Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just been notified by Xavier that the latest LFT item has been shipped to me this morning.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played "The Guards Counterattack" solo with the Basic Infantry Rules from Jim Stahler's Programmed Instruction guide to ASL (e.g. no building levels, area fire, HOB, etc). The screenshot shows the situation at the end. Real knife-edge stuff, just as I remember it from many years ago. The Russians took the F5 building easily enough, but were broken by fire from I7, and then chased out by good order infantry, who in there turn were broken by rallied SMG squads. In the end, the Russians didn't manage the win and the Germans were ahead in good-order squad count.

The biggest mistakes I made (apart from tactical howlers all over the place) were forgetting to apply the DM penalty for rallying and, ironically, forgetting to remove DM markers at the end of the RPh.

Great fun.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "The Guards Counterattack" solo with the Basic Infantry Rules from Jim Stahler's Programmed Instruction guide to ASL (e.g. no building levels, area fire, HOB, etc). The screenshot shows the situation at the end. Real knife-edge stuff, just as I remember it from many years ago. The Russians took the F5 building easily enough, but were broken by fire from I7, and then chased out by good order infantry, who in there turn were broken by rallied SMG squads. In the end, the Russians didn't manage the win and the Germans were ahead in good-order squad count.

The biggest mistakes I made (apart from tactical howlers all over the place) were forgetting to apply the DM penalty for rallying and, ironically, forgetting to remove DM markers at the end of the RPh.

Great fun.

View attachment 8214
Good scenario for Solo play. Paul Weir might be nearby for a FtF play.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember most of the names, Berki, Stites. Kelso, Dotski, Poor Ulh in the middle, Stahler.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL For Fun, Valkenswaard Breakthrough,turn 1 solo play.

Chao erupts on the road to Eindhoven. Creeping Barrage reveals lots of Dummies and only Breaks one German HMG Crew in a Foxhole.Timing was off so Barrage was laid on for two pre-game turns (will Lift at end of turn 2 now.)

One Sherman tries to plow thru a Minefield and is Immobilized and Stunned. British+German arty batteries both Denied Access in Brit player 1 turn (Germans land SR next to road on German player turn 1.) 9-1+squad also hung up in a Minefield,and one 4-5-8 CR'ed+Broke on MC from flanking German HMG. German 4-6-8 in Foxhole fired two PF's at lead Sherman--missed on first, Pinned trying for second.

German 50L AT and 81 MTR also hit two different hexes on the highway full of British units and both shots result in Dud Rounds (Himmler is sending the Gestapo to the local factories to root out the sabotage to German ammo supplies--slave labor isn't what it used to be.)

German 88 at the south bridge clobbers a para stack in the church in hex R18 (Leader Broke, squad CR'ed on MC, HS Disrupts on MC,but MMG squad passes 3MC with DR of 3) on firepower attack of 18 on IIFT and DR=6,result of 3MC. Yeah I said it---IIFT!

US 60 Mortar did reveal 20mm Flak gun in sandbag emplacement and Broke Crew in hex P17.

Paras making headway towards the bridges and setting up firing positions. XXX Corps is bottled up for now. German Movement Phase coming up.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Technically it was yesterday, but stIll...

Copied the Red Factories scenario cards and put them in my binders, put the RF rules in the rulebook. Also copied LCP's Wacht am Rhein Vol. 1 and The Storm Broke scenario cards. Admired the St. Louis CBI pack and copied and stored the scenarios.

Copied the scenarios of Annuals '90, '92, '93a/b, '95, '96 and '97 and stored them in the scenario binders. Also checked which scenarios have been updated since. Will start reading the Annuals today.

Had a blast. :)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Hold on dude.

For your first DR you used two coloured dice?

Are you jacking with us?

If this thing messes you up in ASL games you certainly brought it upon yourself.
Whatsoever you mean?! He got Rate!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Released the DRAFT version of the KFW VASL extension:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hold on dude.

Are you jacking with us?

If this thing messes you up in ASL games you certainly brought it upon yourself.
You missed that the dice match the tablecloth...his wife insisted.
Also I suspect he is red / green color blind...his wife did not tell him about the tablecloth.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Hold on dude.

Are you jacking with us?

To compound things, my opponent uses red and black dice.
Reason is that particular Brand of precisión dice doesn't have white ones. But don't worry; I have cobalt blue, black, golden, sable, and their respective brothers with "hollowed" pips.
But, as I always say :D : "I am not superstitious -- that brings bad luck"
Best wishes

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Poly-pocketed my newly-arrived scenarios and Chapter H material and put them in green and red ring binders respectively. They go nicely with my pocket edition rules. I've been trying to decide whether to print my downloaded freebie scenarios (e.g. AP 1, Provence Pack, and various others) and add them, but as it happens I bought some new printer paper yesterday for my daughter's school project, and I only realised when I got home that I'd bought extra-thick paper. I guess the decision is now made... :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Used my new found baby HTML skills and did an index for myself so I can pull out any ASL play aid file and every single SpilkyChart quickly!!

Now I am going to be able to put these wonderful play aids to better use!!

I have everything zipped - index & the play aid files - zipped in a 25.4MB package. MSG me if you want it.

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Something happened with your coding, that’s not the IIFT :)

Used my new found baby HTML skills and did an index for myself so I can pull out any ASL play aid file and every single SpilkyChart quickly!!
View attachment 8974

Now I am going to be able to put these wonderful play aids to better use!!

I have everything zipped - index & the play aid files - zipped in a 25.4MB package. MSG me if you want it.