Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

dhersh

noob
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cleaned the basement enough to create a dedicated ASL space - it may be time soon to dive into a campaign finally.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tons.

But after playing KGS9 Lost in a Day, my opponent and I planned a return to Kampfgruppe Scherer KGS10 Red Ruin Roulette. Comic AAR most definitely this time!

PS. Plus look like I am heading back for another Attack period in Gavutu-Tanambogo

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tons.

But after playing KGS9 Lost in a Day, my opponent and I planned a return to Kampfgruppe Scherer KGS10 Red Ruin Roulette. Comic AAR most definitely this time!

PS. Plus look like I am heading back for another Attack period in Gavutu-Tanambogo
That's funny, Jackson, as my opponent and I just started KGS10 yesterday at lunch....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not quite a real ASL job, but I am setting up a new laptop. All my ASL stuff, including GS visits are on my old Vista and moving to Windows 10. Though this post is the first from the new laptop, it will be many weeks before all packages are reinstalled (if they work under W10!), data moved and various settings and favorites copied over.

I attempted to get the Vista and W10 machines into the same work group yesterday and for some reason they could not see each other. Very late last night I hibernated (not shutdown) both to try again in the morning and when I un-hibernated them they saw each other without any further action on my part! ??? I did a trial copy of video files and was getting 50-60 MByte/s despite the fact that the Vista machine was chugging through a Windows update. At least when it worked it worked very well.

If you hear of a Dublin shop assistant having to have a laptop surgically removed, it's likely my fault. :mad:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Got S47 'Not So Disposed' set up and ready to go.
It's been a while since the last game.

This one should be interesting, lots of U.S. 667s and 747s against mixed Italians and (more interesting!) it's linked to S48 in somewhat campaign game style.
Darby's Rangers are tasked to take the port of Gela and in S48 the airfield beyond.

Notably, this one has a U.S. 10-3, two Italian 75* ART pieces, and SSRs linking remnants to the next scenario. :cool:

Will post results later.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada

Will post results later.
Well, I was the U.S. player and my son Tom took the Italians.
The task was to remove all good order non-crew MMC from all multi hex buildings by game end (5 1/2 turns).
One more turn should have done it.
I was not aggressive enough with Mr. 10-3, though he accounted for 4 KIAs during the game.
Italian losses exceeded the historical count, but I just couldn't manage to get to the buildings in his backfield.
Too many MC failures set me back.

A good close game, now the remaining Italians are added to the next scenario's OOB, while I retain my U.S. Rangers (4 squads + 1 crew more than the basic scenario OOB).

It's going to be really tough on the Rangers, though, there is a lot of Italian infantry plus eight R35 tanks entering the fray!
The BAZ 43s and the 37LL AT will certainly get a work out, a good thing too, they didn't contribute much to the previous outing.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Hey Siri, give me a dice roll" (blah blah)

"Hey Siri, give me a 2d6" (blah blah blah)

"Hey Siri, give me a number between 1 & 12"
"A Random Number between 1 & 12 is 9"

Okay, we are not quite there yet ..

PS
"Hey Siri, give me a two check"
"That may be beyond my abilities at the moment"
Hey, she's honest.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Whoa! You hit the jackpot. Not only did you get an algebraic number (a zero probability event), you got a rational number and even an integer. You should rush out and buy a lottery ticket! ;-)
If you got a truly random number from a computer you should run out and buy a lottery ticket then. Not only will you always get a rational number from a computer, you will get a rational number of a fairly small scale.

JR

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you got a truly random number from a computer you should run out and buy a lottery ticket then. Not only will you always get a rational number from a computer, you will get a rational number of a fairly small scale.

JR
True, the curse of floating point representation and pseudo-random generators. My recollection of a crypto class I once took is that all proofs of security started with "Assume a random oracle," a phrase that I've always liked.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You guys are assuming only limited ways of producing, and outputting, random numbers. These days computers have "truly random" number generators that are pretty good - typically made by looking at low-weight digits of measurements for physical values (temperature, what have you). Last time I checked, the default random number purveyor of DRs for VASL, aka random.org, worked along these lines.

And next, if you want a real uniform number (which will be irrational, and even transcendental, with probability 1), you can have an algorithm that ouptuts a finite string, say 1.236, with a meaning of "your random number lies between 1.236 and 1.237; if you need more digits, you can roll for them yourself and append them, the result will be a random number of the kind you requested" (the natural way of doing this would be in binary, but the method works just as well in decimal).

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I pulled out the rulebook and the vehicle overrun flowchart. I'm a bit dazed from reading all this, but tomorrow, undaunted, I toss some counters on a board and try to make my through all this. If, somehow, this isn't enough punishment for me, then CC reaction fire. :eek:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Today I pulled out the rulebook and the vehicle overrun flowchart. I'm a bit dazed from reading all this, but tomorrow, undaunted, I toss some counters on a board and try to make my through all this. If, somehow, this isn't enough punishment for me, then CC reaction fire. :eek:

Basic: declare OVR as you enter the hex, spend extra MP, attack on the IIFT. As with all BFF attacks, the enemy can DFF before your BFF attack happens. Unlike most BFF, if the vehicle does not survive (or is immobilized, shocked, etc), the OVR attack is still made but at half firepower. Lots more details, but that is the gist.

Complications: the defenders are entirely concealed. Then the attacker cannot declare the OVR as it enters. It must enter as a separate expenditure, then if it is still able, it can declare the OVR IN the hex.

The Defensive First Fire options are perhaps where the greatest differences like, particularly CC Reaction Fire. CC Reaction Fire is CC in the enemy MPh for the most part. Unlike most DFF, the unit is attacked by the OVR first and only if it survives can it attack with CC-RF. Non-CC-RF is a complicated way of saying "regular DFF that occurs after (rather than before) the OVR", and it has certain benefits over regular DFF, like it automatically hits the rear of the target.

Again, lots of details, but that is the broad outline.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello there - this is Carl Nogueira's marketing agent here - grab a hold of ASL Journal 8 and read "CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC - a detailed look at the Vehicular Overrun". You absolutely can't go wrong with this.

Rgds Jack