Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Working on a solo mini-CG similar to Pete Shelling's "Verdict at Nuremberg" from Journal 9. The CG are 4 existing scenarios involving the 30th Infantry Division vs. 363 VG Div.and 9th Panzer Div. during Operation Grenade,February 1945. The four scenarios used are:

RPT 124 The Undaunted
RPT125 Bazooka Butts
RPT126 The Steinstrass Funnel
ASLUG10 Twilight's Last Gleaming

CG VP's scored same as Nuremberg CG--3 CG VP for side winning scenario, plus two Bonus CG VP for Control of certain Buildings on each scenario map (working on that now.) Total of 20 CG VP's for the campaign. Each side will also have a choice of one of three possible OOB additions,selected at start of CG. Using the Nuremberg CG Special Rules as a guide for this CG. This is strictly a solo project for fun,so will post it when ready.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is pic of maps on able with scenario cards and J9 article am using for guidance. Game on right is Compass Games "Montelimar" which I am also solo playing currently.

Attachments

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
If your opponent doesn't count, you can move "all" your units, and as you move your "last" stacks, your opponent blasts away with everything that can bear. Then you pull out your HIP units and skillfully walk across the board on a path that is restricted from SFF/FPF because of closer units. In some circumstances you can wait for a turn or two to reveal your HIP so that your opponent shifts his forces away from one area of the board.
Nice description of what was skillfully unfurled on me in ASL 145 'Shanghai In Flames'. He HIP stacked all of his IJA on one flank, allowed me to use FF/SFF at all visible units (may as well, no other targets on that flank!), and then raced the revealed HIPsters right into my backfield. Lesson learned!

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scheduled to play my first night scenario on Friday evening. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.
Seems like we are on a similar path. After my first PTO scenario, I've been reading up on the night rules and JRT's article as well. Please let us know how it goes!

Alan

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another great "learner" night scenario is OA23 A Midnight Clear. As a matter of fact I call it a semi-night scenario because both sides enter a small playing area and must exit across the line of advance of the other, so you don't get the full boat effect of having to learn No Move and Freedom of Action rules as well as HIP and many other rules that a full blown night engagement normally offers (infantry only also). Yeah, it's baby stepping in a way, but a blast to play and a good way to get your feet wet. (10 of 10 for a fun factor, regardless of the outcome).

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Writing down idea I have for an SASL CG involving German/Italians vs Italian partisans,northern Italy,1944-45. Will use standard SASL Missions, some custom Missions from the old 1GRB SASL page (https://web.archive.org/web/20050209181749/web.aanet.com.au/1grb/ ), and the Patrol rules from Platoon Leader to represent small-scale actions.

Saw a great pic of an Italian guy holding a rare SMG in a book on Italian partisan small arms in WW2. Would love to have a counter for this guy.Most well dressed partisan I ever saw.

Attachments

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Writing down idea I have for an SASL CG involving German/Italians vs Italian partisans,northern Italy,1944-45. Will use standard SASL Missions, some custom Missions from the old 1GRB SASL page (https://web.archive.org/web/20050209181749/web.aanet.com.au/1grb/ ), and the Patrol rules from Platoon Leader to represent small-scale actions.

Saw a great pic of an Italian guy holding a rare SMG in a book on Italian partisan small arms in WW2. Would love to have a counter for this guy.Most well dressed partisan I ever saw.
Must have been the leader. As with the guy who went to get a vasectomy dressed in a tuxedo said. "If youse gwina be impotent, youse betta look inpo'tant.:eek:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looked over my list of Maps that have to be:

A. Finished. (3)
B. cropped & Printed. (1)
C. past onto my VASL map converting Guru (BigAL). (at least 5!).
D. Restarted from scratch due to improving skill Hexdraw wise and graphic drawing wise (1).

Loaded up my Prokhorovka HexDraw map and played around with some orchard hexes that blocked to much LOS. pressed my MTP fatigues for duty tonight (duty platoon yet again!) layed out a selection of Kursk or Kursk time era scenarios to play when I am off duty (Monday-Thursday).

all the best

Perry

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Family has kept me busy, so had a gap of several weeks in my ASL. Trying to arrest the slide, I am setting up FrF27 "Cocktails for Molotov" for solitaire play. Even though I think I know pretty well how the attacker usually plays :), it's still tricky to set up the defense for this.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally finished putting my rulebook pages in sheet protectors. Chapters A-E in the original binder, and chapters F-H in the first edition binder. I've applied most of the sticky errata, so my rulebook is finally about set.