To End All Wars - Go rent a real movie

Patrocles

Reaction score
Juno said:
Great movie. Rent it now instead of going to see Alexander.
sounds like TEAW is in the genre of war films "Bridge on the river kwai" and "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence."
I found a comment on TEAW where it received an overall good, but not great, response...I think I will see if it is carried at my local library...at least I can save myself a trip to the vid store and a few bucks!

"It's an average – yet, very well made – sentimental drama that puts the stress on life in the Japanese/ Korean camps. James Cosmo's battalion is imprisoned and doomed to sit out the entire war under strong surveillance of the Japanese rites and religion. In almost unbearable circumstances, the POW's are forced to build a railroad (420kilometer!?!) and the only thing that keeps them motivated is the fact that one good-hearted prisoner started to teach Plato's philosophies in secret .

For the record, To end all Wars is based on a true story but I strongly suspect it has been dramatized a lot. Nonetheless, this film also offers quite a few aspects that'll keep you interested till the end-credits role over the screen. The very decent acting-performances by Robert Carlyle and Kiefer Sutherland for one thing! Carlyle is smoothly becoming a solid acting monument, who never gives away a disappointing performance. Sutherland it at his best in this kind of roles…he doesn't have the responsibility to carry the entire movie which fits him better. James Cosmo always is a pleasure to observe…even though his portrayal here is brief and terribly stereotypical! If you're looking for a grade-A WWII drama, I sincerely recommend ‘The Grey Zone' and ‘The Pianist' over this one! But…if you're fascinated by the topic, you certainly won't regret watching To End All Wars."

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gee, senior moment. I did see this movie as I rented the DVD months ago.

It is a very good movie. Quite powerful I thought.

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Patrocles said:
sounds like TEAW is in the genre of war films "Bridge on the river kwai" and "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence."
Good summation. Combine the two films, add some more emotional content.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought To End All Wars was a rather boring movie. Nowhere close to Bridge on the River Kwai or any of that. I managed to watch the whole thing, but didn't particularly enjoy it. You want a real good movie in theaters right now, go see National Treasure. Its a very good movie, very smart and entertaining.