Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Drove to the train station; took the train to downtown Montreal (30 minutes). Took the subway to eastern downtown Montreal (15 minutes). Walked to Le Valet De Coeur (5 minutes) to buy Journal 12 and WO2017 that I pre-ordered through them. Got the two items with a 10% discount for a total of about 67 dollars, tax in. Paid cash so they could avoid the credit card fee. This is the ONLY game store I know of in this province that sells ASL products.
Deep down in your soul, you know it is worth it.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well tonight I finished off the last box of Unclipped counters, 3,205 of Marine MMC's full and 1:2squad, 1/2 & 5/8 v, turn markets, snipers and 1,2,3S rope counters. Over 13k of American 1/2" counters and over 200k of all counters.
So when are we going to Play Test your ASL version of the whole of ww2 Olli?:D

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well we have most of Stalingrad done (Tennis racket almost complete now), Prokhorvka is done, and a fair bit of the Brit/Canuck sector of Nomandie. so we are getting there:D

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Would you "share" your label files with "others"?
Both the article on RAACO storage (22 pages) and the file with ASL counter labels for use with A75 & A78 RAACO inserts and RAACO Assorters are now available in the Resource section of GS forum here:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/

Important note:

GS seems to have a size limit which forced me to upload a rather low resolution version of the article. Furthermore, GS does not allow uploads of the Excel file format (.xls). The latter greatly reduces the usefulness of the label file as it does not allow you to edit and expand on the labels to suit your needs. While the low resolution article is good enough, please view the label file in PDF format only as proof of concept.

The guys from Texas ASL Club were so kind to make the article in better resolution and the label file in the much more useful Excel file format (.xls) available on their website. Three cheers and my thanks!

http://www.texas-asl.com/
http://texas-asl.com/download/The Ultimate RAACO Storage Solution.pdf
http://texas-asl.com/download/ASL Counter Labels for RAACO A75 and A78 inserts.xls

If you are interested in using the label file, I would strongly recommend using the Excel version when it becomes available.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well we have most of Stalingrad done (Tennis racket almost complete now), Prokhorvka is done, and a fair bit of the Brit/Canuck sector of Nomandie. so we are getting there:D
H8tr...

Everyone is forgetting the most "Wonderful" Beach at Normandy.... Utah Beach was the "Mother of All Beach Battles" (the first MoABB).

Even "Frankie and Annette" avoided this wonderful beach.

Without the success of the US 4th Infantry Division completing all objectives that day and linking up with the two Airborne Divisions, the entire beach head would have been "Overrun" by the units from Brittany.....

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
H8tr...

Everyone is forgetting the most "Wonderful" Beach at Normandy.... Utah Beach was the "Mother of All Beach Battles" (the first MoABB).

Even "Frankie and Annette" avoided this wonderful beach.

Without the success of the US 4th Infantry Division completing all objectives that day and linking up with the two Airborne Divisions, the entire beach head would have been "Overrun" by the units from Brittany.....
:D:D:D Not so Kevin (as you are the main man in the OFF squad I am surprised you even know anything other than 'Der Ost' exists! In truth I have never really looked at Utah, or Omaha for that matter, my attention has always been on our side of the bridgehead, and mainly the Canadian 3rd ID and Brit 11th Armoured Div (my old Regiment 3 RTR was the most experianced Regiment in the 29th Armoured Brigade, Hell in the whole Bridgehead to be honest).

Hope you are well mate.

Drang Nach Im Osten!

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting up plenty of ASL for tomorrow night--ASL 17 Lost Opportunities against my buddy Bryan Vieages (whom has been my FTF opponent for 20 years as of this month!)

Also setting up some SS vs Russians to practice Berserk rules and for solo play CH Petty's War scenario "No BARs To Be Had."

ASL 17 Lost Opportunities.JPG Berserk! rule practice.JPG Pettys War scenario.JPG No BARs To Be Had setup.JPG Pettys War scenario closeup.JPG

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was dabbling with the idea to finally punch my CounterSmith turret counters for Germans/Russians & Americans/British that I had lying around for numerous years.

I had to notice that in the Amercian/British pack were 3x Countersheet #4 instead of one each of #4, #5, and #6. :mad:

von Marwitz

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my buddy Bryan Vieages in ASL17 Lost Opportunities---turned into a bad dicefest for my friend.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was dabbling with the idea to finally punch my CounterSmith turret counters for Germans/Russians & Americans/British that I had lying around for numerous years.

I had to notice that in the Amercian/British pack were 3x Countersheet #4 instead of one each of #4, #5, and #6. :mad:

von Marwitz
I checked my two copies of US/Brit turrets and have the same thing---3x #4 countersheets.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hmmm...

In fact, you could be right... I have not counted it though, but there might just be less different vehicle types for the US and the British to explain it.

von Marwitz

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I finally broke down and spent some of my filthy lucre on backissues and a subscription to Dispatches from the Bunker (Thanks Sparafucil3 for the suggestion!). Looking forward to reading the ASL goodness when I leave for course in a week! Also, posted the first installment of an AAR from my last game!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Today, another RAACO shipment with a 4th Handybox and some other stuff arrived.

This allowed me to finalize my 'retired' ASL stuff and finally do away with storage things for the time being.

One thing that might be of interest to the community:

During a game, it is nice to have the most used counters of a given nationality (mostly squads, HS, and Concealement) close at hand along with the system counters. RAACO seemed not the optimum to this end, so I put some thought in it to find a solution:

For the system counters (Prep Fire, First Fire, etc.) a good idea might be to have a spare Assorter with the lid removed. It will allow you to house all that you need systemwise with ease. And by removing the lid, you eliminate the danger of someone accidentally tearing the Assorter down passing your table with the lid standing open. To shift 8 inserts from the normal storage Assorter of your system counters to the lidless 'in-play' one takes less than a minute.

Furthermore, each side usually needs some counters of the given nationality close at hand. Mostly, this will be squads and HS that might need adjustment during the game due to ELR etc and maybe a couple of vehicles or HIP stuff. Theoretically, you could take the few A75 & A78 inserts from your Assorter and place them next to the playing area. But having two to four of them 'loose' on the table might not appeal to the more OCD among us.

Well, there is a solution:
136471.jpg
The above image displays the following RAACO article:
http://raaco.com/Produktdetails-1150.aspx?ProductID=136471&VariantID=&GroupID=55 i bakke

Of interest to us are not the four inserts shown (having the height of two A75 or A78 stacked atop each other). The nifty part is the small tray beneath them which is apparently not available separately. It allows you to set four inserts of the A75 or A78 size into it, so that they won't shift around individually.

So buy two of these, discard the unneeded larger inserts, then you have a tray for each opponent in which he can fit, say one A75 with squads, one A75 with HS of his side, maybe an empty A71 and a fourth insert that he might need (or not).

This way, for both players you will have all system counters and needed nationality counters taking up the space of roughly two Assorters pretty safely next to the playing area not using much space and you don't need to meddle with other Assorters during the game.

von Marwitz

Last edited: