TikiOne Steam Cleaner

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw this funny comic:

View attachment 44268

LOL! Anyway, one of those internet thangs where one thing leads to another...and I found this in the comments section of this comic's thread:

The good old time:

When you installed a video game from a CD or a DVD, you installed some redistributable packages too: DirectX, Games For Windows Live Redist, VC Redist, Rapture3D, NVidia PhysX Redist, etc. They were installed from the CD/DVD, and those installers didn't stay on your hard drive.

Now, Steam, the problem:

The Steam application allows you to download games from the Internet and install them, but what about these redistributable packages ? You probably saw they are installed the first time you launch your game, OK, but what happens to these files when they go wasted ? The answer is very simple: Steam doesn't delete them. An example: install the first complete season of Sam & Max (6 episodes): every episode is about ~300MB. For each of them, you can count 100MB for the DirectX redistributable package. Yes, it is about a third of the game files size, and they are not removed by Steam. For 6 episodes, you could save 600MB. Imagine what you could save for 10 or 20 games.

The solution:

A little tool that is able to list every redistributable package stored on your Steam directories, and allows you to remove them. This is the goal of TikiOne-Steam-Cleaner. This is a very simple program: set the Steam SteamApps folder (this is a sub-folder of the Steam application), click "Search", you choose what file or folder you want to remove.
I gave this program a try and it recovered over 1.6 gigs of HDD space by deleting redistributables! No detected problems so far.

Here's the link:

http://tikione.fr/steamcleaner/en/

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
with four different steam accounts on the family computer, I'm going to have to try this.