Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Played S44, which ended up with a Polish win much like the historical aftermath: killed one AC, shocked another (which recovered).
3 ACs ran off the board (1 VP each), I conceded one VP building (worth 2 VP), and we CC'd over a second VP building on the last half turn.
No ambush, one green Polish squad vs a 7-0 Slovak leader and two 3-4-7 squads.
I rolled a 3 for my 1-2 attack, and Tom missed his CC rolls (a 1-1 and a 1-2).
He finished with 5 VP, but needed 6 to win.

Nice and close, and pretty quick playing as I expected: only 4 1/2 turns with not a lot of counters in play.
If I hadn't killed the AC or if he'd won the CC he'd have the win.
Good fun.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Jackson is no longer on Facebook! Had enough of it all eh?

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was lucky enough to find another experienced player to give me a teaching game on VASL. We played about 3 full turns of BDF6 The Gingerbread Men out of Baraque de Fraiture. I played the Germans and my initial setup doomed me to failure from the start. I didn't realize that the armor could not travel the path on the East of the entry side of the board. This meant that my forces were split and about 35% of them weren't even in the initial battle and were 2 turns away from getting in position for the coming fight. The second lesson was that it was not possible for me to stop the US troops or even inflict heavy casualties at the entry woods line. I had to expose too many troops to fire and give them poor or no rout paths while inflicting limited casualties. The Deep Snow really changed the movement also. We left off after about 4 hours and I learned a lot to apply in the future. Would like to play this scenario again after I have some more experience.
- Rout Paths! I keep getting lessons in this the hard way.
- Use the open ground to your advantage as a defender. The HMG, MMG can reach out across the open ground and deep snow can slow down the assault.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jackson is still playing though.

His Marines are finding Gavutu a tough nut to crack. I took advantage of an opportunity to jump into some 1-2 HtH CC's and won all three. The Marines are pinned to the southern shore of Gavutu.

see the attached file
\\\\

Attachments

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Ran through SK Expansion Pack S45 in about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Eked out a win: needed at least 1 multi hex building for a Polish win, lost control to a big melee in one building on the west edge,
while I managed to pin a HS trying to wrest control of my one building near the east edge on the Slovak's last turn rush.

Nice fast playing scenarios so far!
Both S44 and S45 came right down to the wire.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed my first VASL game last night AP33 Second Cristot. This was my first look at bocage (mixed another scenario in before this one finished) and HIP and Germans that get PF. My use of the armor was poor as I lost 3 of my tanks to LOS mistakes. I captured the building and had the slimmest of possibilities to capture the hilltop victory hex with a vehicle entering the hex and hoping for a CC victory. Too many PF options killed my Sherman before the CC could occur. This was a fun scenario and I do like the flexibility of using VASL to play as you can. It has some quirks (maybe those are features) but still offers a great opportunity for more play. It also offers more of an opportunity to correct your strategy as you can analyze instead of just moving on. This is probably a bigger help to a newb like me.
For example, in between sessions I read Zen and the Art of Using Armor by Matt Shostak in Journal #2. I was able to use my Bren to perform a VBM Freeze in our next session allowing a couple of squads to pass along a road in front of an MG unmolested.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Today I began doing inventory of all missing parts of my recently acquired West of Alamein (chapter N, chapter H, half of overlays...). I need to count the counters.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, I've owned West of Alamein for more time than you could possibly have owned CoB, and I've yet to play a DTO scenario (but I've done a few PTO)...

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, I've owned West of Alamein for more time than you could possibly have owned CoB, and I've yet to play a DTO scenario (but I've done a few PTO)...
Since it's initial release (WoA) I have never played a desert scenario at all.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I've played a handful of desert scenarios, had to do Burning Chariots when it first came out of course!
I haven't played many PTO scenarios, though.
The Japanese require a rather different approach.

Anyway, on the weekend I played missions 3 and 4 of my latest SASL campaign (Poland 1939).
First was a Patrol, and second a Recon, which really didn't activate many Enemies but I kept getting German reinforcement groups toward the middle to end of the mission.
I got infantry reinforcements twice and a gun section on the second last turn.
None of them made it to any fighting and really weren't required anyway.

Next: on to Norway for another Patrol mission, and tonight SK scenario S46 with my son Tom.
This one has deep snow, so it seems like SK Expansion is adding some chrome a bit at a time.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not ASL but I did a bit of this today off of Praa Sands

Surfing.jpg

It's a rough life, and not a Shark in sight, although we saw some Seals, so that was nice:cool:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought the Seals were in Afghanistan and Iraq. Problems in Penzance again?

JR
well, you are right, well at least the ones I have worked with, however, they smelt like the aquatic ones so not much difference. :eek: And there are always problems in Penzance, nasty place.

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This week I received VoTG, FB and Hakka something or other all for 375.00. VoTG unpunched for 150.00 of that total.