Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today I packed all my ASL gear for the Albany Tournament.....

For work-related reasons, I will start off tomorrow morning on a 1,000 mile drive via Ottawa (to retrieve my passport on the way to the USA)....

I hope to arrive on Wednesday evening for one good night of sleep. Then on Thursday morning Epic Times will start.....Sean Deller and I will continue our fantastic run of first-round Albany games with a playing of DTF-2 Blitzkrieg! Since I designed this scenario, Sean had choice of sides and picked the indomitable French with their bunker-like tanks.

Looking forward to 6 great rounds of ASL at the world's best tournament......

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Filed the scenarios from AoO second edition, making a reference note on my original scenarios that have been replaced (from the annuals, action packs and journals).

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soloing 34 A New Kind Foe on Vasl.

EDIT: The shellholes in the woods were turned into flames

Pregame bombardment broke the 3 partisan squads in the tree line on the eastern side of the battlefield. The Germans on that side will be able to cross the open ground unimpeded. The bombardment broke most of the east side defenders

BUT! on the other side of the battlefield, the bombardment turns the 6+1 beserk. He then beserks 2 of the 3 squads with him. Since they are sitting in a building way in the back and there are no KEU in LOS they become Fanatic. (I think I got that right).

1543419674219.png

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
S
BUT! on the other side of the battlefield, the bombardment turns the 6+1 beserk. He then beserks 2 of the 3 squads with him. Since they are sitting in a building way in the back and there are no KEU in LOS they become Fanatic. (I think I got that right).
Berserk HoB result becomes battle harden if no enemy units in LOS [A15.44]. The 6+1 battle hardens to a 7-0 leader and does not attempt to convert other units in the location.

JR

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Berserk HoB result becomes battle harden if no enemy units in LOS [A15.44]. The 6+1 battle hardens to a 7-0 leader and does not attempt to convert other units in the location.

JR
Hmmm. OK

This is what I was thinking, but now reading 15.44 I understand.

Pre-game bombardment makes the leader berserk by a morale HOB roll of 2.
Per 15.41 then he must try to convert squads. He converts 2 of the 3.
They must sit and wait until their player turn
Per 15.44, In the following Movement Phase then if there is no KEU to charge then battle harden the leader and two squads.

My mistake I jumped ahead and did not wait until the movement phase to battle harden them.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hmmm. OK

This is what I was thinking, but now reading 15.44 I understand.

Pre-game bombardment makes the leader berserk by a morale HOB roll of 2.
Per 15.41 then he must try to convert squads. He converts 2 of the 3.
They must sit and wait until their player turn
Per 15.44, In the following Movement Phase then if there is no KEU to charge then battle harden the leader and two squads.

My mistake I jumped ahead and did not wait until the movement phase to battle harden them.
There should be no waiting. A15.44 is an immediate conversion of berserk to battle harden, when the result happens: "If a unit suffers a berserk result, but has no Known enemy unit in its LOS at that time, the result is changed to Battle Hardening." No waiting until MPh or until any time. Everything happens right at the HoB DR.

JR

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There should be no waiting. A15.44 is an immediate conversion of berserk to battle harden, when the result happens: "If a unit suffers a berserk result, but has no Known enemy unit in its LOS at that time, the result is changed to Battle Hardening." No waiting until MPh or until any time. Everything happens right at the HoB DR.

JR
Got it, Thanks.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Began moving my 1/2" counters from Darice bead trays to Hozan. Pretty happy to get all the BV German 1/2" OOB into a single tray (of four) in Hozan, and better organized as well (and same with the Russians).

IMG_20181128_073538.jpg

I expect this organizational sickness to continue for the near future...

Alan

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
End of Turn 3 Soloing 34 A New Kind Foe on Vasl. Look at all the fire started by the bombardment. Only one of the initial flames went out. The others continue to spread especially after a wind change and one blast of gusts.
Germans on the east are chasing the partisans back as they try to withdraw. The western force has been chewed up by some mg fire and the 75 gun.

I don't know how to use the 37mm AT guns. I'm going to run them to the hedges to blast the 75mm, if the mortars don't get them.
1543611016146.png

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't know how to use the 37mm AT guns.
They are good used against infantry. At range six (out of normal range of most Soviet weapons) they get critical hits on DR of four against units in woods when they have double acquisition. Even without a CH a four flat is a good attack against seven ML units. With ROF of 3 they can send a fair amount of pain down range. The gunshield gives them reasonable DRM against return fire, and if partisans are firing on the guns, they aren't firing on german infantry. They are just about as useful as the 50mm MTRs, and you've got those engaged.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Began moving my 1/2" counters from Darice bead trays to Hozan. Pretty happy to get all the BV German 1/2" OOB into a single tray (of four) in Hozan, and better organized as well (and same with the Russians).

View attachment 6307

I expect this organizational sickness to continue for the near future...

Alan
I recognize nicely clipped counters there...

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recognize nicely clipped counters there...

von Marwitz
This is von M speak for "passed inspection." He should issue you liberty for the weekend. But best be back at work on Monday bright and early continuing with your organizational transfer.

[I would also add your counters are all of the same issue and possibly have that dull coat applied? Tidy overall. My counters would never* pass von M's strict test...never! But then I still play with BV1, Yanks 1, etc. 1...and only recently clipped counters with <ahem> finger nail clippers.]

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Look at all the fire started by the bombardment. Only one of the initial flames went out. The others continue to spread especially after a wind change and one blast of gusts.
It bothers me: it seems like you have a lot of flames/blazes, some of which are in areas that should not have contained units at start. Did you roll for empty hexes? Only buildings, bridges, some fortifications, unpossessed weapons, weapons possessed by units that failed their MC and/or units in the non-spared hexes roll a MC with a bombardment. Other hexes (such as woods) devoid of units & unpossessed weapons do not make a MC even in non-spared hexes. HIP units are rolled for, but without indicating which hex the unit is in. You then have to roll a boxcars on a MC to cause a flame. I count twenty-seven units, plus nine buildings (and two bridges, which can't catch fire). If all of the units possessing weapons of some sort failed, you would add another twelve rolls. If *all* of them were in affected hexes and all of the units possessing weapons failed their MC, probability would predict one-and-one-third flames. From what I see you rolled at least four (including one that went out) and possibly five flames. That result is certainly possible but not likely.

edit: from this post it is evident that you almost certainly rolled for empty hexes. Only hexes that contain bombardment targets have a MC (or MCs if there are multiple bombardment targets) rolled. The placement of shellholes or flames is a side effect of the MC on the bombardment target.

JR

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It bothers me: it seems like you have a lot of flames/blazes, some of which are in areas that should not have contained units at start. Did you roll for empty hexes? Only buildings, bridges, some fortifications, unpossessed weapons, weapons possessed by units that failed their MC and/or units in the non-spared hexes roll a MC with a bombardment. Other hexes (such as woods) devoid of units & unpossessed weapons do not make a MC even in non-spared hexes. HIP units are rolled for, but without indicating which hex the unit is in. You then have to roll a boxcars on a MC to cause a flame. I count twenty-seven units, plus nine buildings (and two bridges, which can't catch fire). If all of the units possessing weapons of some sort failed, you would add another twelve rolls. If *all* of them were in affected hexes and all of the units possessing weapons failed their MC, probability would predict one-and-one-third flames. From what I see you rolled at least four (including one that went out) and possibly five flames. That result is certainly possible but not likely.

edit: from this post it is evident that you almost certainly rolled for empty hexes. Only hexes that contain bombardment targets have a MC (or MCs if there are multiple bombardment targets) rolled. The placement of shellholes or flames is a side effect of the MC on the bombardment target.

JR
Yes, I see that once again 'logic' has foiled me. Bombardment is so precise that only a hex with a unit or building is subject to it. Lucky for the deer and squirrels.