Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Finally decided to take the plunge on some of footsteps' counters. Free French, Partisans, Romanians, and Snipers. Hopefully they go to the printers by the 1st of the year!

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1-Proofed a scenario special rule for George Kelln that he needs for upcoming West Coast Rumble.
2-Got in mail some older ASL items from a guy selling his ASL gear: Backblast 1+2 , CH magazine #4 (for Rangers article,researching them for SASL CG am working on) and mint copy of HoB Waffen SS II:Fuhrer's Firemen.
100_3377.JPG

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Combined 3 scenarios into 1 for large solo play of Warsaw uprising. SCenarios are 31 The Old Town, J187 Flames of Unrest, and Waffen SS II:FF11 Tough Luck. Working on some SSR's to cover the combined actions.
warsaw 3in1.jpg

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This past Saturday, we had the monthly club get together. A very experienced player took the time to give me a game, in which he helped me both understand many of the rules and to see how to apply them (e.g., using VBM freeze to allow my infantry freedom of maneuver). So, not only did I have a great time playing ASL, but feel like I made some strides toward a better understanding of the game. I still sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed when I realize just how much more deeply he is playing the game then the superficial level at which I am seeing it, but hope that I will progress to become a better player over the coming couple of decades.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I still sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed when I realize just how much more deeply he is playing the game then the superficial level at which I am seeing it, but hope that I will progress to become a better player over the coming couple of decades.
This the path that everyone has followed or will follow. ASL is both vast and complicated. My guide is that after around fifty scenarios you begin to feel more comfortable with the system. Some players may take longer and some shorter. It helps to play different opponents.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This the path that everyone has followed or will follow. ASL is both vast and complicated. My guide is that after around fifty scenarios you begin to feel more comfortable with the system. Some players may take longer and some shorter. It helps to play different opponents.

JR
If it weren't this deep/rich, it wouldn't be near the fun that it is. I'll enjoy the journey. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I very much agree with JR above. I have about 30 games behind me since I restarted playing a year and a half ago, and probably about as many in the '90s and '00s. I'm getting reasonably confident with most of the rules and game situations, but I also occasionally take full tactical lessons once in a while - and I'm enjoying every bit of the road.

Sometimes I take some time planning a move (easy in PBEM games), and halfway through it, I realize it would have been better if I ordered the moves differently.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I realize it would have been better if I ordered the moves differently.
Yep. I'm still largely at the stage of just thinking about building up mass in the attack. Other than first moving HS to see if I can make the defender commit D-fire, I don't often consider the order of movement of my units. Thinking about VBM freeze as an effective option last weekend was a first step towards more tactical subtlety and more effective play. Saturday was only my eleventh completed scenario, so this will come with time (at least I don't think that I'm an idiot, but, then again, idiots probably seldom suspect that they are :D).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Today in ASL I am honored and humbled by the generous action of one Mr "Vinnie" IMG_3679.JPG , who endeavoured to procure an ASLOK tshirt for me, lugged it back to Scotland and then sent it to me - completely free of charge.

GENT!!!!!!!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Today in ASL I am honored and humbled by the generous action of one Mr "Vinnie" View attachment 3293 , who endeavoured to procure an ASLOK tshirt for me, lugged it back to Scotland and then sent it to me - completely free of charge.

GENT!!!!!!!
He’s a quality dude.

I’m still gonna shoot him.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

JR
I didn't make any attempt to comprehend the rule book until after I had played one hundred games. I read the pieces I needed to play and then played. I wrote down things to look up after my games but played. Once I felt like I had a tenuous grasp on the game, I finally read to comprehend. It was pretty eye opening at that point. -- jim