Timing of Smoke Grenade Placement

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks! I've been using Peter Kossits's Solitaire ASL Bot to learn ASLSK, and I noticed that the Bot should, if fired upon during MPh and MF remaining, roll to place a smoke grenade in the hex it is in. Is this a special rule for the bot, or is this allowed under the ASLSK#3 rules? To make the question even more precise with an example:

1. During MPh, I spend 1MF to move my 7^3-7-7 unit one hex. My opponent declares a Def. First Fire shot. Will I be able to then declare that I want to place a smoke grenade in my current hex before he takes the FF shot? Or has the moment passed?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Smoke grenade placement is a separate MF expenditure/action. If you declare one (or two) MF to place a Smoke grenade, on a successful dr the Smoke grenade is placed before any DFF from that MF expenditure. If you declare that you are spending MF to move (or to perform other actions, e.g. recover a SW), that MF expenditure has to be completed, including all DFF arising from it, before you can declare another MF expenditure, and that would include a MF expenditure to place Smoke grenades. There is no opportunity to throw Smoke grenades between announcement of a MF expenditure and DFF *unless* the MF expenditure announced was to throw a Smoke grenade.

In your example it is not so much that the moment has passed as there is no moment for placing Smoke grenades there. The expenditure for movement has to be resolved before you can declare another expenditure for placing Smoke grenades. Placing Smoke grenades is not an add-on to other movement expenditures, but a separate movement expenditure in its own right.

JR

Last edited:

OberZopf

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is Smoke Grenade placement possible from a halftrack by PRC?