Great, can i be on the Allies side.
:violin: :vegguitar: :banana: :coolban: :redapple: :broccoli:

Joss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heinz57 said:
Joss, Mangus2000, Bradley and Toltesi,

You're in time for the fun, yes! I'll be adding you to the rosters shortly, there may be a wait involved before you are assigned opponents.

Mark

Not a problem. Glad I could be included.

Joss

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mangus2000 & Joss,

If Joss is open to playing Axis, I can make the switch for Mangus2000, but it may take some time for your access to the respective forums to be updated.

Otherwise, at the moment, both of you will need to wait a bit for new opponents, if you both want to be on the Allied Team.

Let me know and we'll try to get something worked out.

Mark

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My apologies for a bit of a slow start, I was unavoidably pulled away from the computer last night.

We will be focusing a few days on discussions of strategy, the TOAW III game engine and similar issues. One thing we are awaiting is for the development team to receive their copies of TOAW III. Other developments are in the process, too, so before joining battle - it'd be good to wait for the artillery to get set up...

Joss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm fine with playing Axis if you want to make a switch.

Joss

Heinz57 said:
Mangus2000 & Joss,

If Joss is open to playing Axis, I can make the switch for Mangus2000, but it may take some time for your access to the respective forums to be updated.

Otherwise, at the moment, both of you will need to wait a bit for new opponents, if you both want to be on the Allied Team.

Let me know and we'll try to get something worked out.

Mark

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Joss,

We have one more addition willing to play either side, so we'll keep you on the Allied side to minimize impact. Sorry for the confusion, wasn't sure if we'd be getting more players or not.

Mark

Joss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heinz57 said:
Hi Joss,

We have one more addition willing to play either side, so we'll keep you on the Allied side to minimize impact. Sorry for the confusion, wasn't sure if we'd be getting more players or not.

Mark

Not a problem.

Joss

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Heinz57 said:
it'd be good to wait for the artillery to get set up...
Talking about arty, one tip for both sides is the concept of range. Take Arty/709 Inf in hex 18.5 in 2WIN and select it. Wow 14-2 you might say with R:5 (5 hex range) in top right window. But then take a look under the hood by right-clicking on the unit and selecting 'Show Unit Report'.

Notice now the difference. You've got 12x155mm Howitzers with a range of only 3 hexes. 16x76mm Howitzers with a range of only 4 hexes. 8x100mm Howitzers with a range of 3 hexes. The 5 hex range you see and think you get with the unit at first glance is granted only to the 12x105mm Guns.

So of 48 arty pieces in the unit, only 12 fire to 5 hexes. Bear this in mind always when siting your arty particularly on defence and also with supply in mind- if you fire it will take it out of the unit as a whole, not just those guns that can get to the range. Also note their respective anti-personnel values, particularly important in this scenario and I'll explain later to the boys in grey when we get our own thread.

Experiment in hotseat mode with this and you'll soon find the differences. The more you experiment, the more you get a 'feel' for what works and what doesn't and may 'The Force' be with you. There are no CRT tables here- practice makes perfect.

Hope this is useful.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
General Staff makes a very good point (would be fair to add this in the "War College Curriculum" when you get a chance).

I'll add some notes, too.

Hank2

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there room for another? I'd play either side if you need to keep teams even.

I can make at least 2 or 3 moves per week. ... an avid player I am.

I'm a noob to TOAW. Experienced at Panzer Campaigns and Battles in Normandy. ... and other various wargames.

Thanks ... hope there's room.
Hank

John Osborne

Reaction score
General Staff said:
Talking about arty, one tip for both sides is the concept of range. Take Arty/709 Inf in hex 18.5 in 2WIN and select it. Wow 14-2 you might say with R:5 (5 hex range) in top right window. But then take a look under the hood by right-clicking on the unit and selecting 'Show Unit Report'.

Notice now the difference. You've got 12x155mm Howitzers with a range of only 3 hexes. 16x76mm Howitzers with a range of only 4 hexes. 8x100mm Howitzers with a range of 3 hexes. The 5 hex range you see and think you get with the unit at first glance is granted only to the 12x105mm Guns.

So of 48 arty pieces in the unit, only 12 fire to 5 hexes. Bear this in mind always when siting your arty particularly on defence and also with supply in mind- if you fire it will take it out of the unit as a whole, not just those guns that can get to the range. Also note their respective anti-personnel values, particularly important in this scenario and I'll explain later to the boys in grey when we get our own thread.

Experiment in hotseat mode with this and you'll soon find the differences. The more you experiment, the more you get a 'feel' for what works and what doesn't and may 'The Force' be with you. There are no CRT tables here- practice makes perfect.

Hope this is useful.
Now I'm still learning, but couldn't you also divide unit up to three units, which i did and they still have a range of 5 hexs. So I could spread the arty forces around to cover more hex's

Does this make sense?

John

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
John Osborne said:
Now I'm still learning, but couldn't you also divide unit up to three units, which i did and they still have a range of 5 hexs. So I could spread the arty forces around to cover more hex's

Does this make sense?
You could split them up, but the equipment in the sub-units will be in roughly the same proportion as the parent unit, with slight variations due to integer rounding. Thus, the same range considerations will be in effect.

Whether it makes sense to do, is dependent on the situation. In Two Weeks in Normandy you may find this a bad idea for the German player unless you are using the split units to maximize retreat coverage, since the air interdiction of the Allies can be rather punishing. The split artillery units are more likely to evaporate under air attacks as they are generally just trucks (wagons) and guns. This makes them very brittle.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
John Osborne said:
Now I'm still learning, but couldn't you also divide unit up to three units, which i did and they still have a range of 5 hexs. So I could spread the arty forces around to cover more hex's. Does this make sense?
You'll probably find that if you divide the unit into 3, you'll end up with 3 units each of which now has 4x105mm Guns. And these will be the only assets reaching out to touch someone at 5 hexes. You lose other advantages when you split units too. Usually best to keep together and site for maximum defensive benefit in this scenario.

But the nature of your Q makes me wonder whether you looked at what I mentioned- namely the composition of the unit and in particular its individual equipment- i.e. guns. Any remaining Qs in this or something I didn't explain clearly? Don't be shy- we're here to try and help. Hope this does.

John Osborne

Reaction score
General Staff said:
You'll probably find that if you divide the unit into 3, you'll end up with 3 units each of which now has 4x105mm Guns. And these will be the only assets reaching out to touch someone at 5 hexes. You lose other advantages when you split units too. Usually best to keep together and site for maximum defensive benefit in this scenario.

But the nature of your Q makes me wonder whether you looked at what I mentioned- namely the composition of the unit and in particular its individual equipment- i.e. guns. Any remaining Qs in this or something I didn't explain clearly? Don't be shy- we're here to try and help. Hope this does.
Now that I reread your previous post. I understand what your stating. Back to drinking some more coffee :rolleyes:

John

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
General Staff said:
You lose other advantages when you split units too.
He means a reduction in the proficieny of the subunits, but once recombined the normal proficiency level is restored.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
JAMiAM said:
You could split them up, but the equipment in the sub-units will be in roughly the same proportion as the parent unit, with slight variations due to integer rounding. Thus, the same range considerations will be in effect.

Whether it makes sense to do, is dependent on the situation. In Two Weeks in Normandy you may find this a bad idea for the German player unless you are using the split units to maximize retreat coverage, since the air interdiction of the Allies can be rather punishing. The split artillery units are more likely to evaporate under air attacks as they are generally just trucks (wagons) and guns. This makes them very brittle.
Then again master, isn't it so that nowadays ;) that the plentiful German Flak batteries can be split and used to accompany the split artillery battallions and batteries too, since AA is actually hurting aircraft in TOAW3, and thus not only useful as speedbumping tank killers as in ACOW...

What the heck, am I helping the enemy... :shock: :bite:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
There's more than one way to skin a cat, but the best way is the way that doesn't get your arm torn to ribbons...:bite:

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Dicke Bertha said:
Then again master, isn't it so that nowadays ;) that the plentiful German Flak batteries can be split and used to accompany the split artillery battallions and batteries too, since AA is actually hurting aircraft in TOAW3, and thus not only useful as speedbumping tank killers as in ACOW...
I'm actually looking forward- sorry I've got to stop typing and wipe that tear out of my eye- to seeing AA shoot skywards for the first time in my TOAW career...

John Osborne

Reaction score
Dicke Bertha said:

What the heck, am I helping the enemy... :shock: :bite:
I noticed that as well. When the HQ moves without flak it seems to get punch right at the get go. But when it moves as well as the flak it fires at the aircraft and causes less damaged to the HQ element. Learn something everyday playing TOAW III :yummy: Or am I seeing things again without drinking enough coffee :nuts:

John