Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you happen to own BFP's "Operation Cobra", there is an excellent article in the magazine on Bocage. Highly recommended!

von Marwitz
Agreed - and the scenarios in the pack are also a good way to get to practice the Bocage rules.

I recommend playing (and, initially, losing) with an opponent who knows the tricks already. Just reading the rules isn't enough (or, to me, it wasn't). Nothing beats the "what? you can do that!?" feeling.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Immobilized M10 has a Panther come around the corner at 2 hexes, spins the turret, misses the APCR roll. Crap. OK, I'll take an AP shot at +2, If I hit the turret the TK will be 4, hope for rate, and then go for a DI on the 2nd shot. TH roll? Snakes. Panther burns, M10 survives until next turn...

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed - and the scenarios in the pack are also a good way to get to practice the Bocage rules.

I recommend playing (and, initially, losing) with an opponent who knows the tricks already. Just reading the rules isn't enough (or, to me, it wasn't). Nothing beats the "what? you can do that!?" feeling.
I watched Derek Ritter's intro video and saw him demonstrate what I guess I would call the "bocage prep fire skulk" - a concealed unit with WA in PF phase preps (losing ?), then drops WA, then during AFP, again claims WA, and finally, at the end of the turn regains ? (so long as all LoS is traced through bocage hexsides). Pretty nifty trick, and something that I would never have imagined from simply reading the rules. Still haven't really fully grokked the blind hexes from bocage, but elevation waws never an issue in either of the scenarios that I played at club yesterday.

Edit: In my haste, I failed to mention that such a skulk can only be used with in-hex TEM, so that one can forfeit WA.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Today, I begin the long tedious process of moving. Deciding what makes the cut and goes with me, and what doesn't and gets sold|donated|binned. My wife and I have decided against storage on the advice of a family member who has sold off countless storage lockers that are never re-opened as a part of her estate sales business.

Where am I going you ask? Why I will be moving to Stuttgart Germany for the next 4 - 5 years. My wife has accepted a position with her company and we'll be moving there before the end of the year (probably right after ASLOk as I asked to have it delayed until at least then). Looks like I will be going to a lot more European tournaments (if only Henni would do Arnhem one last time :) ) -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, I begin the long tedious process of moving. Deciding what makes the cut and goes with me, and what doesn't and gets sold|donated|binned. My wife and I have decided against storage on the advice of a family member who has sold off countless storage lockers that are never re-opened as a part of her estate sales business.

Where am I going you ask? Why I will be moving to Stuttgart Germany for the next 4 - 5 years. My wife has accepted a position with her company and we'll be moving there before the end of the year (probably right after ASLOk as I asked to have it delayed until at least then). Looks like I will be going to a lot more European tournaments (if only Henni would do Arnhem one last time :) ) -- jim
Welcome to Germany then!

I'd be happy to meet you at Grenadier tournament. It will next be held 6th to 10th Nov. 2019. See this link:

Cheers,
von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Finished clipping the French. This went quite fast as it was only a single OoB.

Next up are the British with a double OoB. That is a much bigger chunk.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'd be happy to meet you at Grenadier tournament. It will next be held 6th to 10th Nov.
Grenadier is on the list. It depends on the move. If I can make it this year, I will. If not, definitely next year. Also Double One and at least one of the Italy ones. I am so looking forward to it. -- jim

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That would be cool. My wife and i have thought about going to Germany for 3 - 6 month increments.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Posted this on ASL FB group--solo play of CH Graebner's Charge scenario.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since off two days for Mardi Gras,got up early for some solo play of CH Graebner's Charge. Turn one sees lead German a/c escape,but next one gets blown up by Maj.Tatham- Warter's PIAT squad after both failed sD attempt and failed BFF attack, crew bails and is Pinned in Road on Interdiction. Second a/c gets ventilated by the Brit 6-pounder (kept rate), the next a/c (Puma with 9-1AL) also fails sD and BFF and is Flamed by Col.Frost's PIAT squad. Now Puma/9-2 AL lay down Dispersed Smoke in hex V21 but then gets blown up by an AT Mine in next hex. Truckload of German HS and 8-0 unload in V21,and other German vehicles behind start piling up. Brit mortar misses on its shot but lays Acquisition in V21. That hex is now full of Germans (Stopped Truck with one HS and 8-0 under it, and Humber a/c and sdkfz 250/1 carrying hs,both in Motion.) One HS advances into the AT MIne hex to try and clear em if survives return fire next turn.

History repeats itself--Graebner's command is immolated trying to attack the dug in Brits at Arnhem bridge. End of Briish turn 5 and game called,British victory. Germans tried using their Stummel HT's to lay down Smoke so their dismounted infantry can clear the AT Mines in hex V19 and get down the stairwell and take+clear some buildings. Came close,but one HT MALF'ed its Gun then Recalled when X'ed Repair,second Stummel Stun,then Immobilized by Brit mortar and crew bails.Germans did get 3.5 squads down the stairs but two were ELIM in CC and rest Broken and mopped up by Frost's lads. PIAT's, 6-pounder, and Mortar kept knocking out German vehicles after the AT MInes were gone,and this caused massive pileup of German vehicles with no place to go.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
That was funny! :LOL:

Finished clipping all British personnel.

The armored cars lie yet before me. But I am beginning to feel the strain in my wrist from the last days of clipping frenzy.

von Marwitz
lol