TOAW maps and TGA files

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody know a program that will open the TGA files created by TOAW map dumps? My copy of Corel Draw #7 standard knows what a TGA is but thinks that they are too large. Failing that what is the best way to get as large and complete a computer file of a complete TOAW map?

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a nice shareware program ($30) but you can try it for 30 days first. UniView

I use the MacroMedia products (I think it's Freehand or Fireworks for tga files.) Do you want me to do one up for you and send it to you?

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer said:
Here's a nice shareware program ($30) but you can try it for 30 days first. UniView

I use the MacroMedia products (I think it's Freehand or Fireworks for tga files.) Do you want me to do one up for you and send it to you?
Uniview won't do Topp's Barbarossa 9.0. Didn't tell me why. I am pasting maps together in Draw and I'll try to make a map out of it all later with ODD probably. I remember once seeing some Draw format stencils of hex maps but don't know if I could find them again or have time/wherewithal to create them myself. It may be time to spring for some real graphics software. If you don't mind trying with your software could you turn it into a managabley sized JPG? -emailable I guess, I'll find out how big of a file Draw 7.0 standard will open.

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Tiberius said:
Uniview won't do Topp's Barbarossa 9.0. Didn't tell me why. I am pasting maps together in Draw and I'll try to make a map out of it all later with ODD probably. I remember once seeing some Draw format stencils of hex maps but don't know if I could find them again or have time/wherewithal to create them myself. It may be time to spring for some real graphics software. If you don't mind trying with your software could you turn it into a managabley sized JPG? -emailable I guess, I'll find out how big of a file Draw 7.0 standard will open.
I use photoshop 5.5 and it opens upvery huge files like this tga files. One way of reducing the is to zoom out before you do the map dump...you´ll loose some of the details but the files gets considerable smaller.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tiberius said:
If you don't mind trying with your software could you turn it into a managabley sized JPG? -emailable I guess, I'll find out how big of a file Draw 7.0 standard will open.
Go here -
http://www.brentandmary.net/wp-content/Barbarossa.JPG

It's a little over 2 megs. I did this with Uniview so it may be an issue with how much memory you have on your computer. The tga file is huge ... 22 megs.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer said:
Go here -
http://www.brentandmary.net/wp-content/Barbarossa.JPG

It's a little over 2 megs. I did this with Uniview so it may be an issue with how much memory you have on your computer. The tga file is huge ... 22 megs.
Hmmm... could be memory. I have one gig but I should try restarting first. Tonight I'll try all that. Thanks for the image in the meantime. By the time I am done (if ever) the map will be a 'reference' and will appear in my bibliography with full credit where due

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some time ago I asked the same question about tga files and someone directed me to a viewer named IrfanView. It’s a great little “free” download. I have taken 20+ meg tga files, opened them, saved them as jpg files and resized them to a manageable 200k jpg format. Suggest you search on IrfanView and find the download site.

Regards, RhinoBones