Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm trying to finally learn AFV (I've been playing infantry-only scenarios). I pushed counters and looked at the "To Hit" and "To Kill" tables while playing through Tom Repetti's excellent "Pumas Prowling" article from View from the Trenches issue 23(?). Then, instead of trying to solitaire scenarios, I tossed some counters on a board (a Pak 40 and a couple of T-34/85 tanks) and played around a bit - this was very helpful! I still have a long way to go to have even an inkling of AFV tactics, but at least the mechanics and application of the various "cases" is starting to gel.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sped thru the middle of Siem Reap on the back of Raphael's motorbike talking to everyone we saw. At one point we dropped off and stood around on the street having a beer with a group of Tuk Tuk drivers.

Then we went to see thousands of giant bat coming out of the trees at dusk ..

This is ASL exotic, Cambodia style.

The fight starts @ 0800 tomorrow, in a French Colonial style hotel with one of these ornate iron grill "see thru" rickety elevators.

Pics will be posted on Angkorfest.wordpress.com (if I don't lose too badly).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah, Tuk Tuk rides through Bangkok... Quite a stroll down memory lane.

Not as much fun though as the "baht Truck" rides to Pattaya Beach.
Ah .. you have ever stood on the street and share a beer with them though? A funny conversation that cycled rapidly between English, French and Khmer. :)

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting up third scenario in SASL Darby's Rangers CG,from LFT issue 11. The Rangers lost the first Mission (Amphibious Landing) by capturing only two of the four VPO's and leaving too many S? counters on the map. This led to playing Pockets Mission,where the Rangers mopped up a disjointed Italian force that were stiffened by a few German troops. Now am setting up Mission Infiltration 1,a Night scenario where the Ranger company must infiltrate ENEMY lines and capture three VPO's.

This CG got me back into playing some SASL and am having a great time with it. Highly recommend this CG to anyone that likes SASL.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sped thru the middle of Siem Reap on the back of Raphael's motorbike talking to everyone we saw. At one point we dropped off and stood around on the street having a beer with a group of Tuk Tuk drivers.

Then we went to see thousands of giant bat coming out of the trees at dusk ..

This is ASL exotic, Cambodia style.

The fight starts @ 0800 tomorrow, in a French Colonial style hotel with one of these ornate iron grill "see thru" rickety elevators.

Pics will be posted on Angkorfest.wordpress.com (if I don't lose too badly).
No AC? With ROOM FULL OF ASL PLAYERS?

farco

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished clipping BVo_O
Will start a SK scenario tomorrow.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished the last Mission in my SASL CG Darby's Rangers at Anzio, titled "Breaking the Kraut's Back" ,from LFT issue 11. Mission VC revolves around most CVP for both sides,with Axis receiving CVP for any S? counters left on-board at game end. US forces overwhelmed German defense winning 76-36 and earning 2 CG VP,for a total of 4 CG VP for the CG,resulting in a Draw for the campaign.

Highly recommend this campaign to anyone that likes SASL,especially historical campaigns.