Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I too have been experimenting with my new 3D printer to replace my Raaco inserts. Both 4x6 slots for vehicle-size counters, and 5x7 for infantry-size. I wouldn't put notches in the sides, as this would result in very flexible parts; I'll need a suction tool to get individual counters anyway. Notches on the inside walls are there to make identifying counters easier.

Note the effort to match the insert to the color of the new Croix de Guerre counters! (OK, I just had blue PLA on hand)

Unfortunately, my corner clipper just died on me after only 20 French vehicles, so I'll probably wait for a replacement before I punch and clip the rest.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I too have been experimenting with my new 3D printer to replace my Raaco inserts. Both 4x6 slots for vehicle-size counters, and 5x7 for infantry-size. I wouldn't put notches in the sides, as this would result in very flexible parts; I'll need a suction tool to get individual counters anyway. Notches on the inside walls are there to make identifying counters easier.

Note the effort to match the insert to the color of the new Croix de Guerre counters! (OK, I just had blue PLA on hand)

Unfortunately, my corner clipper just died on me after only 20 French vehicles, so I'll probably wait for a replacement before I punch and clip the rest.

View attachment 14393
One day, I'll have to redo my stuff with this sort of inserts. These still to lack the gaps for tweezers at the corner-positions, though.

What was the stacking height within? 12 would be the perfect number that needs to fit (to accomodate a double OOB. Or rather 13 would be even better, so one 'alphabet-set' of infantry could be accomodated in two slots.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
One day, I'll have to redo my stuff with this sort of inserts. These still to lack the gaps for tweezers at the corner-positions, though.

What was the stacking height within? 12 would be the perfect number that needs to fit (to accomodate a double OOB. Or rather 13 would be even better, so one 'alphabet-set' of infantry could be accomodated in two slots.

von Marwitz
I'm afraid adding the gaps would weaken the whole insert, so I'm not using them. If what you're after is using the same shape for the outside walls as the inside walls, I can probably add them (or better, you learn the basics of Openscad and do it yourself - I'm really not an expert).

The insert I pictured here can accomodate stacks of 13 counters. I also made a version with a lid, which loses 1 (stacks of 12, or 7 if you go for partial height). You'll find all my .STL and .scad files in the Chit Chat thread.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
"On hand". I have 15 colors "on hand" now :) -- jim
I'm ony buying rolls of filament one at a time, or my wife is bound to notice something. Right now she's just amused by the many plastic gadgets that appear everywhere in the house, and by the strange machine doing whirring sounds. I want to keep it this was as long as I can.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm ony buying rolls of filament one at a time, or my wife is bound to notice something. Right now she's just amused by the many plastic gadgets that appear everywhere in the house, and by the strange machine doing whirring sounds. I want to keep it this was as long as I can.
Distract her by dropping hints that you're having an affair, that will keep her attention away from the 3D printing ...

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
My wife is aware and happy I am not out causing trouble. I have no real bad habits, but when I am bored, I can find trouble :) -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
OK, just in case my wife ever comes to this forum and sees I'm making here appear as a dragon: I was only joking. All she'll do is roll her eyes when my hobbies involve recreating episodes from the bloodiest war ever. Compared to this, spending money on rolls of filament isn't much (though ordering them from Amazon gains me at least a disapproving look).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Getting round to punching out some more TPP counters.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have a commission to do for another player, Clip CdG, one copy .
You really do this on commission?

I remember joking about that with you when I reorganized my kit and took the opportunity to exchange old with new counters. But maybe only I thought I was joking while you were serious... :)

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You really do this on commission?

I remember joking about that with you when I reorganized my kit and took the opportunity to exchange old with new counters. But maybe only I thought I was joking while you were serious... :)

von Marwitz
Yes done a few for people now

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I selected which of the scenarios from Deluxe Redux to add to my "to play" binder and filed the remainder in a scenario storage binder.

I chose:

DASL01 GURYEV’S HEADQUARTERS
DASL02 BERSERK
DASL03 STORMING THE FACTORY
DASL04 FIRST TO STRIKE
DASL05 LITTLE STALINGRAD
DASL06 DRACONIAN MEASURES
DASL17 THEY’RE COMING
DASL18 KING OF THE HILL
DASL28 THE ISLAND
DASL33 COBRA KINGS
DASL34 TO THE LAST MAN
DASL38 HIMMLER’S HOUSE

I have a record of playing only DASL01 in 1994. I have a vague memory of maybe playing DASL18.