Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do like the way you set up your VASL scenarios :thumbsup:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Finished S23 (SK3 scenario) with Tom, my son - he won, I left it too long to make a break for it (had to make exit VPs) because his last AT gun was still hidden until the second last turn, and he whacked one of my StuGs on it's way offboard.
Only 4 scenarios left in SK3 and Monday's a holiday so we should get two of them in.

We'll either go on using SK into the Expansion Kit, Decision at Elst, or go full bore into ASL proper, hopefully a HASL.
His choice, of course.

Maybe play a game or two of Breakthrough: Cambrai in the midst of it all.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I do like the way you set up your VASL scenarios :thumbsup:
Thank you. The 'full' versions for my personal use even look better because they include VC, SSR, a picture, and some rules referenced to in the SSR on the left margin. which I cut from what you see here to honor copyright.

What delights me is that in recent times a number of other people have begun to create setups of a more elaborate type, too. I have noticed this when watching some games on the VASL server.

I might have been among the early-birds in doing so and others and I have shared some tricks here how to do it, but if this has possibly been an inspiration to one or the other, I am honored.

Here is a thread with some tips how to do such setups:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/custom-vasl-play-aids.117049/

Unfortunately, the pictures in this thread have 'died' with the old forum but the instructions are still valid.

von Marwitz

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Discovered more German and Russian 1/2 counters in my attic; about 2.5 complete BVv1 punched and inside those tacky plastic trays AH sold separately for Gamers to store their counters inside.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have an original, original ASL rulebook (1985 baby!). But, she's banged up. She's good, very usable, but banged up and i'm looking to retire her.

How good is the ASL Pocketbook edition? I like the idea of "smaller" pages. But the paper is "lighter" and it doesn't have all the tables (to hit, to kill etc). Is the pocketbook edition worth getting instead of the full 2nd edition rules? What have other people done when their rulebooks have reached the end of their useful life (pocketbooks, rules only or rules with binder)???

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My pocket rulebook replaced the original in my usage (I have both editions of the binder; the 1st ed. is showing signs of wear, but still mostly usable - I did make a long break in ASL play). I read it in my bed when refreshing my rules knowledge, took it on various trips, and now keep it by my PC for VASL games - though having an electronic version beats it for VASL. The low volume really makes a huge difference (and I use the LFT Rat Pocket Charts, so not having the tables included in the Pocket RB does not matter much for me).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have an original, original ASL rulebook (1985 baby!). But, she's banged up. She's good, very usable, but banged up and i'm looking to retire her.

How good is the ASL Pocketbook edition? I like the idea of "smaller" pages. But the paper is "lighter" and it doesn't have all the tables (to hit, to kill etc). Is the pocketbook edition worth getting instead of the full 2nd edition rules? What have other people done when their rulebooks have reached the end of their useful life (pocketbooks, rules only or rules with binder)???
If you have keen eyes, then the pocket ASLRB is almost as good as the big one, but it does lack the chapter dividers (which might be available separetely). And the pocket version has chapters F and G in it IIRC, which are not in the big one. I do not know about durability of the pocket version, but it is much more handy to keep next to the playing area.

You could buy it and see if it fits your needs. If it is insufficient, you can still buy the big one extra.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
pASLRB is not a substitute for the full 2nd edition rules, it is an accessory to it. How useful an accessory it is depends on your personal needs and habits.

No, it doesn't come with the chapter dividers. The chapter dividers that you can buy separately are the same as you buy when you get the full rules binder, i.e., they're out of date (they don't reflect the changes that came with HP). Currently the only way to get up-to-date dividers is the combination of those that come with the rules + the replacements provided in HP. Of course you also need RS to get the up-to-date Chapter G dividers. There is currently no way at all of getting the Chapter F divider, which was only ever supplied with WoA. As mentioned above, LFT's Rat Charts go a long way towards making up for this and should be considered as an optional purchase to go along with the pASLRB.

One of the most convenient aspects of the pASLRB is that it has all of the official errata for the chapters it contains in one place (including replacement pages) up to and including Journal 10. I recommend marking the affected rules sections so you know to look them up when required.

I wouldn't recommend continuing the use of the 1st edition rules at all. If you have them to look stuff up when you need to, a lot of the time, the things you are looking up will have changed in 2nd edition (although in most cases the changes will be minor). 2nd edition has been around since 2000, it's hardly new-fangled.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would this be? Has ALL the same stuff in it... I don't have a clue why someone would need to buy the big binder these days...
Possible replacement pages or Sticky Errata? How about ease of posting pen & Ink changes to the rules per line item errata? I can think of a few.:rolleyes:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Why would this be? Has ALL the same stuff in it... I don't have a clue why someone would need to buy the big binder these days...
The pocket edition does not have the German/Russian Chapter H, nor most of the charts - all of which are needed.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Mmm maybe i'll just get the big 2nd edition.

I thought (hoped) if the pocket book had everything in it, or was a pretty good summary, i'd know enough already to get by using a cliff notes version pocketbook that was also smaller in size.

My own chapter dividers are in pretty good shape, but i'm thinking if i retire my original folder i'll retire all of it and would need to buy chapter dividers anyway (or just get a full 2nd edition). Thanks for the discussion though guys, thats why the forums here eh.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The pASLRB ist not that expensive, though. It does make a good companion to the big one.

Personally, I was very sceptical about it at first (especially since I mostly use an eASLRB). After some hesitation I bought it and have not regretted it.

von Marwitz