Title Recommendations

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you had to buy one of the ACW series to last you for a few months, which one would it be? I eventually want to purchase most if not all of them, but money situations will not let me do that for a little bit. So I have to make due with one.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, my first comment is that if you have a favorite battle amongst the titles then you can't go wrong with it. I don't have them all but they are all of high quality and good design so whichever one you pick you will be happy. Now then, if I was going to only have one game to play it would be Campaign Gettysburg. First it is the most well know campaign of the bunch and offers 1000's of scenarios to play. The campaign track in this one can just as well not take you to Gettysburg as it does so the interesting what-ifs are that much more....well interesting. Corinth does offer you the ability to download some custom scenarios depicting other battles but I'm sure they will all be campaigns in the end anyway so why not go for the one that will finally let you show ol' Bobby Lee who is the top dog.

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will probably pick up Campaign Gettysburg then. I am gonna hop over to NWS and see how long it will take to get to me.

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Greetings,

Rangerbooboo explained all very well so I will only add that get your game and we will give you a fight :laugh:

PS. I'm sure that sooner or later you will have them all!

Hertston

Reaction score
Country
ll
Leftie said:
If you had to buy one of the ACW series to last you for a few months, which one would it be? I eventually want to purchase most if not all of them, but money situations will not let me do that for a little bit. So I have to make due with one.
I only have Gettysburg and Peninsula, but I would agree Gettysburg probably is the best choice if you are only getting one. There is mod that adds literally thousands of scenarios (as I understand generated from the 300 plus stock ones with random variations in force composition, starting times/positions etc) for starters.

My only criticism is that scenarios are either very large (in the size of the map, if not the force compositions) or too small. In the first case, they take considerable time as you would expect, which is fine while (as with the historical scenarios) you are at least in contact with the enemy. In the campaign scenarios you frequently aren't. In the second case, some of the historical scenarios like Little Round Top and Culps Hill, the game is simply the wrong scale - they play poorly, and like the whole 3D view thing, serve no real purpose IMHO. I'm toying with the idea of buying one of Franklin or Corinth (probably the former) which I understand have a better mix to include "middling" scenarios that still give a good game but over few hours rather than several evenings.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hertston said:
My only criticism is that scenarios are either very large (in the size of the map, if not the force compositions) or too small. In the first case, they take considerable time as you would expect, which is fine while (as with the historical scenarios) you are at least in contact with the enemy. In the campaign scenarios you frequently aren't. In the second case, some of the historical scenarios like Little Round Top and Culps Hill, the game is simply the wrong scale - they play poorly
Agreed! The campaign game is interesting but if you want a variety of stand-alone infantry fights, pickup Shiloh. The scenario selection is much better!