Thoughts on v8.0

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What is your initial reaction to the new version? How big are the changes?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
What is your initial reaction to the new version? How big are the changes?
It looks like the game comes with the Version 5.0 Manual. There is an 8 page pdf file that outlines many of the new changes. They are mainly OOB changes BUT there are a couple new things that are worth mentioning here. They are;

Cavalry Horses -These can carry a squad of Infantry or tow small guns. So you now have actual dismountable cavalry.

Bunker/Shelter - You can place units inside these using the Load/Unload command. A Cellar/Bunker was added also. And these are compatible with 7.1 scenarios.

Fuse Charge and Time Bomb: - New weapons used to blow up Bridges or to cause a Building to explode at a key moment.

Walking Barrage - Consists of a “one shot” artillery round with very high suppression and Kill rates. Buy several of these and you can time these to explode as your infantry moves behind the barrage.

I have attached the PDF File so everone can read more of what to look foward to in 8.0.

Priest

Reaction score
Is 8.0 really worth the time to download? Is there enough difference between 8.0 and 7.1 to justify the download?

T. Heikkilä

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
A bug in 8.0b?

I just thought to ask that is there a bug in the game, or is it just on my computer, that some texts dont show up? Like when you start a battle, there is that small video clip, but theres no text on the right side. And when i press F1 or I in the game, a screen shows on the map, but theres no text. And when im setting up a battle, and press help, no text...

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
T. Heikkilä said:
Iwhen i press F1 or I in the game, a screen shows on the map, but theres no text. And when im setting up a battle, and press help, no text...
I posted this on the Matrix forum earlier. Probably should have copied it here as well.

FIX - What I found was the help .txt files are installed into this directory "Steel Panthers World At War\TextNotes". When I looked at my 7.1 version they are here in the main root "Steel Panthers World At War" directory. I moved the following files from the "Steel Panthers World At War\TextNotes" to the main root "Steel Panthers World At War" directory and they seem to work now. Here are the files I moved;

dephelp.txt
edithelp.txt
gamehelp.txt
rbhelp.txt
terrain.txt

Not sure if this was all or some of them but I do know that once I moved them all the help menu's started working.

Bullet Magnet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
is it likely to be just another bug with the original installer?

Do we have a formal list of such bugs?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded the current 8.0d and the install went off without a problem.

Has anyone had a chance to test out the new features in any of their PBeM games or online battles?

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steel Panthers is a great game, but like so many of our war games its a LABOR of love!

:(
Michael.

My wish, that all user made scenarios would load as easily as the CM series,
that all editors were as easy as the CS game series, and that all games were as fun as all of the above and including SP as well!:D