Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
as a newb i am acquiring components (my obsessive nature is coming out) and trolling around trying to fine f2f opponents to learn the game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A small afterthought to the idea of "sidetrays" next to the playing area using a nifty RAACO part described in this post:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/today-in-asl-i-day-to-day-asl-doings.105569/page-204#post-1859464

If you use two of the described trays to "sandwich" four inserts and fix the whole affair with two strong rubber bands, you have something of a box which is absolutely safe vs. countercreep and might be very handy for keeping pre-selected scenario OoBs for a small travelling set.

Here's how it looks like (except for the rubber bands):

030 Sidetray 02.jpg

029 Sidetray 01.jpg

von Marwitz

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Took delivery of a used batch I got on Ebay - VotG, KGS, Partisan, and DTW. Got it for USD $190, which is about what an as new VoTG goes for on Ebay nowadays. I took a risk - the seller is unfamiliar with the system, and so there was a possibility that there would be things missing, although the photos reassured me that all the major components were there.

So after a few hours of counter organizing, I basically hit the jackpot! There are 6 counters missing out of almost 1700 in the 3 modules, and this is more than balanced by an extra 2 big baggies of CH ASLComp German and Russian counters - troops, SWs, vehicles, and guns. Not too sure what these are from, and there are some weird "Revetment", "Emplacement", and "Blockhouse" counters that are mixed in too, but they are totally usable.

But I am pretty happy, and ready to get home and get cracking on KGS!

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Reacquainting myself with wadis and board 25 in general in preparation for BFP-70 Emperor Of Shozu Hill. It's been a long time since I've mucked around on that map! :nod:

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reacquainting myself with wadis and board 25 in general in preparation for BFP-70 Emperor Of Shozu Hill. It's been a long time since I've mucked around on that map! :nod:
That map always drives me away. If you can master the elevations on board 25 you are truly worthy of the title "ASL Grand Master".

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
After having finished playing J175 Bedburg Bite last Thursday and LFT183 Partisan Stronghold last Friday, I've prepared a VASL file for the next game. The screenshots (as below for all three) are also available at the ASL Scenario Archive.

AP093 Best Think Again Scenario Archive.jpg

von Marwitz

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday I read the rules concerning Foxholes, Wire, and Roadblocks. Next comes Motorcycles and HIP units. A hearty "Well done!" to anyone who can guess what (classic) scenario I'm trying to build to playing.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After having finished playing J175 Bedburg Bite last Thursday and LFT183 Partisan Stronghold last Friday, I've prepared a VASL file for the next game. The screenshots (as below for all three) are also available at the ASL Scenario Archive.

View attachment 1218

von Marwitz
Pay special attention to the fact the German armor enters on the same board edge as the Russians I've seen this played wrong several times (& done it wrong myself). At first glance one almost automatically assumes they come in on the opposite board edge.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I looked through a couple of the latest AP's to find all-infantry scenarios (or close to it - maybe 1-2 guns) to play against my buddy who is not a noob but is still a little green. Didn't find much. He does keep up with all the latest official product, so I kinda wanted to play something newer, on a newer map.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally got to play my first 2 scenarios yesterday with some of the great guys from the local club. They were super patient and helpful as we played 'Retaking Vierville' and then 'Simple Equation' walking me step by step through everything. We probably wound up mixing in pieces of the full ASL rule book which is fine by me as that is where I am headed. I am hooked. Now trying to get up to VASL speed so I can try and retain everything (well most of) what I learned yesterday. The most helpful thing was really probably just being able to repeat the sequence over and over to start committing to memory the steps of play.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally got to play my first 2 scenarios yesterday with some of the great guys from the local club. They were super patient and helpful as we played 'Retaking Vierville' and then 'Simple Equation' walking me step by step through everything. We probably wound up mixing in pieces of the full ASL rule book which is fine by me as that is where I am headed. I am hooked. Now trying to get up to VASL speed so I can try and retain everything (well most of) what I learned yesterday. The most helpful thing was really probably just being able to repeat the sequence over and over to start committing to memory the steps of play.
Glad to see you found a FtF opportunity. VASL is great, but FtF is still the best way to learn the game. That and repetition, as you've discovered. Having your learned opponent/teacher see your body language with any given situation helps immensely in getting into clarifying those points that need it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Pay special attention to the fact the German armor enters on the same board edge as the Russians I've seen this played wrong several times (& done it wrong myself). At first glance one almost automatically assumes they come in on the opposite board edge.
In fact, I was aware of it (playing the German), but my opponent did only realize this during the game. He might have played his Russian monster-tanks a bit differently. His tanks had arrived in my rear area poised to cause serious trouble by making routs impossible should some of my units break. On the other side, it allowed my German tanks with less danger to catch the Russian infantry in the open which proved to be their undoing with some German infantry still left in front of them. This led to the Russian conceding and a German win.

von Marwitz

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Took delivery of a used batch I got on Ebay - VotG, KGS, Partisan, and DTW. Got it for USD $190, which is about what an as new VoTG goes for on Ebay nowadays. I took a risk - the seller is unfamiliar with the system, and so there was a possibility that there would be things missing, although the photos reassured me that all the major components were there.

So after a few hours of counter organizing, I basically hit the jackpot! There are 6 counters missing out of almost 1700 in the 3 modules, and this is more than balanced by an extra 2 big baggies of CH ASLComp German and Russian counters - troops, SWs, vehicles, and guns. Not too sure what these are from, and there are some weird "Revetment", "Emplacement", and "Blockhouse" counters that are mixed in too, but they are totally usable.

But I am pretty happy, and ready to get home and get cracking on KGS!
The Revetment, Emplacement and Blockhouse counters will be from the CH Ponyri games ie Gates of Hell or Devils Domain