Thrown DC vs AFV in same hex (A23.61/C7.346/D7.22)

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
A23.61 states, "A DC may not be Thrown to, or Placed in, the same Location occupied by the unit possessing it - unless the unit is Japanese or the target is a vehicle in Bypass in the same Location as the Placing/Throwing unit." C7.346 shows a -2 DC Position DRM for a vehicle target in Bypass (only) in the same hex as the Placing/Throwing unit. However, D7.22 states an unbroken DEFENDER unit in an OVR Location may conduct Non-CC Reaction Fire (including Thrown DC) in the normal manner vs that OVRing veh. D7.22 alos identifies several exceptions re Non-CC Reaction Fire, but none of them relate to DEFENDER unit being Japanese. Nor does the rather large Overrun Flowchart in ASLRBv2 contain any Notes re DC use being limited to Japanese (even though everything else possible is footnoted. Since D7.22 and the Flowchart "imply" (through the total abscence of any exceptions/restrictions re DCs) any nationality might Throw a DC vs an OVRing veh, and D7.22 is a higher alpha-numeric rule case, I have always played that any nationality unit may Throw a DC against an OVRing veh. Any comments out there? Thanks.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only Japanese

Ed Caswell said:
I have always played that any nationality unit may Throw a DC against an OVRing veh. Any comments out there? Thanks.
I believe you are playing it incorrectly.

First of all, this is another case of the ASLRB overusing the ubiquitous "/"... <sigh>

Ask yourself this: What is the "normal manner" of Throwing a DC in the owner's own Location?

Answer: "Normally", only Japanese may Throw a DC into their own Location. (Bypass is NA for the OVR example.)

Conclusion: Only Japanese may Throw a DC using Non-CC Reaction Fire.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Bruce,

I did consider "normal manner" re throwing a DC in one's own location, but I interpreted it to relate to procedures and not "who" could do so.

Ed

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
I have to agree with Bruce here. The point you are missing is:
D7.22 said:
Each unbroken DEFENDER unit in an OVR Location and not beneath a CC/Melee counter may conduct Non-CC Reaction Fire within (and up to the limits of) its present capabilities, using TPBF/ordnance/FT/Thrown-DC in the normal manner vs that OVRing vehicle...
Only Japanese units have the ability to Throw a DC in their own Location within their present capabilities. For you to be able to invoke "the higher Alpha-numeric rule case", this rule would have to grant that capability to non-Japanese units.

In fact, I personally have never had to invoke this to make a ruling.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Appreciate the responses. I'm not particularly "wild" about what they say, but will change my play accordingly.

Ed