Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Expert opinion here at GS seems to be ignore the farm and keep any of the reinforcing units out... This has me reconsidering what sort of defense I can construct with an eye to keeping out the reinforcements. It's just these sort of dilemmas are what make ASL such a wonderful game for me.
I played this by keeping the reinforcements out rather than attacking the farm, but my opponent helped me by then leaving his force in the farm quiescent. If he had used them to attack toward the other force, that would have helped him greatly. If not attacking into it, one still has to keep an eye on the farm lest some of the pocket get out and cause mischief. I'm not sure that one strategy is substantially better than the other.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If not attacking into it, one still has to keep an eye on the farm lest some of the pocket get out and cause mischief. I'm not sure that one strategy is substantially better than the other.
I'm thinking that with grain not in season, one can move one's MMG and PaK pretty far back from the reinforcement entry. In this capacity, these assets can do double duty - firelane (with the MMG) against reinforcements reaching the farm and clear fields of fire should units in the farm feel like leaving the cover of their buildings and walls. I don't plan to leave the buildings completely unattended, but thinking that I will likely concentrate more on slowing the reinforcements (they've got to hustle a bit to get to the farm before the clock runs out).

Just seems like a very nice range of possibilities for both sides, so has been fun to start thinking about. Given my limited experience, once play starts the scenario never unfolds the way I had thought/planned... but that just makes the playing all that much more fun.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The pocket platoon are dangerous because they are fanatic even when they leave the farm and because their death means nothing directly to the VC. They are ML 9 (ML 10 for the leader), and they can freely deploy at start. If they advance out at first to avoid the FFMO/FFNAM double-whammy on the road, they may be able to help open a corridor to the farm through the brush. Even if they don't clear very much themselves the German has to deal with them in his backfield. With ML 9 these French aren't likely to run away in the face of a four FP flat shot (e.g. from a MMG or a the 37L). If the Germans do not attack the farm then probably two or three halfsquads can go out and stir up what trouble they can. Unless they are tying down a whole heap of Germans I think the French should poke around to see what they can achieve.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pocket platoon are dangerous because they are fanatic even when they leave the farm and because their death means nothing directly to the VC. <SNIP> Unless they are tying down a whole heap of Germans I think the French should poke around to see what they can achieve.
This discussion has me very excited to give this scenario a play. It's a shame that I've got to wait more than a week to finally sit down and give this a play. I've got the Germans and my friend the French. I can't wait to find out how he plays this.

Dave

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If the Germans set up the reinforcement defense and don't threaten the farm, the French player may be so relieved that he fails to consider what to do with those units. That is a mistake, I think. The entire force could leave the farm, as long as the Germans don't get in behind them. One problem the pocket platoon has is that broken halfsquads are not trivial to bring back from under DM (five or better in a building with the -1 leader). If they are unlucky from one attack their excursion might falter. On the other hand they may be able put out an eye or two with lucky shots themselves, especially if the halfsquads keep together and firegroup. Then it's all fun and games.

JR

Last edited:

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got a response to my first "official" rules question to Perry! Look at me, contributing to the hobby, if only a tiny bit.

Now if Klas decides to include it in the Q&A compendium, I'll be a little smug.

If it provokes an errata, I shall be quite tickled!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think Klas excludes anything from the Q&A, unless perhaps it has been incorporated into the official rules and/or has been over-ruled.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think Klas excludes anything from the Q&A, unless perhaps it has been incorporated into the official rules and/or has been over-ruled.
I include almost (not ASLSK e.g.) everything that is posted on GS. Those that become errata/overturned are moved to the obsolete section.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In my long-standing project of getting all my scenario library organized, today I transfered a few hundred scanned scenarios to my newly acquired large-screen e-ink reader. Full-page PDF rendering, even in greyscale, is really a wonderful thing. (And for what it's worth: the textured German counters in the scenarios of the latest FTC pack don't scan too well - the names of vehicles become real hard to read)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cancelled my order of Forgotten War. I ordered it on 29th December 2012 apparently and now they want me to pay for it. First ASL related thing I've done since bout march 2016.