Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Mostly Swedish citizens, of course.

What I was trying to say that the SV pack was about a Finnish Army unit manned by Swedes, not a Swedish Army unit (manned by Swedes), so SV does no preclude Sparky's being the first to have a Swedish Army unit.
Hint, it will be the first ASL scenario I've ever known to have the regular Swedish Army in it, and participating directly in an ASL scenario.
Congo?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I remember years ago (decades?) i read an article in View from the Trenches about the "half track blitz", in a Red Barricades write up. It was a plan to run half tracks down the eastern side of the board, I've gone through all the back editions of VftT's but been unable to find it.

Anyway, thats what i did in ASL today.

(Does anyone remember an article like this, or which VftT it might be in???)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I remember years ago (decades?) i read an article in View from the Trenches about the "half track blitz", in a Red Barricades write up. It was a plan to run half tracks down the eastern side of the board, I've gone through all the back editions of VftT's but been unable to find it.

Anyway, thats what i did in ASL today.

(Does anyone remember an article like this, or which VftT it might be in???)
That used to be a viable plan until Russian players started putting trenches down to stop the HT. It might still catch out the unwary though.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Set up three scenarios for solo play: SoN 8 Last Hope at New Flower, FT103 Slava! , and SP166 Bluejacket Attack.
100_3671.JPG100_3680.JPG100_3685.JPG

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Isn't that the OzB cover?
That's right. "A War between the Soviet Union and Germany" from China. 铁血苏德

Just started reading it on the bus going home. Looks like a pretty decent production ... but having said that, this is only mass market / retail history.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC wasn't that painting of the storming of Sevastopol, Sapun Ridge during its recapture in 1944

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Think about using the German balance. ROAR shows it as pro-Russian.
Eh, 107 out of 183 is only 58% pro-Russian. The scenario may be pro-Russian but the only way to know for sure is to play it. Those numbers, by themselves, do not support the assertion that the scenario needs help, although they do support the assertion that the scenario may be pro-Russian. Personally, just looking at the numbers, I would not apply any balance without more information and/or direct experience with the scenario. (I've played the scenario and I thought it was fine, although I had some early good luck as the Russians which certainly helped matters. I would say that the German player can't afford to make many mistakes.)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looked at the rules & stuff that pertains to PTO at Night, especially for the Marines defending against IJA.
Any articles on this topic?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There doesn't seem to be a topic to handle daily ASL life. So here's a place to discuss ASL daily living here on Gamesquad.

Today I'm finally cutting out the overlays from AoO. Also reorganizing my overlay storage system.

Also setting up a playtest of a Japanese attack on a fortified Chinese village.

Decided it was time to get my ASL mojo back on, have set up S2 'War of the Rats' have not played since September 2016 when me and Jeff Hewitt (if you are out there Jeff let me know you are still alive) were fighting our Singling Campaign when Jeff went strangely 'off-line' and no one has heard from him since. So I am off into the world of ASL again, slow and steady and am sort of doing ASLSK with whistles and bells for the first few scenario, just to file off the rough edges then back into full blown ASL with a VotG campaign game I think.

All the best

Perry

P.S anyone got any spare Black SS counters/ counter sets, sold mine last years and am regretting it big time.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Decided it was time to get my ASL mojo back on, have set up S2 'War of the Rats' have not played since September 2016 when me and Jeff Hewitt (if you are out there Jeff let me know you are still alive) were fighting our Singling Campaign when Jeff went strangely 'off-line' and no one has heard from him since. So I am off into the world of ASL again, slow and steady and am sort of doing ASLSK with whistles and bells for the first few scenario, just to file off the rough edges then back into full blown ASL with a VotG campaign game I think.

All the best

Perry

P.S anyone got any spare Black SS counters/ counter sets, sold mine last years and am regretting it big time.
Mate, welcome back!

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
First off, BLOODY WELL DONE!!

P.S. How long until my neck and shoulders recover?

After I did ASLSK#1,BV & Yanks in once sitting I was ok again after a week. Although I clipped all mine with a set of nail clippers and my right thumb pad is still numb after 4 years!!.

P.S.S. Curse the Forumites who tempt impressionable minds into the black arts of counter clipping!

I blame Olli, simplest way........:p

P.S.S.S. Now don't anyone tempt me with another TPP Company! I'm satisfied (...I think).

Oh no, it never stops with what you have, it is a rabbit hole that just gets deeper and deeper.

Regards

Perry

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

All the best

Perry

Welcome back, Perry!
And never sell any kit. Selling one's ASL kit is an expensive undertaking for oneself - in the end. ;)

von Marwitz

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Welcome back, Perry!
And never sell any kit. Selling one's ASL kit is an expensive undertaking for oneself - in the end. ;)

von Marwitz
Hi Von M, and thank you. Yep, regret that one big time, had the full orbat from a bridge to far and all the HoB ss counters, a really nice set, moment of insane madness, sold them and 2 sets of Brits and all my Allied and axis minors, and my Chinese!! just got 5 sets of Russians, 5 sets of Germans (blue) and 2 sets of Yanks and a set of Japs left now. will hopefully be able to rebuild what I have sold off over the next few years but we swill see.

all the best

Perry

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell yeah man. I seriously considered selling off everything as I didn't think I'd play ASL again. However I decided to hang on to it. Win for the bank account there. It needed the win, even with asterisk attached, since it is getting posterized by the spending spree upon returning just to get caught up with years of missed releases. God help me if I had got rid of it and decided I wanted to play again. The spousal unit might have knifed me or simply changed the locks on me if that had happened.