Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Dave lamb work so always worth picking up

FDBarbarian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with most of what DM says about CH stuff, however there are a few gems, Hells Bridgehead is one and also for my money is Tigers to the Front/Panther line, both well worth getting.
Thanks for the tip. I just picked up HB3 on ebay for 40 bucks. I read it doesn't include the campaign game though. Think I will stay away from here for the rest of the day now.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Based upon the dismal results of my turn 1 PFph, I should have taken this advice.
When Mr Hill Passed a fair few of us played 'The Guards Counter attack' in memory of him and I was pushed into employing the Human wave attack, I lost a few Squads (3.5 IIRC)on the run in but I got into the building and had cleared it out by the end of T2, My Russians had lost the Scenario by end of T4 for all intents of purposes. You are that close to the Germans at start and the amount of fire power they can chuck at you is really not enough to stop you unless they get lucky with their rolls, (I got unlucky after my human wave worked).

link to the AAR.
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/mr-john-hill-sl-1-guards-counter-attack.120963/

Last edited:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
After WAY too long of a hiatus, pulled out the ol' cardboard and played T3 Ranger Stronghold solo. Fun times. I've REALLY gotta do this more...

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I sorted all my miscellaneous counters! I keep my counters (for the moment) in a big nuts and bolts cabinet, but this has been placed on its back lots over the years, and so the counters were badly mixed. I still have US and Russian Ordnance/Vehicles, the Brits, Japanese, Partisans, and the Allied and Axis minors to do (I never did get Croix de Guerre). I am slowly accumulating Plano boxes, so the plan is to eventually transition to those. It went fairly quickly, all things considered. Hopefully I will have the US/Russian vehicles and the Brits done before the end of the week!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Human wave into the building nearest your 6-2-8 Guardsman and roll em up.
If the Germans have not set up MGs with opportunities for firelanes, then their commander has been negligent. With impulse movement the initial attack has its effect then the firelane immediately attacks all other elements of the human wave in the firelanes hexes [A9.222]. These will typically be subject to the FFMO/FFNAM DRM, so depending on the dice a human wave may end rather badly rather than well.

JR

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the Germans have not set up MGs with opportunities for firelanes, then their commander has been negligent. With impulse movement the initial attack has its effect then the firelane immediately attacks all other elements of the human wave in the firelanes hexes [A9.222]. These will typically be subject to the FFMO/FFNAM DRM, so depending on the dice a human wave may end rather badly rather than well.

JR
I got lucky, only had a few MMC broke versus the FL that went in, it was the clearing of the building where I suffered.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Accounting for the skills of my opponent, I can see where his firelanes will appear as soon as my troops swarm on to the street. Regardless, my guys are gonna get schwacked at some point.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished solo play of Bread Factory #2 last night;Germans eked out a victory even after losing all 3 of their starting Leaders in the first 2 turns.

Have Op.Merkur scenario Morning's Peril set up to go for next solo play.Cant seem to post the setup pic on here but did on ASL FB page.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scrapped Morning's Peril scenario due to confusion over Glider landing direction and wind so set up OM4 Umbrella Men instead for solo play tomorrow nite. Before then though I will be playing my buddy Bryan Vieages in FrF11 Rostov Redemption.
Again have pics taken but cant seem to get em to upload here so will post em on ASL Facebook page if anyone interested.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Scrapped Morning's Peril scenario due to confusion over Glider landing direction and wind so set up OM4 Umbrella Men instead for solo play tomorrow nite. Before then though I will be playing my buddy Bryan Vieages in FrF11 Rostov Redemption.
Again have pics taken but cant seem to get em to upload here so will post em on ASL Facebook page if anyone interested.
Look for the "upload a file" buttom in the lower left of the editing window.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion--tried that but told image too large..oh well.

Finished solo play of OM4 Umbrella Men--Germans managed to capture+eliminate the Bofors gun and took half of Maleme village but were driven out. Aussie gun crew used their captured Pak to Break two fully armed FJ squads and allow their ANZAC infantry to drive the FJ platoon out of the large village. Very fun scenario.

Also looked over counters for Italian truck mounted artillery I have (after reading about it in a Squadron Publications book about the subject.)

Took out Soldiers of the Negus to solo one of those scenarios if off next week.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
Exactly! Works against columns, convoys and banzai's too. Real nice rule to have in the memory banks.