Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now we just have to get at the root of scenario designers' obvious anti-Canadian bias! Time to saddle up the battle moose!
Ah, but no Lone Canuk scenarios added I believe nor VFTT ones. These would seriously alter the input somewhat!:nod:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah, but no Lone Canuk scenarios added I believe nor VFTT ones. These would seriously alter the input somewhat!:nod:
Yeah .. if Knudsen is referring to the OB used by different publishers in the earlier part of the "analysis" .. then yes, you are right.

If Knudsen's referring to the ROAR results at the end of it .. then it includes everything.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Here, it's Chris ;)
Same here. I'd noticed a while back how many Chris' play ASL, versus how many I've met in real life, and it came to me that it was a very popular boy's name in the mid-60s/mid-70s when many of us were born. The same with John and Paul, et al.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yeah, in France for some reason in the 60s the popular boy's name was Philippe (maybe it's just that it was kind of a taboo name for about a generation starting in the mid-40s after Petain - then came back in favor when young parents appeared who didn't remember the war). Anyway, there's at least 4 of us active in the French ASL forum (the others including prolific scenario designer Philippe Naud, and some guy who recently had some health problem at ASLOK).

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I cut out the overlays from ITR2 because I might need them at the New York State ASL Championship in Albany. Packed the necessary ASL gear for the trip as well.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been going through "The Da Paul Challenge" and working up a list of all the vehicles that have been identified to date-fairly formidable I might add.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Been going through "The Da Paul Challenge" and working up a list of all the vehicles that have been identified to date-fairly formidable I might add.
That way lies madness! :mad::D

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally pulled all the scenario cards out of core module boxes and Action Packs and got them into binders. With three full binders, it will certainly make it easier to peruse scenarios in order to pick something to play. I guess that at some point I need to scan scenarios from Journals and Annuals to get them into the binders, as well.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I finally pulled all the scenario cards out of core module boxes and Action Packs and got them into binders. With three full binders, it will certainly make it easier to peruse scenarios in order to pick something to play. I guess that at some point I need to scan scenarios from Journals and Annuals to get them into the binders, as well.
I have always put my purchased scenarios into binders, but before doing that, I read them and pick one to four of them for my "to play" binder. That way, I know I will never buy something and not play it.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I finally sorted and sleeved (until I ran out) all scenarios and placed them in the appropriate binders.
I had a big stack of unopened APs and WO packs to sort, since I'm playing SK currently.
Also put in the burn pile all my superseded rules pages.
All the while catching up on T2HS episodes. :)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Got the two last towers to laquer then install the tray rubber and foam base. 12 to pack and ship.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I pulled out counters and puzzled over the German set-up for J183 "A Real Barn Burner," getting ready for an upcoming game with a friend. So many options for the Germans that it's a bit daunting... I'm thinking about the MMG in a foxhole in 43H8 - this will give a nice long firelane along the road and the MG can also support an assault against the fanatic stronghold. I haven't figured out the best use of the PaK yet, and I am still weighing how to balance the Germans between attacking the stronghold and preventing the reinforcements from arriving. I feel like I will probably leave a fairly small delaying force in the island of woods and then push hard to capture the Bois-Du-Seuil Farm (relying a bit on what I think is a slightly cautious tendency of my opponent). Hoping that I can make a final defensive stand in the farm to hold off the relief force. (Though those fanatics in the farm are not to be taken lightly - I worry that I'll bleed myself white trying to take the farm and then not have enough strength to hold off the final push of the relief force.) So many things to consider... I'm really looking forward to giving this unusual scenario a play!

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I pulled out counters and puzzled over the German set-up for J183 "A Real Barn Burner," getting ready for an upcoming game with a friend. So many options for the Germans that it's a bit daunting... I'm thinking about the MMG in a foxhole in 43H8 - this will give a nice long firelane along the road and the MG can also support an assault against the fanatic stronghold. I haven't figured out the best use of the PaK yet, and I am still weighing how to balance the Germans between attacking the stronghold and preventing the reinforcements from arriving. I feel like I will probably leave a fairly small delaying force in the island of woods and then push hard to capture the Bois-Du-Seuil Farm (relying a bit on what I think is a slightly cautious tendency of my opponent). Hoping that I can make a final defensive stand in the farm to hold off the relief force. (Though those fanatics in the farm are not to be taken lightly - I worry that I'll bleed myself white trying to take the farm and then not have enough strength to hold off the final push of the relief force.) So many things to consider... I'm really looking forward to giving this unusual scenario a play!
I played this scenario as the Germans some months ago, and followed a similar train of thought. If you can eliminate the farm's defenders before the relief force arrives, you're in an excellent position.

For the assault, you have two possible strengths: CC (Fanatics don't fight better in CC), and the fact that, being surrounded, the Fanatics typically have nowhere to rout to (except up) if they ever break. So all it takes is a little bad luck on the French part.

In my playing it went extremely well for me - the relief force got seriously delayed, and the defenders did suffer from bad luck, so I got most of my force into the farm well in advance. But this was more due to luck than expert play on my part.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this scenario as the Germans some months ago, and followed a similar train of thought. If you can eliminate the farm's defenders before the relief force arrives, you're in an excellent position.
Expert opinion here at GS seems to be ignore the farm and keep any of the reinforcing units out... This has me reconsidering what sort of defense I can construct with an eye to keeping out the reinforcements. It's just these sort of dilemmas are what make ASL such a wonderful game for me.