Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last weekend attended "Meatfest" at Darrell Anderson's. What a great time! Got in 4 ASL games, 2 vs Mark Devries, the first got my butt whupped badly (AP78 Crossfire) and the 2nd won the scenario even though I didn't have a single unbroken/destroyed unit on the board at game end ( WO3 Counterattack At Carentan). As always with Mark ya laugh at his terrible one liners until you've got tears in your eyes (that's his plan-you can't see to make a decent move), great time and a great guy. Next I got waffle stomped (Waffle Stomp= to be beat so bad it looks as if the guy stomped on your face/butt and left the impression of his boots or shoes resembling a waffle look) by Chris Scott in 3rd RTR in the Rain. Man, I couldn't kill anything if I would have paid him off. Not that the dice were bad overall as we both equaled out in snake-eyes and boxcars, but my snakes were HOP (Heat of Pins) or some such and every hit seemed to plink off his 1AF (for Pete's sake) vehicles like wooden bullets or something. We all have had a scenario where all your hits are the good DRs but the TKs suck right? I did manage to take out the smallest Brit vehicle but ended the game with all three of my tanks burners, the gun malfed & abandoned and my last position surrounded so bad that it looked as if he had opened a pub and offered free beer to the Brits. Even Chris was shaking his head-we just smiled and said let's get some brats and beer! My last game was against my long time buddy Steve "Earthpig" Hicks, J120 Ishun Tank Traps. Steve managed to find four of the tank traps the hard way losing both SU 152's and SU-76s but made good progress with his Infantry despite losing a Ldr early and having his 9-2 wounded. It became a little difficult concentrating on the game looking at Steve decked out with his CVC (Combat Vehicle Communication) helmet on and chewing on a huge full leg of lamb (bone included), but had a fun time even though we drove 6+ hours to Darrell's to play each other (we live about an hour away from each other now-an old army/ASL buddy). Great camaraderie, fun ASL (and other games) and outstanding food! A good time had by all!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I located a bunch of overlays mostly from Higher Ground 2 and Beyond the Beachhead 2 that had gone missing. My great overlay lamination project was in jeopardy of failure because the originals were not in the place they were supposed to be. I also may have found a source for legal size glossy paper to print the ones that are too big for letter-sized paper. The twenty-two inch overlays (R1, E1) I am just going to print in pieces.

JR

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
The United States Postal Service delivered a little reading material on Saturday:

The Battle for North Africa 1940-43 by W G F Jackson (1975)
The First Victory: The Second World War and the East Africa Campaign by Andrew Stewart (2016)

Heading to the beach in south west Florida in ten days, so these arrived just in time.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrote up first draft of a mini-CG based on Pete Shelling's "Verdict at Nuremberg" ,using four existing scenarios: three from Rally Point 13 (RPT 124 The Undaunted, RPT 125 Bazooka Butts,RP 126 The Steinstrass Funnel) and ASLUG10 Twilight's Last Gleaming. Playing this solo so no promise of balance.

Attachments

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You've got the Staff Edition of the game on pre-order, correct?
I saw that, took one look at the wife's face when she saw the price including shipping to the UK and realized that I would never ever own the staff edition, no matter how much I want it. It looks a really nice collection.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I saw that, took one look at the wife's face when she saw the price including shipping to the UK and realized that I would never ever own the staff edition, no matter how much I want it. It looks a really nice collection.

How is the ruleset? The North African stuff looks interesting.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How is the ruleset? The North African stuff looks interesting.
I like DRK very much, lots of dearth if you use the enhancement packs (rules from consim include the command & logistics package) only problem with vassal is that you can not link the modules. Game is detailed, even to the point of optional casualty tracking so you can if you wish add up all the platoon/companies you have lost in a day and see exactly how many men you have lost that day. I can not recommend them enough, hours upon hours of fun and it will make you think.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I was proto-ASL, my wife got me Beyond Valor and the ASLRB for my birthday. May you be as fortunate!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today Chris and I played through 3 full Turns of playtesting for the title track of the Death to Fascism scenario pack......and completed it.

This marks the official end of our playtesting, which has lasted well over one year. One scenario is still in the secret playtesting facility in Old Europe....for a final balance check.

The entire pack will be ready for the printer within the next week or ten days.....bringing to an end one of the most enjoyable ASL projects I have ever been involved in.

Official launch, of course, is at ASLOK at the very end of September.

We think we may have to do a second DTF Pack in future, since we had so much fun and we are convinced you, The Audience, will appreciate the puzzles we built for you.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That may be my new ASL scenario project: play each overlay at least once in a scenario. Are there any overlays that don't appear in a scenario?

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Today I found a place to make full-sized, unfolded copy of one of the VotG maps - finding a place that can do a scan of something larger than A3 isn't that easy, as I found out.

Now I need to take all those HASL maps to them and make a full collection.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That may be my new ASL scenario project: play each overlay at least once in a scenario. Are there any overlays that don't appear in a scenario?

JR
In ANY scenario? Or are you asking about "Official" (i.e. AH/MMP) scenarios?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In ANY scenario? Or are you asking about "Official" (i.e. AH/MMP) scenarios?
I'll take "any". In some cases I may not own any of the scenarios for that overlay, but there are probably overlays I don't own either. I did some checking, and I don't think Hi6 has appeared in any scenario. Perhaps Hd1 as well. But my knowledge on the matter is not encyclopædic.

JR