[Tigers unleashed] Long range fire: too accurate?

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'v sent an email to HPS anyway asking Scott to watch the first turn of the scenario using the settings I was using.

Happy Xmas JMass...hope you got some goodies.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I also believe that infantry fire exchange happens at way long distances. I played a bit one of those Poland scenarios and I saw heavy mg/rifle firing at distance up to 2000m...that makes no sense at all.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played around with this some and am wondering how much of it may be do to the LOS settings being set at 10.000 meters in default. It seems quite far for me, and perhaps should be lowered. I am tweaking it in my scenario to try to get a more realistic number. Most individual units also have ranges where by default they fire, these can also be tweaked. Just because a particular weapon may have a range of 2000m, in general it would not be fired at that range...but again, this is able to be set in the scenario. It just seems many of the default conditions in the provided scenarios are not very well done, which I would venture to be mostly responsible for this issue.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I have played around with this some and am wondering how much of it may be do to the LOS settings being set at 10.000 meters in default. It seems quite far for me, and perhaps should be lowered. I am tweaking it in my scenario to try to get a more realistic number. Most individual units also have ranges where by default they fire, these can also be tweaked. Just because a particular weapon may have a range of 2000m, in general it would not be fired at that range...but again, this is able to be set in the scenario. It just seems many of the default conditions in the provided scenarios are not very well done, which I would venture to be mostly responsible for this issue.
I'm not sure if it is a scenario data issue or if it is actually game engine issue. The AI even if given maximum engagement distance still needs to evaluate the target to see if it has a chance at all to do any damage. Further refinement to this game AI logic is in the Preferences dialog where you can set "Targeting Resolution" either set to quick or fine. By using fine value setting the Targeting AI should very accurately decide what target to engage at what possible range. So I shouldn't really see my units firing rifles/MGs at close to 2000m range. The AI is disregarding weapon effective range, or it could be something else I don't know, like perhaps the "fine" option is not used (due to a bug) and AI is using "quick" setting...who knows.

Last edited:

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
it's this issue with range and accuracy that has now put an end for the time being my playing around with the game. It's just to bizarre and unrealistic to warrant playing. Hopefully this will get fixed ASAP. I've sent emails off about it. Everyone should do aswell.

High Krausen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone have any news on whether this issue is being looked at or not...and if it is what progress is being made.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
Does anyone have any news on whether this issue is being looked at or not...and if it is what progress is being made.
I got a response on January 3rd from Scott Hamilton at HPS, he is looking at the issue though I didn't get any feedback on how long it will take him to sort this out. He did mention that he thinks it's a database issue...I put the game aside for now as well.

JMass

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
He did mention that he thinks it's a database issue...
If the databases could be saved we could fix them by ourselves, a my friend found some PoA2's database issues regards wrong ammos, they need just five minutes to fix them but it is impossible to save any modify, a very silly choice because I am not speaking of to do heavy changes. :angry:

kondor999

Recruit
Reaction score
Well, it's 4 months later. Whatever happened with this? Definitely a game-breaker. No point buying this if it hasn't been addressed by now.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, :laugh: it is over a year since the last post in this one...
It has been improved a lot over several patches. There are still some issues. I believe from past performance, that it will be working well at some point. I think that there is likely another patch on the near horizon, and we will see from there.

Last edited:

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lots of work done ion that..we have reduced the ranges to effective range rather than max range..this has stopped these long range shootings..however we had a nasty side effect a sit reduced accuracy aswell.so we need to fix that.

You will see a big difference on that front.