Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Decided it was time to get my ASL mojo back on, have set up S2 'War of the Rats' have not played since September 2016 when me and Jeff Hewitt (if you are out there Jeff let me know you are still alive) were fighting our Singling Campaign when Jeff went strangely 'off-line' and no one has heard from him since. So I am off into the world of ASL again, slow and steady and am sort of doing ASLSK with whistles and bells for the first few scenario, just to file off the rough edges then back into full blown ASL with a VotG campaign game I think.

All the best

Perry

P.S anyone got any spare Black SS counters/ counter sets, sold mine last years and am regretting it big time.

Great to see you back Perry!!

A tad off topic, but based on your review on BGG, I've started down the Panzer road also.

Again, great to have you back,

Mark

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Decided it was time to get my ASL mojo back on, have set up S2 'War of the Rats' have not played since September 2016 when me and Jeff Hewitt (if you are out there Jeff let me know you are still alive) were fighting our Singling Campaign when Jeff went strangely 'off-line' and no one has heard from him since. So I am off into the world of ASL again, slow and steady and am sort of doing ASLSK with whistles and bells for the first few scenario, just to file off the rough edges then back into full blown ASL with a VotG campaign game I think.

All the best

Perry

P.S anyone got any spare Black SS counters/ counter sets, sold mine last years and am regretting it big time.
Heya Perry,

Check out http://brokenground.design .. he's taking orders for all sorts of ASL counters.

Take care buddy

Rgds Jack

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great to see you back Perry!!

A tad off topic, but based on your review on BGG, I've started down the Panzer road also.

Again, great to have you back,

Mark
Hi Mark,

Cheers, and yes, Panzer is very good IMHO, I have played a whole host of games since I drifted away from ASL, Panzer series, Next war Poland, the L'n'L series, OCS (Hubes pocket (managed to get a mint copy for £28 off of BGG!!!), Baltic Gap, Sicilly, Tunisia II) GDW's Assault series (Managed to get the whole lot un-punched including Reinforcements for under £120!!), have dipped my toe into the Great battles of History series with 'The Great battles of Alexander delux version' re-bought Operation dauntless and Panzergrenadiers 'Kursk southern flank', re-bought and sold on again Combat Commander. have played L2's Streets of Stalingrad from start to finish twice, and bought Conflict of Heroes AwtB 2nd Edition and Storms of Steel first edition. So have been having a good time war game wise, but just thought it was time I returned to ASL again, it will not be my only investment or game of choice, but it will be up there with the main top 3 I play.

all the best

Perry

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
First off, BLOODY WELL DONE!!

P.S. How long until my neck and shoulders recover?

After I did ASLSK#1,BV & Yanks in once sitting I was ok again after a week. Although I clipped all mine with a set of nail clippers and my right thumb pad is still numb after 4 years!!.

P.S.S. Curse the Forumites who tempt impressionable minds into the black arts of counter clipping!

I blame Olli, simplest way........:p

P.S.S.S. Now don't anyone tempt me with another TPP Company! I'm satisfied (...I think).

Oh no, it never stops with what you have, it is a rabbit hole that just gets deeper and deeper.

Regards

Perry
Good to see you back again , maybe get that map of mine done and return the material I sent you ?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi Mark,

Cheers, and yes, Panzer is very good IMHO, I have played a whole host of games since I drifted away from ASL, Panzer series, Next war Poland, the L'n'L series, OCS (Hubes pocket (managed to get a mint copy for £28 off of BGG!!!), Baltic Gap, Sicilly, Tunisia II) GDW's Assault series (Managed to get the whole lot un-punched including Reinforcements for under £120!!), have dipped my toe into the Great battles of History series with 'The Great battles of Alexander delux version' re-bought Operation dauntless and Panzergrenadiers 'Kursk southern flank', re-bought and sold on again Combat Commander. have played L2's Streets of Stalingrad from start to finish twice, and bought Conflict of Heroes AwtB 2nd Edition and Storms of Steel first edition. So have been having a good time war game wise, but just thought it was time I returned to ASL again, it will not be my only investment or game of choice, but it will be up there with the main top 3 I play.

all the best

Perry
Also got to say Alan Findlay’s Broken ground counters are an excellent alternative to the Official ones! Some of the variants reduce the need for info counters like wounded leaders fanatic etc

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hi Mark,

all the best

Perry
Ah! And I thought you had dropped wargaming altogether for something more sensible.

Rumour (mark the 'ou' ...) has it that you chaps from the isle are enthusiastic about clipping the lawn with nail scissors so that after a decade or two of meticulous care you are at last convinced that its impeccable apparel might be agreeable to the casual onlooker.

rush_ornamental_grass_green.jpg

Somewhat of a strange whim to those on the contient.

So I would have proposed something that seems much more sensible than a perfect lawn. Of the Germans it is said if you put them on a beach, they immediately dig in. Despite what one might think by first impression, the below picture has not been taken from the backside of the moon. Nor has the place been area bombed. Instead, it shows that there seems to be a grain of truth in those reports. Don't know if they want to be better prepared this time in case of another D-Day, if they finally want so stop refugees right on the beach, or if this is the living proof that Germans in ASL should get a +1 DRM for Entrenching attempts like the Russians...

strandburg.jpg

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Of the Germans it is said if you put them on a beach, they immediately dig in. ...<snip>... Don't know if they want to be better prepared this time in case of another D-Day, if they finally want so stop refugees right on the beach, or if this is the living proof that Germans in ASL should get a +1 DRM for Entrenching attempts like the Russians...
Oh wow, oh wow! I keep thinking about dogs marking their territory! Do neighbouring sand castles besiege each others with trebuchets and scaling ladders? Is this what Germans really do for leisure? Are they expecting a Mongol Horde to attempt to sweep over them?

Ok, a +1 Entrenching DRM, but only in Beach hexes and DTO. Such entrenchments (hereafter known as Holiday Pits) only get a +2 against OBA, a +1 against other fire, but like Foxholes may have a capacity up to 3 squad equivalents.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah! And I thought you had dropped wargaming altogether for something more sensible.

Rumour (mark the 'ou' ...) has it that you chaps from the isle are enthusiastic about clipping the lawn with nail scissors so that after a decade or two of meticulous care you are at last convinced that its impeccable apparel might be agreeable to the casual onlooker.

View attachment 4791

Somewhat of a strange whim to those on the contient.

So I would have proposed something that seems much more sensible than a perfect lawn. Of the Germans it is said if you put them on a beach, they immediately dig in. Despite what one might think by first impression, the below picture has not been taken from the backside of the moon. Nor has the place been area bombed. Instead, it shows that there seems to be a grain of truth in those reports. Don't know if they want to be better prepared this time in case of another D-Day, if they finally want so stop refugees right on the beach, or if this is the living proof that Germans in ASL should get a +1 DRM for Entrenching attempts like the Russians...

View attachment 4792

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Sod sensible, I just lost my ASL mojo when jeff dropped off the face of the earth for some reason, I just do not know why, but it is back now, small steps and then it's back to the bad side of old mother Russia for some heavy metal clashes around Prokhorovka and such like.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played two hours of ASL with @sunoftzu tonight. We are finishing up the big Objective:Schmidt playtest CG we started a while back. It’s the last day. There are rubble and shell holes everywhere and incessant rain just turned everything into mud. The dice was especially bad for my esteemed opponent this evening.

First my 3 OBAs broke US units in droves. One of his leaders was KIA’d trying to take the radio off a broken leader and another of my OBA caught his other observer.

Then none of his CC worked out. On the last one I rolled another snakeeye which killed everyone in a 1:2, created a 8-0 and infiltrated forward.

But not a moan from the man. He was still enthusiastically pointing out tactical options I can consider, straight thru the evening like he always does.

So it’s not hard to see how he manages to bring the number of Taiwan ASL players to 8 via hosting games on weekends. The man can no longer do this in his apartment as the number promises to trend up. He’s got a proper venue now.

The other quiet hero worth mentioning is @ivankent , who steadily brings the regional VASL tournament “Deathwish” into another year, with WIDE participation from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore & China.

When you think of the growth of the ASL population in Asia, think of these two gentlemen.

Rgds Jack

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Sod sensible, I just lost my ASL mojo when jeff dropped off the face of the earth for some reason, I just do not know why, but it is back now, small steps and then it's back to the bad side of old mother Russia for some heavy metal clashes around Prokhorovka and such like.
It is hard to get back on the horse after you fall off (...but be sure not to "get on the wagon" instead!). When I took a break from ASL it lasted decades.

As for getting rid of some of your stuff, look on the bright side: you won't feel like a sucker when MMP re-releases the same stuff with those oh-so-tempting extras (personally, I can't wait to punch and clip the French and Italian OoB all over again!).

But it's good to see you back, Perry. I still thank you for sending me a certain "black-market" item when I first joined the Forum. And where is that Jeffhew?! He seemed a good guy!:dontknow

[YIKES! This was my 1000th post. Drat! I guess I'll save the previously planned restrospective, clip-episode for #10,000)].

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
the regional VASL tournament “Deathwish” into another year, with WIDE participation from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore & China
Ahem.

But yes, we are very grateful to Ivan for making this event happen. It's given me the opportunity to lose to, err, play a number of classy new opponents and keep up with old friends.