Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday I finished sorting and trimming Yanks 3a counters and bagging up the original Yanks counters. Also sorting and clipping system counters, Russian and German vehicles from Doomed Battalions and Hakkaa Paalle. Need more 3701s to finish DB and HP counters.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hit the big kahuna of tough decisions in a game. I'm the defender, the Priest on Overwatch has WP8 and there are some nasty German 105 and 150 howitzer armed AFVs out there in the back field with long LOS's to my lines and maneuver units and places they need to go, along with a fair dinkum number of 20mm armed ACs and light tanks supporting the German SP guns. My Priest is on the highest ground, and NOT Hull Down yet- and has my 8-1 AL in it. Every damn german gun can see it, but the best shot they got at me is a HEAT H9 from a 105 howitzer armed SP Gun with a final TH DR needed of <=5 to tag me after all the hindrances, BU status for him and Height Advantage, or a HE ATT shot still needing a 5 TH final DR (ie he'll need a <=5 to get a hit on me.) The break point for my personal MC - the dreaded "> 25% chance" he gets a hit on me, if I don't smoke him in my PFPh. So do I Smoke with WP8 in PFPh, or move? In MPh, he'll the shot with the Start MP before I move, so he still gets the fair odds for a hit.

Good play on my opponent's part- forcing the tough choices on me :)

I decided I needed the position for later, and a gun tube with those long LOS's, so I took the Smoke shot to cover my Priest for now,with the WP, as it dissipates rather fast, but offers me the cover to reduce incoming fire to a 3 DR needed to hit me - far safer - and it left my AAMG open for a secondary 4 FP shot at enemy infantry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In another gamer, last night saw my Japanese sniper goes ballistic( 4 of 5 triggers got me a 1 or 2 effect dr), and tag out a POA - CWS- H1 with that TF 32 as he was CE and got it on a 1 effect DR for a STUN... breathing space :). Of the Enemy FT's 2 are now out of action out of 3 on the map at one time. Only a 4 MC striped 2-2-8 crew casualty from them all so far. - Whew! Add to that the previously STUNNED by sniper M4A2. Not bad, 2 of 5 tanks mission kills by sniper. :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In Objective: Schmidt CG ...

A 9-1 guarding prisoners was shot. Prisoners passed the MC but the 9-1 broke.

So they routed back into a hex with a friendly squad of conscript (waiting for orientation from HR no doubt)

Prisoners lost all respect for boss man. Passed the TC and jumped the 9-1, They almost managed to snuff the life out of the 9-1 with a dirty sock before they woke the conscripts who then went for a capture and brought all the debauchery under control.

9-1 got his voice back after a couple of hours

(Corrected: he was a 9-1, not a 9-2..)

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went to my dad's house last night and found the missing Red Barricades maps. They were in a flat folder under a bed with all my drawings from college. Been there since 1991. Also found in a hall closet paper maps of boards 1-4, I think these came in Crescendo of Doom.

I'm thinking of selling RB now it is complete. Unpunched. The only flaw is there is minor "foxing" on the counters.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LN 12 action resumed tonight, with Felipe's Marines marching on to the attack into the main line of resistance. A bad choice of which way to turn down a street put a Sherman tank with a side shot to my 47L ATG- so I took it and burned him in the street. 3 of 6 tanks out of action. #4 Sherman closes up behind the burning wreck ,and takes the other fork in the road, rolling into my AT Set DC for another burning wreck. 4 of 6 tanks down. Sherman #5 and the HMC close up the rear and position to take the ATG and a 50mm mtr position under fire. The #5 Sherman fires at the ATG and malfs his MA - so now all Sherman gun tubes are out and that means all flame weapons are gone for the Marines. The HMC fires hits, SRs , fires, hits ,SRs and Fires hits, breaks the 50mm mtr in the following DFPh. so now I face just the HMC - and a rolling MG pillbox - but the HMC is well placed for smoking up the advance as well as his 60-mm mtrs now, and the burning wrecks, so the final advance into the victory building will be well covered by smoke.
The Japanese sniper (SAN 5) went off the hook tonight, taking down a 9-1 with a head shot, and breaking the full platoon stacked with him, along with wounding the 7-0 following along behind to rally everyone back up in another triggering 2 effect dr from a later SAN. That sniper gets a memorial plaque and a moment of recognition - so far he's taken down a Sherman that was CE, 1 full squad, wounded one leader, killed the 9-1 and broke a total of 6 squads since the game began. By far the most effective weapon I've had.
There's still a lot of Marines, they got a HMC, the rolling MG pillbox of the last Sherman, 3 DCs, some MGs, a Baz 45, and a few leaders and about 12 squads. Japanese are at 6.5 squad equivalents and a single leader left, along with 2 HIP guns, a HIP 50mm Mtr, a lot of fortified buildings, and 3 DCs and 2 THHs left to generate if desired (or DC heroes if preferred).

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Setup (on VASL) a French defense in Dispatches from the Bunker DB#001.
Waiting on a setup of some grimy Russians in GURYEV’S HEADQUARTERS (hint, wink, wink Rio Vista dude) lol.
Don , great to see you back on here .

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Printing out some DFtB stuff. Namely DFtB#44 and Operation Turnscrew. The map will have to be sent to a professional printer.

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Installed copies of the Quickfire Challenge scenarios on ASL Scenario Archive pages as requested.
Purchased three scenario packs on Noble Knight website - 26 scenarios for $26a dollar.png

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been making my way through Chapter S, getting ready to finally try SASL. David Garvin's Youtube videos helped with providing a bit of an idea how it's supposed to play, so the rules are starting to gel now. I pulled Mission 1, and will start working my way through it.