridiculous, but it does make sense to experiment until you find the optimal hand posture to reduce strain. It does make a difference. When I started off, I wanted to get as much done as possible and had not found the best position how to hold and handle the clipper. I think I came close to tenosynovitis once and had to pause for a couple of days. After that, I looked after the best hand and arm posture more thoroughly and had no more troubles.

How many hours did it take altogether? I did not count the hours. But if you plan to engage in the venture of clipping your kit - believe me - you rather don't want to know...

Was it worth it?

Well, you ask someone that spent weeks devising the "perfect" RAACO storage, created labels for each slot in 230+ A78 / A75 RAACO inlays etc. So, no surprise, the answer is yes. Especially counters of the 2nd Editions of Core modules that come in better quality than those of most 1st Editions to start with. The coutners just look a lot better now.

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today, I have clipped the last counter of my normal kit:

A T-13 II(b) tank from the Axis Minors.

Phew, I am glad that I am done with it.

I have not counted the number of counters overall. In large parts, this was a double OoB of most core modules and some counters of a few HASLs. The Korea module is not included because it is not WW2 - and probably because I have yet been too lazy to come up with a RAACO solution for Korea yet.

In the process, I broke one Oregon Deluxe Counter Clipper (2mm) after the first few weeks, getting a free replacement for it. The second one worked fine til the end. I came up with the idea to fix an eraser on the inside of the lower handle reducing significantly the strain on it after a clip as the eraser then bumps vs. the upper handle. I am pretty convinced, that the Orgeon Deluxe Counter Clipper in the 2mm variant ist the best tool for the job. The results look fine. And it works faster than any other clipper I'd say.

Now, theoretically, I could go on clipping various HASLs but as I will only punch them when I play them, there is not any need to do that at the moment.

The whole process took one year. Actually, I started 4. October 2018 and finished 1. October 2019. Since around Easter, though, only the Axis Minors and Allied Minors were missing completion. Rather than working on the project every day, I had a go at it in some sort of bouts: Say, a week or two with two to four A75 or A78 RAACO inserts a day. Then interruptions with no clipping action followed by another bout.

It might seem ridiculous, but it does make sense to experiment until you find the optimal hand posture to reduce strain. It does make a difference. When I started off, I wanted to get as much done as possible and had not found the best position how to hold and handle the clipper. I think I came close to tenosynovitis once and had to pause for a couple of days. After that, I looked after the best hand and arm posture more thoroughly and had no more troubles.

How many hours did it take altogether? I did not count the hours. But if you plan to engage in the venture of clipping your kit - believe me - you rather don't want to know...

Was it worth it?

Well, you ask someone that spent weeks devising the "perfect" RAACO storage, created labels for each slot in 230+ A78 / A75 RAACO inlays etc. So, no surprise, the answer is yes. Especially counters of the 2nd Editions of Core modules that come in better quality than those of most 1st Editions to start with. The coutners just look a lot better now.

von Marwitz
Well done.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I am pretty convinced, that the Orgeon Deluxe Counter Clipper in the 2mm variant ist the best tool for the job.
The numerous reports of them breaking after a short period of use suggests to me that it is not. The non-Deluxe version, which is made of steel and not plastic, has served me well for several years now and has never even looked like it might break. I'm fairly sure that I can't break it merely by using it; I don't have super-strength.

I don't know why anyone would prefer the Deluxe version, especially since it's twice the price of the regular model. Looking at photos of the two devices I can't even work out what the Deluxe version does that the regular version doesn't? Anyone who has used both that can weigh in?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The numerous reports of them breaking after a short period of use suggests to me that it is not. The non-Deluxe version, which is made of steel and not plastic, has served me well for several years now and has never even looked like it might break. I'm fairly sure that I can't break it merely by using it; I don't have super-strength.

I don't know why anyone would prefer the Deluxe version, especially since it's twice the price of the regular model. Looking at photos of the two devices I can't even work out what the Deluxe version does that the regular version doesn't? Anyone who has used both that can weigh in?
The deluxe model cannot take off the sides of your counters like the standard one can and I think is quicker to use , I get around 15-17 counters a minute done with them . My first two are still going strong and have done around 300k of counters the newer one is , Oregon say made of a cheaper material and it is since that change they have all been breaking I have now repaired the lower lever with a 5 Mm Aluminium plate and they should now go on for s long time. Remember guys these clippers were never designed for counter clipping so are put through a lot more work than they should be doing .

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Naturally, I delved into this before I started a year ago... ?‍?

The advantage of the non-deluxe version is that it is all metal and cheaper. There are no reports that I know of this device breaking.
The disadvantage is that you have to be more careful to correctly sit the counter in the device before clipping. If you do not, then you might get skewed corners or accidentally shear off a bit of the side of the counter. If you feel a higher resistance than normal when applying pressure upon clipping, this indicates that the counter is not optimally placed and you should halt to realign it first. With practice, you will develop a good feel if this is the case or not and probably also develop the skill to avoid imperfect placement most of the time.

Besides the higher price, the disadvantage of the deluxe version is (potentially), that the reports of the device breaking are not infrequent. The weakness lies in the lower handle in the innermost part of the lever that presses down the top plate onto the base. There are Youtube videos illustrating the issue. If that handle would be made of metal, it would be the absolute fix and improvement to the deluxe version. That said, breaking of the handle "normally" occurs after a couple of thousand counters. On the other hand, many people report having no issues with breakage at all and the handle lasting for tens of thousands of counters without problems. My first deluxe clipper had the issue (and I got a free replacement), the second worked without issue for all my ASL kit (less most of the German OoB for which I had used the first one that broke). It could be that some of the deluxe clippers breaking early while others work forever without issue might indicate that there has been some batch of production that was affected while other batches have not.
The advantage of the deluxe version is that the optimal placement of the counters is absolutely fool proof. You simply cannot screw up a counter. In theory, you could manage not to shove a counter completely into the corner thus cutting off less than you want. But in case you really contrieve to do that, push the counter in once more all the way and cut off the rest. In any case with the deluxe version and opposed to the non-deluxe version, you cannot cutt off more than you want. The other advantage of the deluxe version is that you can work quicker compared to the non-deluxe version. And these advantages will do for me to prefer the deluxe version over the non-deluxe version.

Below is a picture of my deluxe version. You will note that I have fixed an eraser with tape to the lower handle. This has the following effect: If you clip a counter an the resistance of the cardboard is overcome, the power of your grip will normally strain the plastic lever part of the lower handle that tends to break. The eraser prevents that strain from being applied to the lever part as it bumps against the upper handle, so any pressure will be stopped by the upper handle rather than being applied to the lever part. This should greatly reduce the risk of breakage even if you should end up with a deluxe version breaking after the time while you get free replacements.

In case you want to repair a broken handle, there are Youtube videos, how to do that. And Olli has recently posted a picture of his more elaborate repair which included a metal part to the lower handle.

Here is a Youtube video of the normal version. That guy is pretty quick with the tool:

Here is a Youtube video of the deluxe version. That guy is not particularly quick in using it. Furthermore, I would advise putting a piece of scotch tape over the holes for the screws holding the lower cutting table in place as otherwise occasionally a corner of a counter might get caught in the hole when realigning it to cut the next corner.

Here is a longer Youtube review of the deluxe version with a comparison of both versions within the first minute:

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine survived all the core modules, double copies of SoF and HH (I bought them primarily for the double set of boards), all the historical modules, various third party products without a hitch. Plus bonus Turning Point Stalingrad and Breakout Normandy. I keep eyeing a bunch of the other games in my collection but if I can withstand the craving for long enough the shakes go away and I can go back to my life.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just gave JRV what should be his 5000th 'Like'.

Why? He just deserves it!

JR, my sincere thanks for your ceaseless efforts and help in illuminating everyone in this ASL forum with your astonishing rules expertise - often within a few minutes. I have benefitted from it countless times and probably there is no one around here, who hasn't.

You are one of the greatest assets of this forum.

?

Cheers,
von Marwitz