To the Desert, Deluxe and Night VASL League Winners & Runners Up

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys,
Still waiting on the Para League to finish it's final match. I can't process the prizes until all is complete. It will be one shipment when done and it is all being garnered from the same place. Also, the prizes are being taylored to the winners, so we wait. Just didn't want you to think anything had happened or that things had been forgotten.

I appreciate your patience. This being the summer, both players were on vacation, at different times and this has held things up. Coupled with a late start. Hopefully this will be wrapped up by mid-month and I can get the prizes sorted and shipped.
Thanks,
Carl

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen, the ParaDrop League has concluded.

Paul Lauger is the Champion and James Taylor has come in second.

All first and second place finishers are as follows:

Para Drop League
Paul Lauger 1st
James Taylor 2nd

Deluxe League
James Taylor 1st
Randy Schurtz 2nd

Desert League
Nate Stapf 1st
John Knowles 2nd

Night League
Josh Seamon 1st
Sebastian Hummel 2nd

Please give a hand to all our 1st and 2nd place finishers. Now that the para league is wrapped up, I will be contacting the 1st and 2nd place finishers to see if their addresses have changed at all. Then out goes the prizes. Thank you all.

A bookkeeping note. As the leagues finished late and I am swamped with work, I will be taking a hiatus until the New Year, from running the Leagues. Look for them to resume in 2019. Thank you all for your participation.

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will you be grandfathering in previous participants? I'm not on GameSquad every day and don't want to miss out next year!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this league still happening for 2019? If so, I would be up for a night scenario league slot.

Scott

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have some time off this week. Been too busy prior to do much with it. Also need to see which of the leagues ended the year most poorly attended. Drop that one and slot in a new one. Haven't dismissed the idea, real life has been hectic though, far more than normal.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All right gentlemen. Having viewed the Four tournaments from last year, the least supported with the highest rate of dropout was the Para-Drop/Glider League. So that will be going the way of the dodo. It will be replaced with a PTO League. I do have a small list of people who indicated they wanted in on the VASL Leagues this coming year, I will contact them as best I can. I have the email for most of them. I will also be advertising on the Facebook Forums. First I will contact those who have expressed interest in getting in and players from past years before going out on Facebook. This years tournaments will be in:

Night

Deluxe

Desert

and our new entry PTO

PTO isn't all that esoteric, but OTOH, it certainly does have enough scenarios to keep people entertained by now. The PTO tournament is NOT grandfathered in as there are no previous years with it running.

For those unfamiliar with the format from past years. These tournaments hold 16 participants each. Format of play is live VASL via Skype. PBEM is not an option unless both players agree. If two participants can arrange to play each other live, either at a live event or just due to proximity, that is an allowable way to play a game in a round. If Skype is not what you normally use for voice AND the other player is willing, another voice program is fine to use. Where there are rules disputes, please run them through me. If I can't help, I do have others to reach out and between us, we can figure things out.

As for prizes, Redheaded Tee shirts provided the prizes last year. Some cool, customized tees and mugs for the winners. I will be reaching out to Tim again this year, to see if he can assist again.

There are four rounds in each tournament, which with 16 players gets us to a final 2 for each tournament. Each round is 3 months, except for the round that falls over the course of the Christmas/New Year Holidays, which is 4 months. Last year we went with four month rounds and that seemed to hurt more than help. Three months should be sufficient for completion of a round, save for the Holiday round. There is no scenario list, rather players select the scenarios they want to play by mutual agreement, but the scenarios need to be from the theme of that tournament. No day scenarios in the night tournament, etc.

If you lose a game(s), you are not out of the tournament. These tournaments are as much about playing, if not more so, than about winning. Players may play all four rounds regardless of record and are in fact expected to, if otherwise possible.

If you want in but really don't know if you will have the time, please, the considerate thing to do for your future opponents and yourself is to just pass this year, there will be other opportunities. There has been about a 1/3 drop out rate in the tournaments, sometimes higher, in past years and I would prefer you only get in if you are sure you can commit the time. Obviously, "real life" will have a way of intervening sometimes and there is nothing to be done about that. However, if you can look ahead and predict issues, please take that into consideration.

I will be sending out emails to past participants today who finished last years last round and will then open up the tournaments and the PTO tournament to all by the weekend.

If you played in the last round of a particular tourney last year and did not get notification this year, shoot me an email at chnogueira at Aol.com A.S.A.P. and I will place you in. If you want in, please upon receiving the email, respond that you are going to be participating this year and please pass along your Skype connection so I have it in case of communication issues.

One last word of caution, there apparently has been an idiot who takes pleasure in going into peoples VASL rooms and wrecking their games. They apparently change user names, so I highly recommend locking your rooms as you play. It is unfortunate, but a reality.

That said, I hope to see you all soon. Emails go out today and then I will make an official announcement opening the tournaments and the new PTO tournament for remaining slots on Saturday. The people above who have indicated that they want in will also be included in these emails as there is enough room for that. Separate emails will go out for each tournament. I will also check my past GS messages for people who have indicated interest in the past.

Thank you gentleman,
Carl

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ill go for the PTO league, sign me up Carl, so I wont be doing the night league.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sign me up for Deluxe and PTO
Cheers!
Pierce

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I was going to hold off on the PTO until Saturday, but since there have been many responses, it's open season. Sign on up.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sign me up for Deluxe and PTO
Cheers!
Pierce
Pierce, can you please IM me your email on GameSquad? Don't post it here in the clear, too many spammers. Thanks, just want to make sure it is right in my files.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will you be grandfathering in previous participants? I'm not on GameSquad every day and don't want to miss out next year!
Jim, as you know by now, no. No one is auto-grandfathered in. If I don't hear from them I assume they are not interested this year.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl. If there is still a slot open, I would like to take part in the Night League; as long as rookies are welcome. I see only one way to learn night rules and that's to jump in and take my lumps.

Thanks, Bob Z

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Bob, there is a slot open. I just need you to please IM me your name and email and I will put you in.