Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
The bad thing about this, that with faster speed the frequency of the voices goes up.
The way YouTube and most media players these days implement faster audio playback doesn’t result in a frequency shift. They aren’t naively just playing back the time domain samples faster but are instead doing joint time and frequency domain processing such that they can speed up the audio without increasing frequency. End result is instead of sounding like Chipmunks you sound like the old FedEx ad speed talker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time_stretching_and_pitch_scaling

There is also another technique specifically for speech that just eliminates pauses and gaps in speech. This is popular on “talk radio” stations so they can pack in more ads. Even on a “live” program individual stations will delay the early parts of the program with more advertising knowing that they will “catch up” to the end of the live program through gap deletion.

Good speech detection and processing that produces a written transcript is what I’d love to have since reading is so much faster than listening, but it doesn’t work so well on something like ASL that is full of bespoke recondite terms!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The way YouTube and most media players these days implement faster audio playback doesn’t result in a frequency shift. They aren’t naively just playing back the time domain samples faster but are instead doing joint time and frequency domain processing such that they can speed up the audio without increasing frequency. End result is instead of sounding like Chipmunks you sound like the old FedEx ad speed talker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time_stretching_and_pitch_scaling

There is also another technique specifically for speech that just eliminates pauses and gaps in speech. This is popular on “talk radio” stations so they can pack in more ads. Even on a “live” program individual stations will delay the early parts of the program with more advertising knowing that they will “catch up” to the end of the live program through gap deletion.

Good speech detection and processing that produces a written transcript is what I’d love to have since reading is so much faster than listening, but it doesn’t work so well on something like ASL that is full of bespoke recondite terms!
Very interesting. I was not aware of this. As I don't watch TV nor follow talk radio that would have any commercial in it, use pop-up blockers, and script-blockers, I am not exposed to commercials.

So how come I hear chipmunk-voices (I love that term. But not the sound...)?
I figured it out. Through forces not yet fully understood, some youngsters apparently like remakes/remixes of some popular songs, that are played at a faster than normal speed. Including and maybe even because of the resulting chipmunk-voices.

Live and learn...

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yesterday I tried clipping left handed as it’s been over three months since the op on that hand and only a week since I had a similar op on my right, it was do-able but very slow so not sure if I’ll try for several months now .

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hope you get better fast Olli, I know how it feels to be physically tough to get things accomplished when your body parts are say fuck you sometimes lol.

Yesterday I tried clipping left handed as it’s been over three months since the op on that hand and only a week since I had a similar op on my right, it was do-able but very slow so not sure if I’ll try for several months now .

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hope you get better fast Olli, I know how it feels to be physically tough to get things accomplished when your body parts are say fuck you sometimes lol.
Thanks Scott this was the third op I have had on my right hand and two on my left so far!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You are missing da crack, aren't ya?

I wish you all the best for a full and speedy recovery, Olli.

von Marwitz

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States

I've been doing exclusively VASL for a few months, so it was finally time to get back in touch with some chipboard!

I punched and corner clipped the infantry from For King and Country so that I could try out 107 Tettau's Attack using Andrea Fantozzi's ASL PBS rules (that's "Play Both Sides"). I chose this scenario so that I could focus on just the DFF rules in PBS (there are no vehicles, ordnance, HIP, or OOB provided concealment counters in this scenario - all of which PBS has rules to handle). Printed out the relevant tables and SOP for PBS on card stock as well. Was fun to roll some real dice and nudge counters across plexiglass again!

I'll need to give PBS another try in the future. It worked pretty well in general, but the DFF rules burden even for IFT is a little steep at first and still misses some obvious "should take" shots. Of course one shouldn't expect the DFF automated rules to be perfect and I think like in SASL one should occasionally step in and do what is clearly in the best interests of the defending side. The point of "automated" rules is to provide uncertainty to the attacking player in marginal cases and I feel they do an good job of that. I think with another play and maybe making a flowchart for the PBS DFF rules things would become second nature pretty quick. Certainly I expect many folks would prefer VASL (live or PBEM) with a human to this kind of solo play, but at least for me this looks like an interesting way to feel out tactics for regular scenarios and much like SASL it can force a new player's nose into the rule book to refresh rules knowledge. Overall an impressive addition to the system by Andrea!

I also tried out the "Tall Stack Tweezers" that I added to a recent order from Ritter Krieg. They are really nice! As intended they can get into a tight space and pull up an entire stack from the bottom. Since there are small variations in die cutting tolerances if you try to gingerly grab things you might still miss the very bottom counter. Applying a more reasonable amount of force seems to reliably grab the bottom counter of the stack (and doesn't mar the counter edges).

Oh, and as to the scenario, well the German plan was to try to suppress the main British firepower while units tried to sneak past on both the north and south edges of the board (only 3VP need to make it off board). There are a lot of turns so this seemed viable as one could occasionally not move if German Prep Fire was ineffective on a given turn. This probably can work with better execution and some better DR luck, but by turn 6 things weren't looking workable for the Germans. Their small flanking force on the north edge got torn apart in the opening British PFPh and was eventually reduced to a single wounded leader before it could even leave its starting hex (where the abandoned LMG is in the photo). The German forces have an ELR of 2 and thus are extremely brittle. The main force did a halfway decent job of executing its part of the plan breaking a 9-2/648/LMG stack in a level 1 building (which then made a miracle rally under DM), pinning the same leader another time, and breaking the leader and pinning the squad another time. So that gave some forces a chance to start squeezing along the south edge, but with no real northern flanking force to draw off some additional British forces it seemed very unlikely the Germans could get enough past in time (or at all) so I ended the effort in turn 6. Perhaps a mad push by many units at once to soak up DFF would be a more effective use of resources than German Prep Fire stacks. From the British side their setup location was fairly obvious and because they got good early DRs on the northern German flanking force they never had any hard decisions to make really.

Anyway, with the table clear again I'll probably finish up punching the British 5/8" counters and then maybe do a SASL game next time I touch the chipboard.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddy Rich is coming by today and have set up J119 Back in the Saddle, looks tough on the Americans since the NKPA can hip those fortifications in the backfield. I really have no plans to do a write up on this one like I have with the DZSME stuff, the scenario does not impress me enough to complete such an endeavor.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzer IV VBM freezes my Canadian 248 and remains in motion on a narrow street. I CC knowing I need snakes for a chance at a possible unlikely kill. I say, "Well, what else has he got to do?" 1,1... And yep, the dr = 1, Burner. I love this game.

Last edited:

phlegm027

Reaction score
In honor of MMP ON TO Richmond 2. I giive you the story of perhaps the most influential politician of ll time,