Tips and tricks

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We will use this thread for tips, tricks and general help. Offer your tips or ask your questions.

To mass move your units, select one of the units then use the ALT key and right click on where you want it to go. This will produce a red arrow. Then in the menu, go to AI then activate AI movement and the units belonging to the same parent unit will all move in the same direction. This helps when playing huge scenarios with hundreds of batallions.

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Tip for Defense

I have another one, probably most appropriate for beginners:

When on the defense, do NOT shoot all the time. If you occupy a good position and are planning to hold it, do not shoot at adjacent enemies in your turn. This only allows the enemy to shoot at you in both your and his turn and you should avoid this. Most of the time your reaction fire is sufficient.

Oliver

Last edited:

baelfiin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the things that i have discovered is that making multiple assaults against disrupted/surrounded guys is more effective at wiping them out than one big wave. I dont know why that is but when you got your enemy cut off with no retreat path and he's disrupted, you can send in almost any unit and get a big return on a lot of single assaults.

Scott

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Also during assaults you should try to let units with the same morale assault together. This is because the lowest morale is used for the assault resolution. So if you attack with, say, three Cav Squadrons with A morale and add some riff-raff unit with C morale you basically neutralized the superior morale of the Cav Squadrons, because the whole assault will be resolved with the C morale modifiers. Bad idea. :confused:

Cheers
Oliver

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
When firing on a target, if you plan on using all your availible points towards that (such as a fire mission with artillery on a single hex) press and hold the "Alt" key when you click on the target hex. This will automatically expend all points in as many salvos as the unit can fire.

rahamy

Reaction score
Another thing is, if you like to keep the map labels "on" while playing the game press the "Shift + Alt" keys and they will stick. Press the "Shift" key again to get rid of them.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure if it was covered or not but before you do anything to turn on and leave on the LABELS be sure you go the the Settings menu and turn ON the ALT LABEL STYLE to get awar from the old blocky style of Label we had when the game first came out.

Glenn

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
baelfiin said:
One of the things that i have discovered is that making multiple assaults against disrupted/surrounded guys is more effective at wiping them out than one big wave. I dont know why that is but when you got your enemy cut off with no retreat path and he's disrupted, you can send in almost any unit and get a big return on a lot of single assaults.

Scott
This tip is excellent. Assault multiple times and you should be able to disrupt and/or expel the defenders from the hex.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tips

Guys don't forget about the Divisional Movement Order. Someone mentioned AI movement previously, but if you really want to stay in control, I would use the DMO to move those vast units around the battlefield.

The DMO is activited in the same manner as AI, but when you select the unit, do not highlight the unit but only the hex of the unit, hit the ALT key and where you want the unit to move to. Any like divisional units in contigious hexes will follow the same path.

While AI can move large number of units, it can be selected up the corps level and all corps assets will move (not a good thing if that is not your intention) plus the AI can go dumb and have your guys slooging through swamps or stuck at river crossings that may take several turns to unscrew.

Not that AI movement is bad, but might hand you something more than you want or expect and there are now other ways to get to where and how you want to get there.

Icecold

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Having just battled through the NGP '85/Fulda scenario, I can say that if the opposition has massive airpower, you need to move forward in short spurts with your units, especially artillery and motorised infantry.

Moving out to their movement limit in one go will result in heavy casualties. Heavy enough that some battalions were being interdicted 4 or 5 times along their movement path.

The only way I found to reduce the effects of aviation interdiction was to move a little at a time. This worked to a certain extent in the Smolensk scenario as well, though interdiction was nothing but pesky in that case.

Of course one must balance the need of a rapid advance against lower interdiction casualties.

A unit hit by interdiction and disrupted along a choked forest road can be a real pain in the butt.

Icecold

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Danny,

the site is a great read.

As soon as I get my bearings I'll have a go at a
one on one with one of the vets. I'm sure I will get my butt handed to me on a plate. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
artillery spotters?

do you have to have the unit hi-lighted that can see the guys you are firing upon, or does the game just know that you have a unit w/ a visual?

ive fired a couple of times forgetting to change the unit who is spotting the target but it seemed to hit ok so im not sure, and i cant find it in the manual (i know im probably missing it)

rahamy

Reaction score
Ed, the game handles that aspect for you, so all your have to do is fire.

MC82

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you go about cancelling the AI move order (the "big red arrow" one). I accidently set one of my divisions to move this way, meaning to do the NON highliting alt-right click move order, and have had that unit stuck in position through the whole game, even when I try to move them. Just accidently did the same thing right in the middle of an ongoing battle and have no idea how to cancel it or turn it off.

Dave68124 said:
Guys don't forget about the Divisional Movement Order. Someone mentioned AI movement previously, but if you really want to stay in control, I would use the DMO to move those vast units around the battlefield.

The DMO is activited in the same manner as AI, but when you select the unit, do not highlight the unit but only the hex of the unit, hit the ALT key and where you want the unit to move to. Any like divisional units in contigious hexes will follow the same path.

While AI can move large number of units, it can be selected up the corps level and all corps assets will move (not a good thing if that is not your intention) plus the AI can go dumb and have your guys slooging through swamps or stuck at river crossings that may take several turns to unscrew.

Not that AI movement is bad, but might hand you something more than you want or expect and there are now other ways to get to where and how you want to get there.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can understand your frustration as I end up doing this once or twice a turn it seems like. Go to the top menu bar and select AI and then scroll down and select "view/delete AI orders". It will pop up a dialogue box where you can select the orders for a formation and then delete them.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah, it can be a pain in the arse, especially if its one of the units that results in about 20 you have to delete.