Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm playing a beach landing scenario with Heavy Surf. In one turn the Heavy Surf pulls a LC off the beach with its ramp down, making the LC Fast Aground and Immobilized. Soon after, the Heavy Surf does does it again with another LC into the same hex; at least this LC still had its ramp up. The stack shown below would be a pain with real counters.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing a beach landing scenario with Heavy Surf. In one turn the Heavy Surf pulls a LC off the beach with its ramp down, making the LC Fast Aground and Immobilized. Soon after, the Heavy Surf does does it again with another LC into the same hex; at least this LC still had its ramp up. The stack shown below would be a pain with real counters.
View attachment 13950
Don't you use the cloaking display for FTF?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Playing HG15 "King Darges" last night. I have a Hetzer stopped adjacent to a T-34/85 ... we've both already spent a turn trading shots at each other. My Prep Fire ... hit, no ROF, dud shell. Sigh. OK, let's try Intensive Fire. Hit ... dud shell. Sigh. His return fire bounced off my armour so let's see what happens next turn ....

This entire scenario has been 2's and 12's for both players. It's a madhouse!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sorting out the stuff I need to have a FtF game , finishing off a playtest Dave and I started at the start of March for LCP! Three of us meeting up to do it on Monday

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Snake eyes denied...
I (non-assault) move a unit into woods, in LOS of my opponent's 9-1 led MG stack. The inevitable attack does nothing, but the MG retains ROF and before I have a chance to say anything my opponent immediately fires again and rolls 1-1 for a 1KIA. With mixture of guilt and relief (ok, there wasn't really any guilt) I point out that my (partisan) units, by SSR, expend only 1.5 MF to enter woods which is insufficient to allow 2 shots.

Pretty sure I announced the MF expenditure as I moved... maybe it was a bit quiet...
Which made me wonder, are infantry like AFVs in that they can expend more MF to enter a hex than it actually costs ("delay MF")?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I sat down to increase my rules knowledge...then at the last minute switched to doing some more lessons from an online Linux systems administration course. It's actually easier... :LOL:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I read all the scenarios that came with DASL. There is a few that I will put on my “to play” list.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Looking at the additional Vichy French and Free French counters, I realized that I'll have trouble integrating them into my existing RAACO storage without fuss...

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Looking at the additional Vichy French and Free French counters, I realized that I'll have trouble integrating them into my existing RAACO storage without fuss...

von Marwitz
I just put them into the RAACO boxes along with the normal French

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I setup and calibrated my 3D printer. Next up, finish my Raaco inserts. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just put them into the RAACO boxes along with the normal French
Being something of a storage-nerd, that just won't do... ?

Currently, eight inserts of a RAACO Assorter contain the French (one layer), the other layer is currently occupied by the Chinese.

To store the Vichy-French and Free French in accordance with the overall system, I would need to kick out the Chinese to get hold of the space. So far, so good.

But the Chinese have nowhere to go. The "Allied" Handybox contains one Assorter of Russians, one Assorter of US/Marines, one Assorter of British, and one of French/Chinese. The Allied Minors have their Assorter in another Handybox together with the Axis Minors Assorter and two Assorters of Function Counters, so that one is also full.

Of course it is out of the question to store extra French in an Axis Assorter (i.e. within the bottom layer of the one for the German vehicles). This would also "violate" the rule never to store different nationalities in the same layer of an Assorter.

See my grievous pains? ?

Probably, it cannot be avoided to procure a fourth Handybox, Assorters, and inserts. The Chinese would have to move into this new one. Maybe a new Handybox would also be a pretext for punching FW and the Korea-Stuff. After all, you can't run around with a fourth Handybox and hardly anything in it, now, can you? But should Korea go with the Function Counters (as I will probably not play post WW2) and the Chinese move in with the Minors? Or keep the Minors/Function Handybox as is and move the Chinese to the Korea stuff? Neither feels "right".

Of course, I could sink tons of money in RAACO compatible 3D-printed inserts that have been displayed here by some. However, these are yet imperfect at the four corners (tweezers can't be used there), still too expensive to procure in large numbers, and can't be labelled properly for lack of space (which of course they save for denser storage...). Worse of all, I would have to reinvent the "perfect storage system" once more - a project, which I gnawed on for weeks for the current version.

Ahhhh, it's a disaster... ??

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Update: I am getting really good prints right out of the box. The input filament has broken a time or two but I am getting that sorted out. I have some threading going on but that shouldn't be too hard to dial in. Overall, I am pleased so far given some of the horror stories I have seen and heard from others. I am currently printing some parts to modify the printer for better stepper motor movement (will make the prints better). Fun time :) -- jim

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What printer did you buy? I'm in the early stages of thinking about considering possibly buying something sometime in the future.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
What printer did you buy? I'm in the early stages of thinking about considering possibly buying something sometime in the future.
I did a lot of research. For me, it comes down to wanting to tinker as much as anything else. I finally purchased the Creality Ender 5 Pro. I also considered the Ender 5+ and the CR-10 (also from Creality). None of these print with resin. Resin tends to smell and I am in an apartment here in Germany and didn't want to deal with that. If you're looking to print fine details, resin is the choice. If there are other exotic filaments you want to print with, that might also limit your choices so make those decisions up front.

I unpacked mine, put it together, leveled the bed, and printed the 20mm cube in about 120 minutes. I did spend some time on youtube looking at videos to get a head start. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I did a lot of research. For me, it comes down to wanting to tinker as much as anything else. I finally purchased the Creality Ender 5 Pro. I also considered the Ender 5+ and the CR-10 (also from Creality). None of these print with resin. Resin tends to smell and I am in an apartment here in Germany and didn't want to deal with that. If you're looking to print fine details, resin is the choice. If there are other exotic filaments you want to print with, that might also limit your choices so make those decisions up front.

I unpacked mine, put it together, leveled the bed, and printed the 20mm cube in about 120 minutes. I did spend some time on youtube looking at videos to get a head start. -- jim
Interesting stuff. Keep us updated...

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Printed my first Vehicle prototype based on Mr. Dennis' stl files. I will post pics later if I think of it. -- jim