TOAW meteorologists help needed

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here's my dilema:

I'm looking for a way to simulate as best as it is possible the monsoon weather for a Vietnam scenario, here are the parameters:

-5km/hex
-weekly turns
-Two types of weather: hot & dry and hot & rainy
-Two monsoons per year (thats the tricky part)
.May-November: Southern Monsoon (hot & dry in the north, hot & rainy in the south)
.November-May: Northern Monsson (hot & dry in the south, hot & rainy in the north)

What do you guys reckon? anyway to achieve that? (I've always been crap at using the event editor to set the weather :nuts: )

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 Weather Zones do what you want?

i'm not sure but I think you can change the weather for a particular zone using events and if you have at least two zones ( one for the north and one for the south ) you oughta be able to simlulate the monsoon(s) in each zone when they are supposed to happen. I'm just guessing here but that'd be my guess.

:whist:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Boonierat said:
Here's my dilema:

I'm looking for a way to simulate as best as it is possible the monsoon weather for a Vietnam scenario, here are the parameters:

-5km/hex
-weekly turns
-Two types of weather: hot & dry and hot & rainy
-Two monsoons per year (thats the tricky part)
.May-November: Southern Monsoon (hot & dry in the north, hot & rainy in the south)
.November-May: Northern Monsson (hot & dry in the south, hot & rainy in the north)

What do you guys reckon? anyway to achieve that? (I've always been crap at using the event editor to set the weather :nuts: )
First you need 2 weather zones. If 2 don't fit in your map, you can add unplayable hexes above and below until the weather zone limit is where you want (be warned though, that the map maybe a bit odd). For the monsoon you may want to use the Storms event, which brings a lot of rain, repeatedly. If you want mud to dry up, add a warm front.

Stauffenberg

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In addition to that, by the sounds of it you want an event loop. Use a start event as the master trigger--probably a storm event, and have all the other events in sequence activated by this event; eg. storm +1 turn delay, storm +2 turn delay, and whatever warm or cold fronts you want.

Once the sequence is done duplicate the whole series with self-enabling events with +1 turn delay. Once done you can activate the master trigger whenever you want to have the whole series reactivated, twice a year or whatever.

D.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
at least both zones can be set to hot.

the loop event will work for the rain but as both zones have the opposite desired effect and weather will affect both zones, you cannot reflect "selective inverse" monsoon.

weather is another weak point of TOAW... sadly.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
piero1971 said:
at least both zones can be set to hot.

the loop event will work for the rain but as both zones have the opposite desired effect and weather will affect both zones, you cannot reflect "selective inverse" monsoon.

weather is another weak point of TOAW... sadly.
Yeah I know :nervous: and using cool fronts isn't satisfactory either as it affects zones from N to S or vice versa. Using storm is a good way to simultate monsoons but it affects the whole map. The ideal would be a cool front coupled with storms affecting only one zone, then the other, in 6-months sequence each.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
piero1971 said:
I think you can't.

is monsoon that different in VN?
Yup, South Vietnam had two distinctive monsoons, one affecting the northern tier in Winter and another affecting the South of Annam and Cochin China in the Summer

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
then you have hit a wall in the fabric of the MAtrix.

just can't think of any ways to simulate that.

I had a sort of the same problem in scens that span from north europe to the sahara.

in winter europe is cold, sahara is still hot (but windy) (to make it simple)
in summer europe is hot, sahara is hotter.

in spring sahara is full of dust, storms, etc. how to portray that - ok, rains... but still not as bad as what you are facing...

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think, if you put 'muddy' as the base terrain effect for the south, it will all be muddy when the storms hit. If you don't put 'muddy' as the base terrain effect in the North, it will only be muddy in hexes that pass the storm effect percentage.
Sooo, you can guarantee 'muddy' in one zone but not the other.

It is a difficult problem you are trying to solve.
Possibly, have the map run E-W, i know, that would look silly but.....

:D