Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The blades are cheap by the 100/box, I get 'em where I work for 10% over cost.
And I prefer the C4. It's quicker.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got together with my friend for our "once a month," playing "Wise's War" (AP118). I learned that rolling box cars on a 16+2 shot just stinks (no effect and malfing my MG - ouch!). Getting pinned and then DM'ed on back-to-back 2FP shots also kind of can take the wind out of your sails. Anyway, and more importantly, I also learned to start liking this scenario. At first, I just hated that my Germans couldn't stand and fight - it frustrated the crap out of me. Slowly, I'm learning that buying time and running, sacrificing a unit here or there actually can be fun. The gun crews are great speed bumps; as they don't count for victory conditions they are great for slowing pursuers or letting them get into CC. The roller coaster of ASL (one turn sure that I would lose before the next turn, and then thinking the next turn that I just might hold on to win this thing) is just unequalled in gaming. Just a super fun day today!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  • All my PBeM logs came back all at the same time .. including 2 Downtown logs
  • Amongst the PBeM logs are 2 ASLSK games with 2 new Taiwan players - S14 88s at Zon and S53 Workers Unite! .. I gotta admit, these SK scenarios are pretty fun!
  • Dolan's back so we gonna get Gavutu-Tanambogo CG started again.
  • Fleming will be back next week, I gotta finish setting up J76 Ultimate Treachery. At this rate, there's no way I can finish my setups in time for Angkorfest!
  • Once X Teacher gets his 1st date defense setup done, we are going to start the Suicide Creek CG. I will then be back to my full weekly ASL schedule!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
  • Amongst the PBeM logs are 2 ASLSK games with 2 new Taiwan players - S14 88s at Zon and S53 Workers Unite! .. I gotta admit, these SK scenarios are pretty fun!
  • Fleming will be back next week, I gotta finish setting up J76 Ultimate Treachery. At this rate, there's no way I can finish my setups in time for Angkorfest!
  • Once X Teacher gets his 1st date defense setup done, we are going to start the Suicide Creek CG. I will then be back to my full weekly ASL schedule!
Man's gotta be on amphetamines...

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dolan was there. Back from vacation ready for some ASLPTO goodness.
Q: Where was The Kwan?
A: sleeping in.

I think num nuns were involved.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Completed the 'big 3' SK scenarios with 'Last Ally, Last Victory'.
I held that one back (it's actually the second last scenario) since it's got a lot of tanks and would take a while to finish: in the
end it took nearly 6 hours.
I killed all Tom's tanks, I lost 2 Pz IV Js and one Panther, but just couldn't manage to squeak out the required 9 multi hex buildings.
5 of his 9 vehicle crews survived and proved pretty pesky.
Fun stuff: 3 burning wrecks, Pz VIBs and Panzerschrecks! :cool:

What we'll do next is undecided.
I have the SK Expansion, Beyond the Beaches, and Decision at Elst (HASLs will have to wait until my daughter cleans out the stuff stored in her room).

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also don't think SK has burning wrecks! :) Fun scenario though... I lost too many tanks to a hidden gun in that one on Turn 1. Lesson learned.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forging my way through AP33 Second Cristot in my first VASL game. We are through turn 6 with me as the Canadians. I have a lot to learn as an armor commander....more to learn as an armor commander in bocage. The main value my tanks are providing is as target practice for various German tank killing implements..

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Tomorrow I'm meeting Neil Andrews from Oz. He just moved to Oxfordshire and got in touch about ASL. I'm suffering from CFS and so I won't be up to much FtF play for the time being, but it will be nice to meet up.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
You have me confused. ASLSK has no crew survival. I believe it has no vehicle crew counters either.

JR
Well, I just naturally have us roll for survival.
It's printed on the back of the AFV counters, and I have had the counters in my storage boxes since BV.
I tend to sneak some full ASL rules in wherever possible.
I'm trying to ease Tom into the full rule set.
I like to use the HOB rules also: I hate seeing snakes rolled on a MC and getting nothing in return!

I've also given some snippets concerning concealment, as it's probably the biggest difference between SK and full ASL.
Many of the other differences you may not use every scenario, but concealment is the biggy.

It's easier for him to nibble at the rules than try to digest the whole at once (like many of us did).

Regarding the crews, I told him that they had a relatively high CCV for their size, so that's what he used 'em for: chasing my King Tigers and Panthers around.
He jumped one of the Panthers, but rolled a 6.
I killed the crew with the sN.
I never got to use one before: everyone always avoided CC'ing sN equipped tanks like the plague.

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Today I started scanning my scenario collection into PDF, and organizing the files. Core modules first, and in roughly increasing order of scenario numbers, I'm up to Hollow Legions - with, for some unknown reason, the Partisan! scenarios missing (and one scenario card from Beyond Valor, as well).

Rough estimate of the time it will take me overall: er... way too much :)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got my French and Allied Minor counters put into Plano boxes. The Allied Minor 5/8" counters were from sheets that I picked-up through eBay from some early edition of Doomed Battalions and were a major pain requiring much use of an Xacto knife (the die didn't cut deeply enough). But, now the little Ziplock bags for those two nationalities are forever a thing of the past (gradually getting my kit moved from little bags to Plano 2-3701).

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Finnished (!) trimming the counters from HP last night and was supposed to start SK Expansion pack scenario S44 tonight, but Tom has schoolwork to do.
I will then relocate my Axis Minors to a bigger container, since they're overcrowded presently.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to admit, esp in particularly tough weeks, ASL & the ASL community is a big part of what keeps me going. Thank you.

PS Plus ASL is pretty much the only reason why I keep talking to big, old, balding men (oh I am SOO blessed)