Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Downloaded the last version of the eASLRB. Olli: Tell me that you have bought a 2 TB external disk to collect all the versions! (by triplicate) :D
I have around four 2tb external drives and a 2TB memory stick too!

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've nearly completed an adaptation of "Eight Steps to ASL" but instead of listing the sections of the rule book, each section has links to short instructional videos that are relevant to that section.

I'm doing it for my brother, who surprised me a couple of weeks ago by agreeing to a game of ASL on VASL. He's the type who would be very allergic to the book work in learning rules, but after an introductory session he mentioned that he was watching a replay on YouTube of the SK scenario "Retaking Vierville" and picking up some sense of the rules from that. The fact that he was putting in effort "out of hours" was as encouraging as it was surprising as up to now he couldn't see the point of doing the brain work yourself if you could get a computer to do it for you.

I had already starting compiling a list of ASL instruction videos on YouTubes. I'll don't normally use YouTube for learning but I find it helps sometimes when I just not "getting" some rule. So I checked each video for duration, and stripped out any over 15 minutes (a lot of them repeat each others' content anyway). Meanwhile he surprises me again by telling me he's watching Russ Gifford's instructional series. I'd actually stripped those out of the list but encouraged him to stick with it.

We'd have three sessions now and the Jim Stahler's Step 1 rules are not a million miles away from the SK1 rules, so we've been playing "Clearing Coleville" - and I'm not doing well at all. It was funny to hear him say, as I hurled several US squads (uselessly) against his position, "I have to think about this...do I shoot at them there or let them get closer, and do I group attacks or split them...which ones are the greatest threat?" Ah, the sense of accomplishment I felt at that point... "You're already thinking like an ASL player."

We're only two turns in so far because of all the rules explanations - and lookups - I'm far from being a vet myself, in fact, my ASL knowledge is only about four Stahler-steps ahead of his, but having to teach someone else is a great way to learn yourself, I think.

One day I called him to arrange the next session and said when he picked up, "Put me through to the commander of the Coleville garrison!" Quick as a flash he came back with "I think he shot himself..." 🤣Nevertheless, we've had three sessions and while I've been half--expecting him to announce that ASL is too slow/boring/labour-intensive/head-wrecking/unsexy(i.e. no 3D/animations/audio), it hasn't happened and he seems to be finding more to like than dislike. Back to Coleville this weekend, I expect, and I'll introduce him to the Eight Steps.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Downloaded the last version of the eASLRB. Olli: Tell me that you have bought a 2 TB external disk to collect all the versions! (by triplicate) :D
The latest version? Has MMP put out an upgrade already?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is that an automatic update or does it need to be redownloaded.
As far as I understand the mechanism, those who have purchased the eASLRB at WarGameVault have to sign up for their newsletter - or to be noticed in case of updates. You have to check this for yourself as I haven't purchased it yet.

Then, if the eASLRB has been updated, you will receive an email notification.
After that, you will have to log on to WarGameVault with your account to download it.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As far as I understand the mechanism, those who have purchased the eASLRB at WarGameVault have to sign up for their newsletter - or to be noticed in case of updates. You have to check this for yourself as I haven't purchased it yet.

Then, if the eASLRB has been updated, you will receive an email notification.
After that, you will have to log on to WarGameVault with your account to download it.

von Marwitz
Ah ha. Yeah, I bought it. Didn't realize there were additional steps. Grrr. Thanks for the heads up.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I worked more or less the whole day on coming up with the RAACO storage for 'Forgotten War' (Core Module Korea).

Except for two inserts for US vehicles the layout for all units within their A75 and A78 inserts is determined.

The Excel file to be printed for the RAACO inserts has been expanded by the labels for all the 'Allied' troops, vehicles, and SW except for the US vehicles:

Next, I will continue to finish the labels for the US vehicles. In line after that are the labels for the Communist forces and the Function Counters. When these are completed, I will print test-pages to check for final adjustments of spaces and margins. Then the labels will be printed on Avery multipurpose labels, individually cut out and applied to the RAACO inserts. I might need to order some before I can begin with that.

When the 'storage facilities' are completed, then I can punch the counters and clip them. Thank gawd, it is only 7 sheets.
Taking the time when I was working on the French, Free French, Vichy French, and Swedish, clipping required 2 1/4 seconds per counter (albeit you cannot keep that up for prolonged periods and need pauses in between).

After all the stuff is clipped and stored, I will have to update my 'All you need to know about RAACO' Manual to reflect the changes before it will be uploaded here as a PDF and to the Texas ASL Club Download section. Same is true for the Excel spreadsheet with the labels, though this one cannot be uploaded to the forum here, because the file extension is not allowed. Probably, I'll also make available a PDF version of the label-file. This has the advantage that it can be printed just so, but can't be as easily edited/adapted by others for their use. The Excel file is easier to edit/adapt, but if you have not installed all of the fonts used in it (which are described and linked in the Manual), the labels will not always show as intended.

Altogether, a s***load of work. But when I am done, then I am up to date with all of MMP's Core Modules. I reckon things will then keep quiet until the release of 'Hollow Legions v3'. The latter will be less work to implement, because it will mainly only necessary to exchange the old with the new counters after clipping the latter. New labels will only be needed for the Ethiopians included.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I worked more or less the whole day on coming up with the RAACO storage for 'Forgotten War' (Core Module Korea).

Altogether, a s***load of work. But when I am done, then I am up to date with all of MMP's Core Modules. I reckon things will then keep quiet until the release of 'Hollow Legions v3'. The latter will be less work to implement, because it will mainly only necessary to exchange the old with the new counters after clipping the latter. New labels will only be needed for the Ethiopians included.

von Marwitz
Come on, you know you'll start over, because there will be that new LMG counter, or an additional squad type, or one more halftrack counter that just needs to be sorted into the others.

I'd like to convince you to move to 3D-printed inserts, because I used to copy your setup and print the layout for reference. I have my own 3D printer, but nothing to print color labels :)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Come on, you know you'll start over, because there will be that new LMG counter, or an additional squad type, or one more halftrack counter that just needs to be sorted into the others.

I'd like to convince you to move to 3D-printed inserts, because I used to copy your setup and print the layout for reference. I have my own 3D printer, but nothing to print color labels :)
Can you print color documents? You can buy whole sheet labels, print those, cut them out individually, and apply as needed. This is proper 8.5X11 but I am sure you can find it in some wacky a-size if you look around. :D -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Indeed, it was quite a challenge this time already to keep as close as possible within the limits of my self-imposed system/logic. But on the other hand, for the next years I see no new core modules in the making, so things will be 'under control' since the Italians can be handled.

I am happy to hear that you found my system suitable for your own use before the advent of 3D-printed inserts. That means that my work on this has saved others to go through this tedious effort - a thing which I would have very much liked when I started off.

With regard to 3D-printed inserts, in fact you breaking in open doors. 3D-printed inserts are the next logical step that allow further optimization both in regard to counter density while following my 'visually' oriented storage (i.e. the counters being placed laterally and not vertically).

As of now, I have not seen yet 'optimal' 3D-printed inserts, though: The four corner positions of the 3D-inserts I have seen so far all lack an opening for tweezers to retrieve the counters. And Generally the openings for tweezers prevent labels to be placed. Furthermore, the labels can only have the width close to 1/2" or 5/8", which is about the width of the compartment for each counter. This means the labels would be so small that the font-size used would have to be equally small and as such the usefulness of labels for 3D-printed inserts is inherently quite diminished. Furthmore, currently the price of 3D-printed inserts is simply way too high that I can consider them at this point. But if there will ever be another fundamental restructuration of my storage system, it will be based on 3D-printed inserts.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Can you print color documents? You can buy whole sheet labels, print those, cut them out individually, and apply as needed. This is proper 8.5X11 but I am sure you can find it in some wacky a-size if you look around. :D -- jim
I use whole sheet labels by Avery of a very similar type: DIN-A-4 plain (Avery Zweckform 3478, 210 x 297mm). The label file is designed to fit on these. For printing, I use a 'standard' ink jet printer. Indeed, then the labels are cut out individually. The most laborious part of all is dividing the 'back piece' from the 'sticky piece' of each label. This involves a quiet hand, an exacto knife, and tweezers - and above all patience while, almost literally, 'splitting hairs'... This is bad for the A78 inserts already (those with 8 compartments). Imagining to have to do that for labels of 1/2" width and less height which would be required for 3D-printed inserts? That would be tortuous!

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As of now, I have not seen yet 'optimal' 3D-printed inserts, though: The four corner positions of the 3D-inserts I have seen so far all lack an opening for tweezers to retrieve the counters.

von Marwitz
Which is another reason to use a suction tool. Not only does a suction tool make it easier to extract a counter from a small compartment, a suction tool is also far less likely to scratch or otherwise damage a counter (or a label).

I find myself using tweezers less and less these days, especially on VASL. :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Actually the only printer I have at home is black-and-white (and a laser printer, so I'm not 100% sure it would like labels). Not sure how the printers at work would deal with labels, so I haven't tried.

(And the wacky A4 size is just the standard size in the whole world, with just a few exceptions. I mean, even the British use it!)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which is another reason to use a suction tool. Not only does a suction tool make it easier to extract a counter from a small compartment, a suction tool is also far less likely to scratch or otherwise damage a counter (or a label).

I find myself using tweezers less and less these days, especially on VASL. :)
Isn't there an extension for that?