Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a couple more Plano 3701, so finally punched the rest of my German AFV counters from BV and got them organized and stowed. I've also set up and am solitaire playing FT170, "The Road to Juniville" - a great exercise in helping me play through all sorts of AFV and vehicle rules.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a hectic Summer where the vast majority of my ASL was solitaire, I'm getting to shake off the dust this evening. I'll be getting together with friend (and ASL old-timer) Mike Balis to finish a scenario that we started months ago - "Wise's War." I think that Mike is going to get the best of me, but if I can get a couple of lucky rolls... (You know that you're a bad player when your best strategy is to pray that Fortuna will intercede for you.)

Post Script: Luck was on my side when it mattered last night. Last good order unit on the last turn (all others were in melee or broken); I was encircled but the half-squad had an heroic leader. My opponent advances his big stack into my hex, needing only an inconclusive CC. Ambush roll and I toss a one and him a six - promising... I get ambush and sequential close combat. Next, CC roll at 1 to 4 (my heroic hold outs against Mike's killer pile of counters). I throw snakes! Game over! He's got nothing left to toss at my guys. Very exciting finish to the scenario. Mike deserved the win, but I'll take the good fortune.

Last edited:

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was a good weekend for ASL.
I organized a copy of AoO that I picked up for less than a kidney.
Got in a f2f game of Belgian Blitzkrieg at one of the Atlanta monthly get club meetings. Lost as the Belgians but continue to learn lessons (Rout Paths!!!!)
Finished up a VASL game of Grab and Go and lost as the Russians but did take it to the last turn. My opponent went on a rate tear with a 1/2 squad manning an MMG with a 9-2 leader and killed 2.5 squads, broke 2 squads and wounded my 9-1 leader all in the German 6th Prep phase. That ripped it as that group was in the open and my plan was to break them with 2 squads + LMG and then exit the other 2.5 and leader. Alas, the best laid plans fall to the fates of the dice. Fun scenario and more lessons learned. If I was the Russians again, I might just try a bum rush of my whole force against one flank with the superior numbers to create a large exit. Lots of ways to play that one with the multiple layers of VC.
Starting a VASL setup for Here We Stand as my next online matchup.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-Solo play of my scenario Tennis Anyone? for Festung Budapest (fictional scenario inspired by Paul Ybarrondo and a pic he took of his FB game)
-read the SL Commando campaign from Annual 92 to see if can convert to ASL
-did some proofreading for George Kelln on his Konigsberg module

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Continuing work on punching, clipping and sorting into Darice containers the countermix. Clipped the Hungarians this evening. Up next are the Chinese.

Did some proofreading for an upcoming product.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Updating the rulebook...J10 is in...HP is in....J11 is half way done.....thank God J12 is only 2 pages....And thanks to all those who took the time to make the sticky errata files and the Texas ASL website for keeping the files.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Continuing work on punching, clipping and sorting into Darice containers the countermix. Clipped the Hungarians this evening. Up next are the Chinese.

Did some proofreading for an upcoming product.
Which kind of Darice? and how many counters (1/2" or 5/8") fit in each small container?

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Which kind of Darice? and how many counters (1/2" or 5/8") fit in each small container?

Alan:

I'm using the 32 compartment unit:

https://www.darice.com/store/details/catalog/wholesale-organizers-jewelry/1157-11

It is actually a beading container; the bottom of each compartment is rounded, the dividers are molded in place and the top half has molded ridges in it that fit down over each compartment preventing "counter creep".

It is virtually the same size as the Plano 3701. The 32 compartments are in a 4x8 pattern vs Plano's 4x7/1x6 setup. Each compartment is a little larger than the corresponding Plano.

Here is a picture of my Russian box:

Russian OoB.jpeg

This is Beyond Valor and Valor of the Guards. May have to change things up a bit when Red Factories comes out.

I have the Finns and the Allied Minors in a box together:

Allied Minors and Finns.jpeg

The Germans comprise two boxes:

German Infantry.jpeg German Ordnance and Vehicles.jpeg

U.S. infantry fills one box; I'm considering combining the U.S. Ord/Veh with the Hungarian (less Festung Budapest) OoB in one box. British OoB will take one box, the Chinese and Axis Minors share a box. For the Japanese, I'm thinking about adding in PTO-specific admin counters to that box. I do not have the French and Italians yet (waiting on you for those!).

My thought is to get the nationality counters into 10 boxes. Admin counters will take 3, possibly 4.

The rationale I'm using is to keep the SMC and MMC counters as accessible as possible. For the Ordnance and Vehicles, I can go denser as they are really only accessed pre-game. It's not like you replace a PzKwIV with a PzKwIII when it takes a hit.

As to density, I just counted the Chinese SW (I have all of them in one compartment) and there are 86 in it; I could probably get another 20 or so in there. There are 62 Axis Minor AA/MTR counters in their compartment with plenty of space left.

I'm using a variation of Pablo Garcia-Silva's Plano organization method (see Texas ASL Downloads) for labeling. The labels themselves are Avery 5434 labels that have been colored for each nationality.

Cheers,

Mark

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fixed my monitor!!! It's been flickering in and out for more than a week. Somehow it has NEVER gone down in the middle of a game though, so I let it be.

Today it flickered out MID game.

It CROSS THE LINE.

I apologised to Will, my opponent. Even though I thought he suggested that it's a fantastic opportunity to upgrade my monitor ("LOOK wifey, it ain't working!!"), I got a new cable just in case.

It is the cable. It's working again. No new monitor but I am happy nonetheless!!

Rgds Jack

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It is the cable. It's working again. No new monitor but I am happy nonetheless!!
It means also that when the monitor does die you will be able to buy a bigger one than you could buy now, but for the same money!

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got together with the local club for the monthly meeting. Though I was reminded just how much I have to learn (I never really threatened my opponent), I had a blast! Maybe in a couple of decades I'll actually have figured out how to play the game. ;-)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
We're all still learning, really.
Even the best players can still learn something new occasionally.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Alan:

I'm using the 32 compartment unit:

https://www.darice.com/store/details/catalog/wholesale-organizers-jewelry/1157-11

It is actually a beading container; the bottom of each compartment is rounded, the dividers are molded in place and the top half has molded ridges in it that fit down over each compartment preventing "counter creep".

It is virtually the same size as the Plano 3701. The 32 compartments are in a 4x8 pattern vs Plano's 4x7/1x6 setup. Each compartment is a little larger than the corresponding Plano.

Those are my favorites so far.
The rounded bottoms make fishing out counters so much easier than squared compartments.
They are a little smaller than Planos, but like you said, there's never any counter creep, and they usually have enough capacity.
The slimmer height makes for a more compact storage area, also.

I get mine at Walmart, so they shouldn't be hard to find if anyone wants to try them.
They're a bit over $7 Canadian at the moment.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
did some initial work on My 1st Division 'Big Red One' SASL Campaign. I'm going to reorganize the Group SASL campaign I ran several years ago into a SHASL (Solitaire Historical ASL) Campaign.
Daniel, am looking to play a SASL CG so would love to see what you come up with.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I had some of my HASL and S&T maps laminated - I was quite surprised at the cost - just $12 each (Sydney, Australia).

I had not had any maps done for a few years - looks like it's time to do more.......