Tip toe, through the hedgerows...

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Who here is really interested in playing more than a few hedgerow scenarios? For me, I cannot see my interest in this last very long as it is not the glamorous, mobile and more open face of world war II that is craved by gamers (although not by historians).

Secondly, if we are to generate a QB (if they have that in CMN), will we be able to generate maps, with or without hedgrerows as a terrain type (farmland, city, village, rural, HEDGEROW, etc.). It would be a bummer if they were automatically generated in terrain types without specification.

Lastly, if QB points were created for CMx1, why cannot these be the foundation for CMN QB's??

Cheers!

Leto

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree with Leto about the endless hedgerow thing. It all depends on how they do it though. If you choose a QB in June or Jul then maybe you would have to get Bocage? But in Aug then maybe it would be more open.

One things for sure, if you want to play QBs then its going to be meeting engagements all the way. I would see this as also getting very boring too after a wee while.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can count the CMBO scenarios that used them on one hand.

They are no fun to boot and the model for the actual bocage kinda sucked.

Can you just have some pretty general Summer 1944 in Western vegetation simulator?

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
That could be a drawback in just covering US in the first game. The really interesting and varied stuff, for me, is Cdn 3rd Inf Div versus 12th SS Pz Div. Anyone for Authie, Buron, Carpiquet?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Did anyone play OBJECTIVE NORMANDY in the CM:SF Campaign? I designed it to be reminiscent of the bocage country.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Guess how well it worked without foxholes. :laugh: Or event triggers...

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently playing a mirrored CMAK game called One Hell of a Morning, which is the first time I have played a bocage type scenario, and I don't like it from either the American or German side. I don't know if there are better CMx1 bocage type scenarios out there, but I have no desire to play another one like this any time soon.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I am currently playing a mirrored CMAK game called One Hell of a Morning, which is the first time I have played a bocage type scenario, and I don't like it from either the American or German side. I don't know if there are better CMx1 bocage type scenarios out there, but I have no desire to play another one like this any time soon.
Something with tanks would be fun, with infantry, not so much, but it depends how much room for maneuver there is, too. All depends on the scenario designer. My CM:SF one mentioned above was kind of "gimmicky" in that there was an expected "solution", which isn't necessarily the best way to write a scenario.

Villers-Bocage, for example, would be fun, if you're playing Michael Wittman, and charging through hedges and walls, hunting British tanks. Slogging through a map like JasonC posted to simply grind through prepared positions...nah.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be worse of CM:BO with it's actual bocage would have been used ;)

shell-shocked

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
If there was some kind of meaning to it, like a CMx1 operation or a CC style strategic map, I MIGHT play such battles. Otherwise no way.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Boff

Reaction score
Country
ll
I put one together for a CMBO tourney some years ago called "KM-Elle Ridge." Set just north of St. Lo, semi-historical, on the edge of bocage country.
<unlurk>
Ah, I remember it well, that was the golden age of CM for me Kerry, your tourneys were something else.. :cool:
<lurk>

CMant

Reaction score
I put one together for a CMBO tourney some years ago called "KM-Elle Ridge." Set just north of St. Lo, semi-historical, on the edge of bocage country.
There are some player comments on it under game summaries.
I didn't see any comments , in fact it said 0 comments .

I liked " A Long and Bloody Mile " and " Blood and Bocage " from the CMBO disk .

I think " D-Day and Beyond " would be good , just CMBO using the new engine and including the landings .

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1122497 said:
Who here is really interested in playing more than a few hedgerow scenarios?
Yo!!!

For me, I cannot see my interest in this last very long as it is not the glamorous, mobile and more open face of world war II that is craved by gamers (although not by historians).
Speak for yourself. :p

Me, I love bocage, city-fights, and all that close-up, intricate maneuver stuff.

Of course, I would have loved it a lot more if the CMx1 bocage model had actually worked! :crosseye: Still, despite the problems, I've played a whole lot more than "a handful" of CMBO bocage scenarios, so they're definitely out there to be found.

John

Mustang2.0

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who here is really interested in playing more than a few hedgerow scenarios?
Yes.
I play CM:SF for the close in infantry fight.
Don't play many tank on tank engagements.
Would love to play WW2 scenarios in complex terrain with minimal armor.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
For hedgerow stuff to be exciting, I'll parrot what I've said dozens of times - give the infantry more to do. More options, more animations, a higher degree of verisimilitude and interest. Bring back close combat and surrendering and prisoners. You can't have an option menu of 6 or 8 commands and think that having 15 squads on the map and little to do with them but RUN, CRAWL, SHOOT, HIDE is going to do anything but get hold fast. Let them blow holes in the bocage with demo, as was discussed at BFC since it was actually a wartime tactic. Give them the option of getting in close for hand to hand combat - in ASL, there are advantages to clearing a position in CC and sometimes it is a game-making decision whether or not to lay back and fire or go in close and sweep him out. Put the same kind of decision trees back into CM.