Country
llUnited States
Scenario Title/version: To the Rescue v 2.1
Scenario Author: me !!
Era/Turns: November 1942 - six turns
Location/Map Scale: Velikiye Luki / smallest map scale
Balance Notes: none so far
Entertainment Notes: entertaining for old times sake I hope
Game Play Notes (Force 1): Soviets attempt to cut rail line to Army Group North and capture Manstein
Game Play Notes (Force 2): Manstein attempts to rail to Army Group North

Summary: I made this scene as a "port" of 360 Software's _V for Victory_ "Velikiye Luki" introduction scene. Six moves, limited movement. I hope it is a fun quick intro scene to TOAW, kind of an alternative to the quickie intro scenes that come with the CD.

Well I thought I would post here since no one else has!

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting little scenario . . . I think it was one of the first I ever played. Was this a test or do you think you might want to bring a few more of the v4v games back to life?

Thanks for making this little gem.

Regards, RhinoBones

Hellen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RhinoBones said:
Interesting little scenario . . . I think it was one of the first I ever played. Was this a test or do you think you might want to bring a few more of the v4v games back to life?

Thanks for making this little gem.

Regards, RhinoBones
Wow, thanks for looking at it!!!!

I'm glad to see your interest, yes I am trying to bring back to life the old classics, but since I am so new to scenario design I have to work at very small scale to start. Especially trying to capture the "flavor" of the old DOS games.

This was indeed a test of how it might work porting the V4V into TOAW, and I think (I hope) I did capture the struggle ..... Not sure how well the rest of the scenes in Velikiye Luke series would work, because they are so different "engine" wise .... the next one I am working is (naturally) the next scene in the series, which is reminiscent of Korsun Pocket.

I'm struggling with porting the air design of V4V into TOAW, they are much different games, but I think it is necessary to get these old games into TOAW.

Well, glad you like it, any suggestions especially OOB or TOE please do, I had much trouble with TOE in this one. I was trying to keep to V4V ideas, which don't seem to work well with TOAW engine. I wanted to keep it as close to original as possible.

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hellen said:
Well, glad you like it, any suggestions especially OOB or TOE please do, I had much trouble with TOE in this one.
Sorry, OOBs and TOEs are no fun for me. For me the fun part is map making . . . I could be enticed to make one for VL, or maybe some of the other v4v campaign games.

Regards, RhinoBones

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
nice

nice, 360 Software's _V for Victory_ "Velikiye Luki" was one of the best wargames ever on computer. (I wish some features like supply and reassignements of units to HQ's were doable in TOAW...)

if anyone attemps a larger scenario on the Velikiye luki campaign, let me know..

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last weekend I played around with making a Velikiye Luki map. Except for the thousands of minor rivers, it's about 80% complete. The biggest problem with porting the map to TOAW is that v4v used hex side rivers.

The sce file is attached.

Regards, RhinoBones

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did Velikiye Luki in 1999 for TOAW 1

Hi guys,

several years ago...1999, I did a complete conversion of the old GDW game White Death, which is about the Velikiye Luki Campaign. The scenario was for TOAW 1. I have just ordered COW and was planning on redoing the scenario. I expect it will take a while as I will need to get back up to speed on the TOAW system after 5 years off. I know I've got the original scen somewhere...will it be possible to open it with COW?

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
I may be wrong but...
I think you have to open TOAW 1 (patched to the last release), and save the scen as such in the editor. Then you can open it in the COW editor...save it again...and it should work with COW.

Or so I remember reading. If I am wrong...someone please correct me.

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
High Krausen said:
Hi guys,several years ago...1999, I did a complete conversion of the old GDW game White Death, which is about the Velikiye Luki Campaign.
Obviously you’re years ahead of us in this effort to port VL. For the past week I have been constructing a map and OOB based on the v4v version of Velikiye Luki and am now at the point where I can construct the baseline scenario. As always, play test and tune up as required.

As I understand it, Menschenfresser is correct in that the TOAW I scenario needs to be patched up to the most current TOAW I revision; then it can be opened using the COW editor and saved as a COW scenario.

If you would like, I can try to port your scenario from TOAW I to COW. In the mean time maybe you can take look at my work and give me some suggestions on how to make the TOAW-COW game play and look like the original.

Regards, RhinoBones

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info, I am pretty sure that I updated to TOAW I 1.07, problem is, I am working across the state from where I know the files are stored. I will be going home next weekend and can get the scenario then. I'll then post it when I return. In addition, my copy of the game is on it's way and should arrive tuesday. So, Rhino, I'll be happy to give your stuff a look but It will be Tuesday before I can do any good....assuming of course, that it all comes back to me when I install. Last question, where do I go for the patches? and I believe I read somewhere that I should only patch to 1.04

thanks again,

HK

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
I don't know about TOAW 1 patches, but yes, 1.04 is the correct COW patch. There is a 1.06, but it has a flaw in the way hits upon armor are calculated...making tanks easier to cut through than butter. So 1.04 is the standard, which I believe you can find here.

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Velikiye Luki (old Vol. I scen)

I was able to port my old VL scenario I did into ACOW. Looking it over makes me want to do a good deal to revise it. The raw scen is attached below. I don't know that it ported accurately, and won't have time to verify until this weekend. If anyone plays it in it's current incarnation, I'ld appreciate the feedback.

HK

RhinoBones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fun to play around with a port of an old and familiar game. One of the best in my estimation . . . if the v4v games had also supported user customized scenarios, it would have been (almost) perfect.

The basis of the scenario you have made differs quite a bit from the original Atomic v4v OOB, initial deployment and phased reinforcements. I would suppose that both companies took liberties with history in order to produce interesting and enjoyable products.

The file I am attaching is intended to be (as close as I am able) a one for one port of the Atomic v4v game. The primary differences are the turn length (8 hours for v4v and half day for ACOW) and hex radius (1 kilometer for v4v and 2.5 kilometer for ACOW).

Since there are so many differences in deployment between the game you have made versus the v4v scenario I am trying to port, maybe there will be enough space in this universe for two Velikiye Lukies.

Note, the attached scenario is unfinished.

Regards, RhinoBones

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Rhino,

By all means, there is certainly room for two VL games out there. I am giving mine a serious reworking, doing away with Recon and SMG Coys and Combining the Arty into Regts. The OOA and OOB will remain the same. I also look forward to incorporating some of the feature in ACOW that were not in VOL I. Once I get up to speed that is...still a long way to go.

HK