TOAW questions.

Harlikwin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I wondering if some of the veteran players can help me out. I used to play these games when they first came out. But now I can't find a copy anywhere. I would be looking for the "last" version I suppose, I'm not sure if thats century of warfare, or game of the year or the elite edition. So I'm wondering which version of the game I should try to find.

The second question I have regards scenario building and map editing. I'm wondering if its possible to create new units? Mainly I would be interested in Sci-fi type units. And I assume its possible to make new maps?

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ACOW (A Century Of Warfare) would be the one you're looking for. As far as I know, it's still available on the Talonsoft site.

The map editor included with the game allows for custom built maps but I think the only way to create new units is by using the bio-editor; a useful little utility which I believe can be found at TDG.

Harlikwin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi.

It appears the talonsoft site is down? Did they go out of business or is it a temporary problem?

Also where is this TGD site?

I was also wondering if the this game will run under win2000?

Harlikwin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well 40 bucks is a bit steep, anyone else have any ideas where to find the game?

Also I noticed that my original copy of TOAW-2 will not work under win2k. Can someone confirm that the TOAW:ACW does work under 2K-WinXP?

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Harlikwin said:
Well 40 bucks is a bit steep, anyone else have any ideas where to find the game?

Also I noticed that my original copy of TOAW-2 will not work under win2k. Can someone confirm that the TOAW:ACW does work under 2K-WinXP?
Yep ACOW, definitely works under XP. You have to use "win2K' compatability mode though, so I assume it works under 2K also.

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Harlikwin said:
Hi,I'm wondering if its possible to create new units? Mainly I would be interested in Sci-fi type units. And I assume its possible to make new maps?
Yes, all of it is possible. There is a Lord of the Rings scenario, fantasy yes, but very close to Sci-Fi. The same techniques which were used on the LotR scenario would also apply to a Sci-Fi scenario. It really just depends on your imagination and the amount of time you can devote to drawing graphic files.

Regards, RhinoBones

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finding ACOW

I'm like you Harlikwin, I owned, played, and designed scenarios for TOAW, Started looking for ACOW off and on about a year ago. THe last copy I saw on e-bay went for $39.95 that was close enough to take-2's price of 39.99 to convince me to go ahead and purchase it from them. Watch out for their shipping prices though :surprise:

Harlikwin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys. I orderd the game today.

Anyone know where one can still find patches for TOAW II? And TOAW:ACOW?

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Harlikwin said:
Thanks guys. I orderd the game today.

Anyone know where one can still find patches for TOAW II? And TOAW:ACOW?
The ACOW 1.04 patch can be found on the TOAW HQ page of this site. ;)

Priest

Reaction score
Since the official Talonsoft site seems to be down try here:

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Click on "PC" then the letter "T" and scroll down to "The Operational Art of War". Note for ACOW DL the 1.04 patch not the 1.06 patch. The 1.06 patch seems to have some problems.

Last edited:

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Harlikwin said:
Hi.

It appears the talonsoft site is down? Did they go out of business or is it a temporary problem?

Also where is this TGD site?

I was also wondering if the this game will run under win2000?
You will find us at TDG

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Install Problem

Hey guys,

I just got my copy of COW. I installed the game from the cd, it ran no problem. I found a 1.04 patch as a zip at http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ from their US mirror. The zip did not contain an executable, but numerous files that I unzipped into my acow directory. Now the game won't find the cd. I expect the problem lies with the fact that I have two HD's on the computer (drives C & D) and two CD-roms (drives E & F)...anybody got a clue for me....running win98SE
I should point out that the link here goes to Talonsofts page which is kaput

thanks in advance

HK

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
HK,

Uninstall CoW. Then do a fresh install. Download this zipped file. Follow the instructions on the readme file inside. Then you will be patched to 1.04 and not require the cd in the machine to run.

The link is to my geocities site. To download the file you cannot left click on the link. You must right click, then choose "Save target as..."

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
High Krausen said:
Thanks JamIam,

that fixed it...it still needs the cd, but at least it finds it now.

HK
You need to do the file and registry work detailed in the readme file to do away with the need for the disk.

Priest

Reaction score
JAMiAM said:
You need to do the file and registry work detailed in the readme file to do away with the need for the disk.
Forgot where I downloaded it from but the nocd patch that I have had a setup program that did all that work for me. The readme thanks Wurtzlander, if that helps in determining where it came from.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Priest said:
Forgot where I downloaded it from but the nocd patch that I have had a setup program that did all that work for me. The readme thanks Wurtzlander, if that helps in determining where it came from.
I've got a copy of that, as well. It's here. Same geocities routine of right click, "Save target as..."