Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Since early November last year and (too many) weeks of organizing counters I FINALLY get back to playing the friggin' game... :jig:

VASL file sent to opponent, waiting for a date to play.

von Marwitz

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting up a Platoon Leader mini-CG,Cemetery Hill,for solo play.
Looking thru Festung Budapest scenarios to pick one also for solo play (leaning toward HKL 259.)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nothing, absolutely nothing ASL based at all, (in fact not done anything ASL based in a while now.......).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maps man, Maps!
:D:D:D, well between playing Streets of Stalingrad L2's version, Old School Tactical, Jack Radeys Korsun Pocket, and learning GMT's Panzer ASL has taken a massive back seat, I will get my Mojo back as it were, just gotta get motivated, I am staring at the completed DTW map I have done and printed off, needs a few tweaks and then I can fire it off to Big Al so he can VASL it all for us to play on.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very early this morning worked on Cemetery Hill prelim setup of Allies.
Cemetery Hill Allied set up.JPG Greek defenses at Cemetery Hill.JPG NZ Rifle platoon on Pink HIll.JPG

NZ platoon on Pink Hill also has a 2-4-8 manning a MMG in hex Y5 (under the 4-5-7 squad in same hex.)

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Punched, sorted and placed into temporary "Snack-size" baggies the entire Russian sheet #2 of vehicles. This one has the German Armed Trucks, and other transport vehicles in the lower right corner. Depending upon what version of BV, you get the Red & Blue FFE items, or the Finn "?" Sniper and German 81mm + 37 AT Gun....

The Russians start with two JS3, SU76M, all the SPs, then the Armored Cars, Armed HT, 37L(6) SP, Armed Trucks and all the transports.

I forgot to mention that there were "14" counter-sheets to punch and sort. I just remembered I have a BV1 and a shrink-wrapped BVv3, but they are going to my Grandson when he turns eight.

I have 14 Russian AFV #1 counter sheets to punch and sort next week. I finally have time to get this sorting done.

I only have four sets of German AFVs (three sheets each) to punch and sort as well. I already have completed about 12 sets so far in the past 18 months. Then I can FINALLY begin the Finns, British and YANKS v2 (x2 copies).

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I did something that I thought I would never do. I broke down and bought one of those 2mm Corner Cutters you guys have been talking about and clipped the counters that came with ITR2. Wow, what a difference. I'm impressed.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Not today, but rather yesterday, I did something very unusual for me. I started a HASL. I know, who saw this coming. I didn't. How ever, I am playing the attacking Germans in VotG. As such, I control the "ASSAULT MOVE" activity that drives me so nuts. We'll see how it goes. I will speak with Scott and maybe we will do an AAR going forward on how things go. This is probably no more than my 3rd attempt to give a HASL a go so I am completely sure I have cocked up something. The entry area for VotG CG IV seems open to some interpretation IMO, especially in light of Mike McGrath's article in Journal 11.

Let's keep this our little secret. I don't want the word getting out. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Today I did something that I thought I would never do. I broke down and bought one of those 2mm Corner Cutters you guys have been talking about and clipped the counters that came with ITR2. Wow, what a difference. I'm impressed.
Only heathens play with unclipped counters. Of course, I should warn you: Once you start down the path to darkness, forever will it dominate your destiny. You have been warned. ;) -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We'll keep the silence - unless we find out that you also started to use the IIFT.
I it used for about one month. I found it changed the way I played the game (for the worse). #NEVERAGAIN -- jim

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not today, but rather yesterday, I did something very unusual for me. I started a HASL. I know, who saw this coming. I didn't. How ever, I am playing the attacking Germans in VotG. As such, I control the "ASSAULT MOVE" activity that drives me so nuts. We'll see how it goes. I will speak with Scott and maybe we will do an AAR going forward on how things go. This is probably no more than my 3rd attempt to give a HASL a go so I am completely sure I have cocked up something. The entry area for VotG CG IV seems open to some interpretation IMO, especially in light of Mike McGrath's article in Journal 11.

Let's keep this our little secret. I don't want the word getting out. -- jim
Yes please on the AAR!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Only heathens play with unclipped counters. Of course, I should warn you: Once you start down the path to darkness, forever will it dominate your destiny. You have been warned. ;) -- jim
I am proud to be a heathen (in more than one sense, apparently!)....
You must understand that Counter Clipping was only a requirement under the old Law or Covenant (SL/CoI/CoD,GI) with John Hill. From 1 ASL (1985 AD/CE), only the new Covenant applies. There have been some sections rephrased and some minor doctrinal matters amended (ASL RB v2) under the various Perry Conclaves, but the raw, minimalist, angry and jealous deity thing is no more, he must have found a good and reliable incense seller. Instead of smiting us when we get out of hand, it uses a massive book to exhaust us before we fight each other.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We'll keep the silence - unless we find out that you also started to use the IIFT.
Funny thing about the IIFT, here in France it seems to have become the de facto standard - in many cases the question of using it is not even asked. From what I've seen and read, is seems that "the rest of the world" mostly still uses the IFT in a similar way - you don't even ask the question.

If the IIFT had originated in a Tactiques or LFT article, I'd put this to some bizarre French pride ("we do it better, they just don't see the light"), but IIRC the IIFT came from an Annual...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Funny thing about the IIFT, here in France it seems to have become the de facto standard - in many cases the question of using it is not even asked. From what I've seen and read, is seems that "the rest of the world" mostly still uses the IFT in a similar way - you don't even ask the question.

If the IIFT had originated in a Tactiques or LFT article, I'd put this to some bizarre French pride ("we do it better, they just don't see the light"), but IIRC the IIFT came from an Annual...
Has it originated in France? I did not know that and thought that it was introduced as an optional rule in ASL Annual 1989 in the article "One-Half FP" by Jay Kaufman. At that time without CTC (Conditional Task Checks).

Anyway, generally it seems to be more often used in Europe than in the US. Then, there is a tendency that long-time players use the IFT (I am convinced a big factor being simple convenience because they have memorized it, though there are COUNTLESS threads with arguments for and against the IFT/IIFT.). Personally, I do prefer the IIFT with CTC (available for Download here at GS in the Resources Section) and 80% of my regular opponents use it (though some of them do not have a preference either way).

So personally, I always ask the question if using IIFT with CTC is ok with my opponent. Only one of my regular opponents clearly prefers the IFT (as I do the IIFT with CTC), so we alternate with each scenario. At tournaments, IFT 'breaks' IIFT when one opponent prefers the former to the latter because the IIFT is an optional rule by the ASLRB. Still, even most of my tournament games are IIFT with CTC.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Has it originated in France? I did not know that and thought that it was introduced as an optional rule in ASL Annual 1989 in the article "One-Half FP" by Jay Kaufman. At that time without CTC (Conditional Task Checks).
Yes, it clearly appeared in one of the Annuals - not sure which, but if you say in was the '89 one, it probably was. I tried to write my sentence so it was clear it was not of French origin; apparently I failed at it...

I agree that the IFT probably makes for faster games, as it is so easy to memorize the important parts of it (quick memo: DR 8 on 8FP is NMC, +1 DRM is mostly equivalent to 1 column shift to the left). I still prefer the IIFT for its "no FP is completely wasted" - with CTC of course (are there still non-CTC versions around?)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Started off with a new scenario on VASL today (AP100 Coal In Their Stockings) to end my playing hiatus with my first VASL-mentor from 2010. Interesting scenario, a lot of fun so far. Made me feel how I missed the game.

Setup for a second scenario is prepared (FrF79 Saving the Center).

And I just finished a VASL file (without setup) for DB124 Death On The Eismeer Straße the map of which I also fed to the ASL Scenario Archive:

DB124 Death On The Eismeerstrasse Scenario Archive.jpg So it was quite a nice day ASL-wise. The best in a long time.

von Marwitz