TOAW III New Player Workshop - Enrollment

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is appropriate to note that the current tendency for re-org also effects the Allied Air Force, to varying extents. In tracking the first 7 turns or so, about 40-50% of the air units go into re-org, typically continuing with their last assigned mission or at rest.

Most of the air units are composed of fighters, which are good against armor, but not so effective against soft targets. There are two heavy bomber and I think three medium bomber units, and two of these are withdrawn relative to the Allied advance.

As of T8, as Allies I've lost about 85 aircraft (total of all types) - however all air units are at 85+% strength with plenty of replacements in the pool.

Supply/readiness is the biggest problem in as much as it may be contributing to the re-org issue.

For the Allies...it's not like there's a shortage of equipment, so for the Axis, the effectiveness of using AA movement to get a few hits probably is not worth it. The 88's have KO'd quite a few Allied tanks when they've been in good defensive positions.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Gen' Staff: I agree, and I'll have to say this is perhaps one of the things I am most eager to see with my own, likewise, crying eyes. :)

John: Interesting experience. Now I am just dying to play in TOAW 3 that old original CD scenario: Normandy 44. Preferably vs the Computer Allied. What fun to erect AA hell highway, company after company of Flak along the highways! Revenge!

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Mark: Flak should protect the troops from air, and as a last resort against ground attack. I will have to study the effects, but I would spontaneously imagine that killing enemy tanks with Flak kamikaze units is less worth than having retreating units move safely and dig in to the rear, without being dug-out or 'retreated' and severly reduced by 700 P-47s. The trick is probably to both have the cake and eat it... ;)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dicke Bertha said:
Mark: Flak should protect the troops from air, and as a last resort against ground attack. I will have to study the effects, but I would spontaneously imagine that killing enemy tanks with Flak kamikaze units is less worth than having retreating units move safely and dig in to the rear...
Yeah, and we all know that the germans improvised in 1940 with their 88s..

Heinz57 said:
There are two heavy bomber
Let us not forget the one house rule of that scenario which permits* setting the heavy bombers on interdiction. :whist:

*this is not an act of sabotage against the axis team members...has to be 'prevents'

Last edited:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Telumar said:
Let us not forget the one house rule of that scenario which permits setting the heavy bombers on interdiction. :whist:
"prevents" is the word you were looking for :p

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Telumar said:
Yeah, and we all know that the germans improvised in 1940 with their 88s..
Yes, but can you say how many Germans in their 40s were actually imprisoned in 1988? :smoke:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Kraut said:
"prevents" is the word you were looking for :p
Argh! :angry: Du hast recht, warum können diese Amis kein Deutsch?? Spart euch die Antwort...

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Main thing with the AA is that units composed mostly of 88's have an AA strength of 4 vs. high altitude air while the lighter (20mm/37mm) have a strength of 3 vs. low altitude air, which will be more common.

I don't know if the high altitude rating has an effect vs. low altitude air units, though I seem to remember seeing that there is some minimal effect for the reverse.

Generally...ha...88's would seem to be good at anything. I'm not seeing radical air losses for air units thus far in my game with Der Wanderer. I've noted a few evaps when assigning them to direct support in different scenarios, but not frequent and not so heavy losses when leaving them on global support.

It hasn't effected prosecution of the air war in FiTE, though 23 of 36 JU87's were lost attacking the Russian navy, got the BB but not the DD's.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Telumar said:
Argh! :angry: Du hast recht, warum können diese Amis kein Deutsch?? Spart euch die Antwort...
Ich verstehe sie nicht. ;) Könnten sie das bitte erklären? Nein, keine probleme, ich weiß, ich weiß...

Aber dein Englisch ist sehr gut.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Gen'ral Staff, how do you go about writing the German 'ss' sign, my screen goes bananas when I try my old 'alt'+0223...

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dicke Bertha said:
Gen'ral Staff, how do you go about writing the German 'ss' sign, my screen goes bananas when I try my old 'alt'+0223...
?? You mean in the editor? Ctrl* + B. Was that what you meant?

*damned german keyboards, it's 'Strg' on mine, should be Crtl on the english ones, down left.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Dicke Bertha said:
Now I 'know' you're a clever lad and I hope this isn't related to another thread I posted elsewhere on the ss. ;) Assuming not ß works if you go to control panel, select 'regional and language settings', go to advanced and select German- which variety is your choice. You'll probably then have to reboot to get it to work.

It will install the pages needed or find them and make them accessible. Then you just have to select which language page you want to use, and this is usually on the taskbar at bottom right on your screen. You then need to 'know' a German keyboard layout. On my good old Saxon keyboard it's the minus sign IIRC. A workaround I sometimes use is to type the message in MS Word- the 'Insert Symbol' can usually find accented characters, then paste into your message.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No, control+B only produces bold text. It is the 'B' or 'ss' sign. Like 'bloB', instead of 'bloss', 'weiB' instead of 'weiss' etc...

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ah, ok GS, so I'll have to learn how a German keybord is laid out.

Funny, ten years ago I had a Mac with a little clever program that let me write cyrillic signs, and where I hadn't memorised the Russian keybord, a pop-up one showed on the screen and I could mouse-click the tangent I wanted!

Anything like that around?

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Telumar, what would I do in the scenario editor? ;) Scenarios, I only play them, I don't produce them! Thanks anyway! :)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dicke Bertha said:
No, control+B only produces bold text. It is the 'B' or 'ss' sign. Like 'bloB', instead of 'bloss', 'weiB' instead of 'weiss' etc...
Ah! And i thought you meant the SS Runes in the Scenario editor...

I have the ß sign on the key right from my 0 (zero, not O). It needs no alt, ctrl, shift or something like that. So if you select 'german' like GS said, simply press the button right from 0.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to see your interest Marshal Zhukov,

I'll add you to the Allied roster, but it may be a few days before there's an opponent to match with you. We're still waiting for the development team to receive their copies, so it will be a few days before things get going.

Mark