Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday called the solo scenario was playing from LCP, Take That Bridge from ASL For Fun series.

US para squad fires 60 mortar at German 88 in sandbag emplacement that was guarding the bridge in the pic and blew it away on a CH.Then US para squad in picture had gone Berserk,charged across the bridge before German spotter could get any 105 arty onto the bridge and got into hex with defending German 4-4-7 squad,which Broke in FPF then was wiped out in CC. Next turn a Guards Armored Sherman closes down and makes a run across the bridge thru German arty and makes it.American paratroopers flush out the German spotter (whom escapes out of CC by getting Ambush) but capture+eliminate his field phone in church steeple.

Called it on turn 7 as Germans lacked the strength to recapture the bridge,as they were barely holding the other two in center of town.

Like to think Giles Vandeleur got his own bridge in Holland.

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Then US para squad in picture had gone Berserk,charged across the bridge before German spotter could get any 105 arty onto the bridge and got into hex with defending German 4-4-7 squad,which Broke in FPF then was wiped out in CC.
When the Berserk unit entered the hex, a CC marker should have been placed to indicate that the Location was not a Melee [A15.432]. The Berserk unit could fire during the AFPh, but during the RtPh surviving broken units *must* rout away or be eliminated for failure to rout because the Location was not yet a Melee. The broken 4-4-7 should not have been present during the CCPh. If the Berserk unit did not eliminate the broken unit in the AFPh it would remain Berserk.

JR

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When the Berserk unit entered the hex, a CC marker should have been placed to indicate that the Location was not a Melee [A15.432]. The Berserk unit could fire during the AFPh, but during the RtPh surviving broken units *must* rout away or be eliminated for failure to rout because the Location was not yet a Melee. The broken 4-4-7 should not have been present during the CCPh. If the Berserk unit did not eliminate the broken unit in the AFPh it would remain Berserk.

JR
I did mark the hex with CC counter but made mistake in thinking Broken German squad could NOT Rout out of the hex---found out about this 3 turns later;so A.2 on this then. Thanks for the clarification.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Today I started my Bristol cut-and-paste project to turn my 5-compartment Raaco A75 inserts into 20-compartment, for better 5/8" counter storage. It looks like it's going to be a lot of work, partly because my home printer won't work on material that thick - I may try with the printers at work.

I'll probably post some pictures and files when the scheme is perfected - at the moment it's still very experimental :)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Playtest recruiting, new scenario designs for the pipeline, and 1 - 1 in my matches on Sunday. Productive weekend!

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gah! Today in ASL I learned a lesson. I was setting up Silence That Gun for solo play. I skimmed the SSR and #1 began "EC are mild" and I moved on. Then I spent an hour or more thinking about where to locate the gun and settled on one of the hills, anchoring my defense there. With the defense set, I set up the attackers and gave one last read of the SSR before starting. It was then that I saw that SSR #1 continued "all hills are treated as marsh." Doh! Time to pull all the counters off the board and start again. C'est la vie.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the defense set, I set up the attackers and gave one last read of the SSR before starting. It was then that I saw that SSR #1 continued "all hills are treated as marsh." Doh! Time to pull all the counters off the board and start again. C'est la vie.
This the type of SSR which I watch out for, which guarantees that I will NOT be playing that scenario.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This the type of SSR which I watch out for, which guarantees that I will NOT be playing that scenario.
I returned from NE Nigeria (Boko Haram country) a week ago and sent out a mail to my five ASL gang members in Nova Scotia. Got responses from four. First game set up for this Thursday....and another one end of August during our traditional family trip to Yarmouth, where Dave Olie is always the gracious host (and fun opponent).

Nice to be home !

And of course, going to ASLOK in October.....very excited about that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do agree for FtF play. For purposes of VASL, I do not mind such SSR as long as it can easily tackle such terrain changes.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm pretty sure Silence that Gun was the very first scenario I played that included a Gun - that, or Zon with the Wind. The scenario is pretty good, just setting your mind so that hills become, in effect, "don't go there" terrain is not that hard. (It's one of those old-style scenarios with 3 boards, but it's pretty likely no counter will ever move from the center board...)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario is pretty good, just setting your mind so that hills become, in effect, "don't go there" terrain is not that hard. (It's one of those old-style scenarios with 3 boards, but it's pretty likely no counter will ever move from the center board...)
I agree that this adjustment is not all that hard to make. I was just kicking myself for assuming that SSR #1 was "just the usual stuff" and not reading it carefully until I had already set up everything. I also agree that three boards might be a bit more than necessary. I was using the east board when I thought that I could put the gun on a hilltop and still support my fortified location (and still cover the road, as required). Now it seems pretty likely that no unit will ever leave the center board.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...I was just kicking myself for assuming that SSR #1 was "just the usual stuff" and not reading it carefully until I had already set up everything. ....
In general, SSR1 is where you will often find "Woods is Brush"....'Orchards are Olive Groves'..."Despite the month Grain is in season.' So never take SSR1 for granted. Not even to assume "Kindling is NA."

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There are a few older ASL scenarios that include more boards than seems necessary. It may have been a holdover from folks used to designing SL scenarios, many of which not only used more boards than required, but also added many unnecessary game turns -- in some of them half the game would be simply moving units to a position where the fighting could actually start. Maybe there was a TAHGC policy (or guideline) of "there are lots of boards now, use as many as possible" or maybe it was something simpler like "players like big, sprawling maps". Regardless of the reason, nowadays the designs often just seem a bit weird.

There might be some merit to doing new versions of some of those older scenarios using modern scenario design approaches and tools. Obviously some situations already have multiple scenario depictions, usually from different publishers (and those different depictions sometimes reveal interesting alternative approaches to the same basic design problem), but I'm thinking specifically of "redesigning the original scenario" as opposed to "create a new scenario on the same action". That is, the new version should be reminiscent of the original in some way. A thought experiment, at least, that might be interesting to some ....