Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did my setup for G33 THE AWAKENING OF SPRING. Magnus Rimvall and I will start this scenario by VASL tomorrow. I have the Germans in this ten turn scenario. It will take a few sessions, unless I have really bad luck at the beginning.
Neat scenario but pretty tough on the Germans as the terrain is fairly restrictive and channels avenues of advance into some pretty predictable routes.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I finally finished my Korea counters.
Clipping counters, no doubt.

I'll admit that I was never much for clipping as I tried to be as careful as I could in the original cutting. However, I find myself starting to clip the more prominent 'tree' bits as I draw pieces for a game.

Considering the thousands of pieces to be clipped,... I doubt I have the years left in life to clip them all. :D

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clipping counters, no doubt.

I'll admit that I was never much for clipping as I tried to be as careful as I could in the original cutting. However, I find myself starting to clip the more prominent 'tree' bits as I draw pieces for a game.

Considering the thousands of pieces to be clipped,... I doubt I have the years left in life to clip them all. :D
I did. I just clipped ALL of my counters from ALL of my modules over the course of several months. I thought I'd never live to complete them, but it actually goes faster than one imagines, even if you do them in reasonable batches.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I did. I just clipped ALL of my counters from ALL of my modules over the course of several months. I thought I'd never live to complete them, but it actually goes faster than one imagines, even if you do them in reasonable batches.
Took me around five years and two Carpul tunnel ops but I did clip over 300,000 + counters

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also received Spec Ops #9 in mail today,will read ASL content before bed.

Spent my day setting up Sea Lion mini CG using six existing scenarios,and will test out Dennis Hess' Personal valor rules for SMC's in the campaign. First scenario is "874" with Germans trying to capture town of Hythe for its port.

Using 7-0 Cpl. Smyth as my PL for the campaign. A champion motorcyclist before the war, here he is motoring on his custom Vincent Rapide series A racing bike from his family estate in Hastingleigh (where he was on leave while awaiting orders) to meet up with Home Guard units in the area after receiving Invasion Alert and report of German troops ashore in Kent.

Turn 1--Home Guard forward screen fires on advancing armored cars with no effect (ATR misses its TH roll, MG hits but NE, 4FP attack from MG squad forces MC on CE Crew which they pass.) Home Guard 2-2-6 hs passed its first MC but failed second one by 1 and Breaks.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doing a bit of prep to play WCW2 "Scotch on the Rocks" at club tomorrow. This one doesn't look like there is much subtle going on. Also, if the German's 81s don't keep their smoke during the first turn or two (i.e., don't get the first several rolls to be less than 8), it's hard to see how the bad guys win this one (and ROAR seems to reflect that). Still, it's ASL so it'll be fun and I'm looking forward to playing.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,.... I made the 300 km trip to Lee M's place in Beaumont , Alberta where we sat down to a face-to-face game of ASL110 'The North Bank'. Lee and I have played each other for two decades and we play fast. My Germans hit the British right, which was the weaker side. On Turn 5 I got past the last PIAT and 57L AT to occupy the three hexes. The British 10-3, Hero, squad and LMG caused a lot of grief until they were cordoned off and couldn't block the last moves on the VC area. It only took 2 1/2 hours to complete the scenario.

Since we had about 6 hours before I had to make the trip back we randomly chose a Journal scenario and ended up with J20 'Guns of Naro'. I took the Italians and deployed the lads in depth across most of the map from hex row D all the way back to M5. Each 100* had at least one more supporting it along with infantry right next door.

The dice were favourable and by US Turn 3 I had killed all three jeeps and their passengers with a 6 FP and 2FP shot from two squads and a direct hit with a 100* ART. Both M5a1 went up in flames - one from a CC (DR2), the second from a CH with the 20L ATR at pointblank range. A Sherman went down to a direct fire HE CH and three 6-6-7 were forced to bail out when they failed MCs, and failed again on the Bail Out NMC. To add insult to injury 2 HS were then eliminated for failure to route.

Three DR 2 and a few low DR on attacks ranging from 1 to 6 FP along with bad luck on Lee's part did in the attackers.

It didn't go all my way, of course. I broke the MMG twice and a 100* ART malfunctioned. One FB made a Mistaken Attack and bombed a forward gun,... thankfully only pinning the crew. That said,.... low-ish DR overall made it a short game

With 33 CVP by turn 3, Lee threw in the towel. We (actually, I) did make a rules error that we didn't catch until after the game. I changed covered arc with a pinned gun and it had an effect. We actually looked for the rule in Chapter C but it was only discovered much later in A7.81.

Mia culpa.

Still,... two games in a little over 6 hours in one day made the 600+ km round trip worthwhile. Not a bad Saturday.

Edit: Can't seem to find a live link for ROAR. Is it still used?

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is dedication for you.....300km one way is a LOT.
I'd say. I have thought about traveling around 90 miles for one day of ASL but the thought always leaves my head pretty quickly. I will, and have, often traveled 30-40 miles for a day of ASL though.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That is dedication for you.....300km one way is a LOT.
Well,.... my formative years were up north in the Edmonton region. While my career has taken me all over the world my home base has been Calgary, about 280+km to the south. Lee has always been a keen ASLer and I have made the trip a few hundred times over the past 30 years so the 2.5 hour drive is old hat. I could always stay with family if I didn't want the drive back the same day.

Waking up at 0500h on Saturday to make the trip is another thing,.... but that is why we have Red Bull for the return trip. I hope to connect with the local group at their next gathering for more local games.

Last edited: