Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Got new storages boxes for my ASL countertrays, maps and other items. (and yes, I do not use RAACO...) ;)

And got S2 War of the Rats on the table.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Keeping the ASLRB close by for a SK game isn't necessarily a good idea - it's likely to confuse you more than anything else.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Arranged a game for next Monday, cut out two sheets of counters, the latter after having had a Carpul tunnel op last Wedensday, not up to clipping yet tho lol !

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Keeping the ASLRB close by for a SK game isn't necessarily a good idea - it's likely to confuse you more than anything else.
I keep it nearby to clarify things that I come across. The SK rules go first, but sometimes the ASLRB helps to understand things a little better.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Last night I played 2.5 Turns of A107 The Red Wave against Christian B.

This scenario is very tough on the Russian attackers (ROAR 92 - 46 for the SS), but I think it hangs in a fine balance mid-game. My first Turn human wave worked great and the SS men broke quite well. Of course, they also rallied well.

His only Sniper activation killed my Commissar who was on his way to rally a big stack, putting a real dent in my plans.

My valiant T33s inevitably ran into the 75INF gun, which immobilised one of the AFV (not in a bad spot). I then drove at it with the second tank, leading to an Intensive Fire shot which malfunctioned the INF gun. This tank helped kill off a full SS squad for Failure to Rout, so high fives all around for that move.

We will finish the last Turns in two weeks' time....looks like a fun few hours ahead (if Christian does not go on a ROF tear with his HMG, because my Russians look very breakable).

I would put our chances of winning about even to the ROAR record....

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been making my way through Chapter S, getting ready to finally try SASL. David Garvin's Youtube videos helped with providing a bit of an idea how it's supposed to play, so the rules are starting to gel now. I pulled Mission 1, and will start working my way through it.
Set up is now done. This took me a while, as it was the first time that I have done DYO purchases and leader and SW generation. The overhead of choosing the map and VPO and SAN and the myriad other things to be done wasn't too bad at all (and will certainly go very quickly the next time) - just a couple die/dice rolls and table look ups. I hope to start actually playing SASL tonight!

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Set up is now done. This took me a while, as it was the first time that I have done DYO purchases and leader and SW generation. The overhead of choosing the map and VPO and SAN and the myriad other things to be done wasn't too bad at all (and will certainly go very quickly the next time) - just a couple die/dice rolls and table look ups. I hope to start actually playing SASL tonight!

Could you provide a link to the videos mentioned?

Cheers,

Mark

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you provide a link to the videos mentioned?
Mark:

These are definitely not soup to nuts, "here's how it's done" videos. They were, however, enough to help me see how SASL is supposed to play and helped me then make sense of Chapter S.

I had some trouble with the links. If they don't work, just Google "David Garvin Youtube Solitaire ASL" and the first five results are the videos that David posted.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Managed to punch and clip the counters from Russian Rare Vehicle pack IV this afternoon and order 256 RAACO A75/78 trays due to running out of them.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Punching Forgotten War, finally! :)

Quick question regarding the Russian vehicles and equipment counters. Are they extra's or for any errata? (indirectly the same question for US/British counters)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Punching Forgotten War, finally! :)

Quick question regarding the Russian vehicles and equipment counters. Are they extra's or for any errata? (indirectly the same question for US/British counters)
The Soviet ones are extras, absolutely no differences that I can see from the BV ones.

The British/US are ones that either did not appear in FKaC/Yanks or have some attributes that are different. Eg US M4S3E8 have Low Ground Pressure and unlimited APCR, only applicable to Korea, ditto the FW British Sherman variants did not see British service in WW2, the ones that did are in FKaC.

Some of both the British and US ones are things that did see service in WW2 but too late or too few and were previously ignored. Eg British use of M8, M20 AC and M3A1 H/T or US M19 SP AA.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Thanks Paul!

Extensive and clear answer as always. :clap:
Glad to be of help.

I did forget a very obvious, summary part of my answer: As far as I can see there are no errata or replacements in FW, for any nationality, so throw nothing away.
Sorry, but I tend to get drowned in details. Duh!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Glad to be of help.

I did forget a very obvious, summary part of my answer: As far as I can see there are no errata or replacements in FW, for any nationality, so throw nothing away.
Sorry, but I tend to get drowned in details. Duh!
Except the MMP dice, of course. Those you should throw away.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Those are meant to be used by the North Koreans....the counters were deliberately made identical to the existing Russian ones. But note that for e.g., APCR you use the Vehicle Listing in Chapter H for the KPA - not what is on the back of the counter.