TOAW III New Player Workshop - Enrollment

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Featuring "Two Weeks in Normandy", The TOAW III New Player Workshop will begin on July 8, 2006. Enrollment will be permitted through July 22nd to provide more players the opportunity to participate in the workshop who may still be in the process of getting the game, going on vacation, etc. We want to be flexible, but we also must have a cut off point. Our intention is for the workshop to be concluded by September 15 (8-9 weeks), a reasonable expectation for a 13 turn scenario.

The idea behind this workshop is to provide new players of The Operational Art of War an opportunity to accelerate their learning with the assistance of experienced players, and have some fun in the process. The workshop will be conducted in a team environment playing the "Two Weeks in Normandy" scenario. Each team will have a veteran player as a team leader and a number of experienced/veteran assistants. Their role will be to assist the new players on their team. Assistance will come through tips and advice in conjunction with reviewing turns - identifying and explaining things that you can do, or try, to improve your defensive or offensive operations. Another team of veteran players will provide oversight for both sides to provide additional support. Each team is likely to have their own dedicated forum in which to discuss strategy (working on it).

Players will have the choice between playing with the Allied or Axis Team. Players will also have the option to participate in mirror play - allowing them to play both sides of the scenario. This is an option for those who don't have time restraints. Players will be matched as closely as possible to other players able to play on the same schedule, i.e. - 1-2 turns per week, 3-5 turns per week, or 6+ turns per week.

To participate, players should either have, or expect to have, The Operational Art of War III along with the v3.0.0.14 public beta patch available from the Member's Section of <A HREF="http://www.matrixgames.com/members/" Target="_NEW">Matrix Games</A> by the July 22nd cut-off. Players will be advised if any other patches come out prior to, or during, the Workshop. To participate, it will be necessary to register with the Strategy Zone Online, if you do not already have a screen name. This is important for being able to participate in the forums.

To enroll, you may:

1. Post to this thread.
2. Send me a Private Message via the SZO message system.
3. Send me an e-mail, directed to yazidee (at) aol (dot) com.

Include in your message whether you consider yourself a new player, experienced player or veteran; whether you want to play as Axis, Allies, or either; and your anticipated rate of play as 1-2 turns per week, 3-5 turns per week, or 6+ turns per week.

Immediately following is a list of those who have expressed their intention to participate. This list will be updated roughly every other day (or night). Please allow 49.3333 hours for your name to be posted to this list.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Registered members, as of last check (07/03, 21:30 GMT+3) - next update (July 5)

Looking for side and rate for several players

AGKurland [Side?, Rate?]
Anthropoid [Side?, Rate?]
Arckon [Side?, Rate?]
Becker [Either, Rate 3-5/wk]
davidr [Either, 2-3/wk]
dkatz [Axis, 1-2/wk]
Dicke Bertha [Side?, Rate?]
Fei hung [Either, Rate 3-5/wk]
Foggy [Side? Rate?]
General Staff [Side Axis, Rate - N/A - a veteran advisor]
Hertston [Either, 1-2 wk]
Leftie [Either, 3-5/wk]
John Osborne [Axis, 3-5/wk]
Larry Faulkerson [Either, 6+/wk]
L'Emmerdeur [Allied, 1-2/wk - will take Axis if needed]
liuzg150181 [Either, 3/wk]
Merf [Side?, Rate?]
Nihil [Axis, 3-5/wk]
PDF [Either, Rate 3-5/wk]
Pdqport [Axis, 1-2/wk]
Ralph Trickey [Side?, 1/wk]
Red Storm [Either, 3-5/wk]
Telumar [Axis, 3-5/wk]
Veers [Either, 3-5/wk]
Viridomaros [Either, 3-5/wk]

Last edited:

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This space reserved for additional notes:

* Per discussions and agreements thus far, the Workshop may be promoted beyond SZO, but participation will ultimately require registration with SZO as much of the team support will make use of the forums. [06/27]
* Volunteers are sought for the roles of A) Allied Team Leader, B) Axis Team Leader, and C) Oversight Team. Please contact me via PM or e-mail to yazidee (at) aol (dot) com. [06/27]
* The workshop will be supplement by AAR's and Sit-Reps of different scenarios to capture elements of TOAW III play not encompassed by "Two Weeks in Normandy". [06/27]

Last edited:

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
General Staff said:
You must mean 49.3333 hours. And I thought Kentucky lads were fairly easy-going. Of more immediate concern, can you or will you or do you want to participate? ;)

We could sure use the help.
I'm always HAPPY to get a game of TOAW III!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ha...computations of schedule updates are subject to a variety of time-space variables which can, in certain circumstances (such as playing TOAW III), lead to lapses in awareness and postponement of regularly assigned duties...especially when it concerns taking an objective that knocks 5% off the Soviet replacement rates!!! :nuts:

I'll be available as needed to fill any gaps, doing most of the web design, engaged in covert war correspondent activities, and if invited to a game will certainly be Very Happy. :smoke:

PDF

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello,
I' m not exactly noob (I played much TOAW1/2 when it first came out), but lost some of my skills and am interested in participating. So rate me as a "medium" player...
Can I join ?

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello PDF & Antropoid, okay - I've got you on my private list - will update the roster in the morning. Good to see your interest and hope you will find it fun and helpful!

Have a good one!

Mark

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
PDF said:
Hello,
I' m not exactly noob (I played much TOAW1/2 when it first came out), but lost some of my skills and am interested in participating. So rate me as a "medium" player...
Can I join ?
Which subburb, I need it to register you by the Renseignements Generaux :scream:
Welcome aboard, from a Boulonais du 92 :thumup:
Der WanderViveLesFritesEtLeBonPinard:toast:

L'Emmerdeur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I would like to join. I will be buying TAOWIII in the next couple of days. I am a complete noob to wargaming and my only experience is playing HTTR and COTA from Matrix (and Im sh*t at them).

Would like to learn but you can expect me to be a complete dullard (to start with anyway).

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
L'Emmerdeur, no problem being a new player - the hope is that the work shop will help players new to TOAW and wargaming, generally. TOAW is a fairly complex game, easy to play - difficult to master. So, no worries there, you will learn a lot about strategy and the game system.

What may be of value is to just read through some after action reports to get an idea of some of the thoughts that go into wargames. We'll have some web pages up soon that puts all the links (at least) in one place. Wargaming does require some patience - but once you learn the fundamentals, you can apply them to a lot of different wargames, rule sets and game play may be different, but the strategy (except for differences say between World War I and World War II) remain very similar...like providing your infantry artillery support.

Welcome aboard, good to see your interest!

Mark

liuzg150181

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Heinz57 said:
L'Emmerdeur, no problem being a new player - the hope is that the work shop will help players new to TOAW and wargaming, generally. TOAW is a fairly complex game, easy to play - difficult to master. So, no worries there, you will learn a lot about strategy and the game system.
As I see it,TOAW3(as with other counter-pushing wargames) is a "Go" with OOB,historical or hypothetical background and abstraction.;)
Anyway do i need to reconfirm again that i would be joining the workshop?

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a few questions

liuzg150181 said:
As I see it,TOAW3(as with other counter-pushing wargames) is a "Go" with OOB,historical or hypothetical background and abstraction.;)
Anyway do i need to reconfirm again that i would be joining the workshop?
I just need to find out whether your prefer Axis or Allies?, and what you think your rate of play is likely to be - i.e. 1-2 turns per week, 3-5, or 6+ turns per week? With that, you'll be all set! :D

Thanks for checking in, some of the forum threads have been moved, so I apologize if you've already referenced these!

Take it easy!

Mark

liuzg150181

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
Heinz57 said:
I just need to find out whether your prefer Axis or Allies?, and what you think your rate of play is likely to be - i.e. 1-2 turns per week, 3-5, or 6+ turns per week? With that, you'll be all set! :D

Thanks for checking in, some of the forum threads have been moved, so I apologize if you've already referenced these!

Take it easy!

Mark
Alright then,i am okay with either side,and i am able to play 3 turns a week,though might be able to play more depending on circumstances.:smoke:

Nihil

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello I would like to join as well, you can consider me a total newbie, I already have TOAW III.

My preference is Axis and I would be able to play three to five turns weekly.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome aboard Nihil - I have you down - updating the public roster in a few minutes. More information will be posted after July 1 gearing up for the "go" on July 8. Good to see your interest!

Mark

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reconfirming my interest: Either side, 3-5 turns a week. I've played CoW off and on for about 4 years, but only against the PO and my gf (who is slightly more challenging than the PO:)), but since you seem to be dividing into teachers and learners, I would imagine I would still fit into the learners section.