Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I am pulling out Chapter G and will be working through the cave rules. I'm getting ready to receive an old-fashioned butt whooping in a cave-heavy scenario, figuring that the school of hard knocks is the best teacher. So, I'm hoping to have learned the rules well enough that I can take in some of the tactics from seeing caves played well by my opponent. Gradually adding more and more of Chapter G to my "mad ASL skillz!" (<-- showing here that ASL players can be hip and cool :p)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... as part of my retraining in ASL after 10 years I finished up my first SASL mission with a British rifle company in Norway, beginning in mid-April. As this is relatively short campaign the company will be given weekly missions through the end of May until the historical evacuation. Then off to the Mediterranean.

The area that No 3 Coy (Ind) was committed to was with the landing of the146th Brigade at Namsos. Executing a Recon(naissance) mission toward Steinkjer the company got delayed for far too long trying to silence a HMG in a farm that covered a fortified AT position at the village crossroads on board 17. By the end of the battle (16 turns) the company was fairly shot up but recovered enough to move on its next mission.

The mission was a defeat as I amassed exactly the same CVP count as the DEFENDER - 42.

One thing about SASL is that you do need to refer to the RB,... a lot. I can't believe that I had to remind myself by checking the rules that residual firepower is not left in a hex if the ROF is maintained.

So much to learn again but it is starting to comeback.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
None beat the Rot?????ger Chick. I've managed to wipe the correct spelling from my mind.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
None beat the Rot?????ger Chick. I've managed to wipe the correct spelling from my mind.
Paul you do realise that somebody will now repost her just for you now don’t you , some things best said unsaid!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Picked up an original copy of the Windy City Wargamer’s ASL pack and scanned it into the archive. Also came with a scenario from one of their newsletters or tourney WCW ASL Exclusive No 1 “Death of a tiger” (although it’s a JgPz VI)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... No 3 Company (Ind) was back in action today ordered to "Hold the Line" on the high ground east of the 146th Bde near Steinkjer, Norway. The company was a touch under strength but supported by two 25pdr MkII guns and a HMG team . Early German artillery strikes forced the company back from its forward emplacements while the Germans have been coming on in small waves. The attack includes AT guns and at least one Pz Ib so far. Brigade has sent a forward observer for a 25 pdr battery to help and three light tanks have just arrived from the north. Still waiting for the French Alpine troops to make an appearance.

Me poor lads are bearing up well,... so far.

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Playtesting a large-ish SK Kursk scenario and researching info and designing for a bunch of SCW ASL scenarios.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
clipping my beautifully sprayed new German and Russian counters from Beyond Valor....

continuing development of a really cool Greek-Italian scenario for the next DTF pack. It has been a real struggle to get it right, we are on version 17 and have used 3 completely different map configurations to try and get it done. We are finally closing in on the real deal.....I think it will be pretty good!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Finally finished the second mission for No 3 Company (Ind) in the SASL campaign. The Hold the Line mission had some tense moments as I thought I would lose number 2 and 3 platoons when the Germans finally built up enough infantry and came over the main board 15 hill in strength. The French Alpine company arrived with an MMG and 60mm mortar just in time to help the 25 pounders and a light tank break the final attack.

I was treated to the spectacle of Mk VIb light tanks dueling with a Pz I. The Pz I lost against two British lights but the Germans knocked out a third Mk VI with a machine gun at close range. The two surviving Mk VI were the forced to scamper for cover when a heavier Pz IIA came roaring over the hill. The British lights were saved by an ATR blowing the turret off the Pz II. By the end of the battle the defenders actually outnumbered the attackers (Vive l'France!!) and the British company was not quite sure what to do with the 2 pdr ATG and 3 in Mortar that arrived in the last few turns.

A win that bring the company's campaign score up out of the negatives to a solid 0 points. Post mission promotions went well but battle hardening of squads had to be used to bring 4-3-6s up to 4-4-7s. The company is going into the next mission at full strength but a full third of the line squads are 4-4-7.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I did my setup for G33 THE AWAKENING OF SPRING. Magnus Rimvall and I will start this scenario by VASL tomorrow. I have the Germans in this ten turn scenario. It will take a few sessions, unless I have really bad luck at the beginning.