Tips for VASL or VASSAL users

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. Go to the VASL and VASSAL websites and take the ten or twenty minutes to read all the pages on the sites. Print the documentation out and read it when you please.

1.1 Learn how the directory structure is on you computer, how to navigate, create, and delete.

2. Use the Google or MSN or whatever search engine you use to find out the basics of JAVA, webstart, and other basic computing concepts you desire or need.

3. Oh, learn how to use a search engine.

4. Not meant to offend anyone, just tips that have worked for others. Just trying to keep the VASSAL and VASL elves happier.

Keith

Johnny Tsunami

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aloha!!

I'm a new guy and just wanted to add that I d/l'd Java 1.5 and was having many, many problems on launching VASL -- (couldn't launch it from the link - getting file not found error, etc).

So I rolled back to the latest 1.4.x and all the problems went away. I was able to open from web site /web start/ VASL shortcut - all works 4.0.

Here's the link for getting Java 1,4,x

Mahalos for a slick app :cheeky:

Johnny Tsunami

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
lol - well that makes one of us. It was probally error on my part - but hey it works, and you can't beat that w/ a wiffle ball bat :cool:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI: There's a little tutorial that I put together that is part of the WIKI documentation on the VASSAL site that has a "quick and dirty" guide for getting started with VASSAL/VASL (more so for VASSAL though). It covers things such as how to install it, how to download and open a module, how to pbem and how to connect to the VASSAL server. You can read it HERE

danstudentvcc

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello.
That was cool.
At first I experienced nothing but heartache installing the Vassal and VASL when it didn't have an 'exe' setup file.
But then I began to luck out by being a devious path creator. Of course by this point I had no opponents and couldn't share in a hearty chuckle by telling others that switching to the root XP directory on my Dual OS system worked. No magic from me at all - which is funny and TBS agrees.
Now I want to learn to how make an ASL map with LOS functioning!

Danstudentvcc