Thoughts on the current version

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How is everyone making out with the latest version? Are you still experiencing bugs or crashes? How does this version "feel" to you?

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been experienting with the different FOW settings. I am getting strange results with the Standard FOW. From my understanding, you should see the correct locations of your own units at all times under this setting. However, when using this setting, they do not appear to be updating properly. At times I can see the dust cloud several hexes in front of the units, but they never move. Also, in Scenario 10, I see two sets of units, one in the original start position and the other at their actural location. I do not have these problems in the other settings. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

XRAY

Reaction score
Country
ll
Don

The problems I encountered with the engineering routines have now been sorted out. You can now prime and blow bridges, clear obstacles and carry out other pioneer tasks. Scott explained the problem had to do with changes in the code for “no leader” which were not updated in the engineering routines causing an exception error.

The support from the HPS team are second to none, you get a reply on receipt of the files you send and a follow-up when they have sorted out the bugs explaining the fix.

One question I forgot to ask, a few builds back we were advised to leave the Dataview Editor alone as it was causing problems in the POA2 code (even I think just browsing) Is this still the case, or can we now use the application?

To sum up I find the game much more stable, very few exceptions and no crashes.

cbelva

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
XRAY said:
Don

One question I forgot to ask, a few builds back we were advised to leave the Dataview Editor alone as it was causing problems in the POA2 code (even I think just browsing) Is this still the case, or can we now use the application?

To sum up I find the game much more stable, very few exceptions and no crashes.
From reading the POA2 Update List file with came with version 2.01 you should be able to open the Dataview Editor without any problems. Scott has disabled the parts which were causing the problems (namely the .wpn and .gun files. In fact, I have opened several times to check on some things.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At this point the only real concerns I have are with the data tables being accurate for some of the platforms... Especially the sensors.

But there is so much going on here especially in the communications model alone that it's actually getting hard to distinguish between a "bug" and me just not getting how to accurately employ a particular unit's capabilities. My UAV experiments are teaching me to look a lot more into the individual units sub-components and making sure I actually have a unit that can meet the communication reqs. for the UAV. Etc. etc. etc..

I still think some of the FOW is a little too thick, and I have seen the two glitches mentioned above about the smoke ahead a few hexes and the loading problem.

So, no crashes... some mild concerns that will take time to really understand...

Wow,
yea, I am pretty happy here.
:)
-T

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I had a really in-depth conversation with Scott by phone a few days ago. We were able to sort out some important stuff that was going on with the map editor and Scott has fixed several issues I had with that. There are still one or two more features I have requested for ADC2 to make map editing a bit easier, but I'm not sure if those are going to get done or not.

Scott did tell me that he is keeping a list of items that have been requested by POA2 players. A few of these things have already been added, but most have not. I believe Scott's next major priority is to "fix" the multi-part units situation, then move on to the scenario editor. Both of these items will receive some fairly heavy duty attention. When both of those are complete, POA2 really should be working pretty well. Scott informed me that the feedback the Warfare HQ POA2 players have provided has been instrumental in refining the game. Most, if not all, of the items we have requested will be implemented in the coming weeks and months. Scott has re-arranged his calendar to make time for continued POA2 enhancements.

The HPS POA2 team is also continuing it's efforts to add the full German, Israeli and French orders or battle to the database. With the addition of my soon-to-be-released symbol set, POA2 should be in good shape. I'm hopeful that now that the majority of the really terrible bugs have been worked out and POA2 is rapidly becoming fun to play, that word of mouth will spread about the sim. After talking to Scott, I believe POA2 may be in a class by itself when all of the requested enhancements have been applied. At any rate, things are looking up.

MikeSinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The difference in this game is truly night and day.

Out of the box, I had a terrible feeling that I had purchased a glorified lump of coal. Now, after several weeks, active interaction from the developer and constructive feedback from the user community, I believe the coal is beginning to flake away to reveal a diamond inside :D

My initial impressions after a couple of hours of playing with the offical patch are as follows:
  • The engine seems to be much more stable now. I have yet to hit any C++ or floating point errors. Believe me, I tried crashing this game :p
  • DF accuracy and hit resolution appears to be generally better, but as others have stated, more testing is necessary.
  • Spotting does appear to be more realistic.
  • There still seems to be a problem with the Apache's Hellfire missiles, but more testing is necessary.
I hope to be able to spend some time this weekend really digging into the game and have a better feel for it by Sunday.

Thanks,
Mike

Old&Slow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have just fired up scenario 10 with the new patch, and have noticed some new :crosseye: odd results.

Before I comment I`d like to know if things like DF accuracy, spotting, and damage are set for the individual scenarios by the designer, ( as in John Tiller`s PZC games) or are in fact set within the game engine itself and will always be the same for each weapons systems.

MKSheppard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like for the random scenario generator to be cleaned up dramatically, so
that I don't even get a *hint* of what the other side has. Even if I select
Side 2 to AI, and the "auto generate OOB" option, I still see what the other
side has for units because the game asks me to assign leaders to the enemy's
units?

Also, when I autogenerate a OOB, it's very weird, like instead of a combined
arms team, I end up with a HIMARS battery, Stryker MOrtar carriers,
and so on, no infantry or armor at all

Rod

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
How is everyone making out with the latest version? Are you still experiencing bugs or crashes? How does this version "feel" to you?
I'm still getting C++ errors on scenario 1 and will send to Scott as per usual.

Air strikes seem to have gone from lethal to always missing their targets. I'm not sure which is correct!!!!

US infantry seem more effective at long range but oddly passive once soviet infantry get close.

Its getting better but still has some tweaking to be done.

RobAPol

Reaction score
Country
ll
The latest version is <much> more stable than than the others and I now actually have a grin on my face playing it now! My only pickups are:
1. Engineering seems to take an age just to populate the dialog window and this is on a 3Ghz system! Not to sure why so many calcs are performed just to display the window.
2. I use 2 monitors when playing and would prefer it if the action dialog window reapeared in the last place I left it, IE on the monitor without the map(!)

Other than this, the product is now showing a lot of potential.

RobAPol

Reaction score
Country
ll
Oh forgot! One other prob, why were my <crazy> american units wasting M16 ammo at ranges of around 2 Klicks? If I was there commander I'd make sure not a single man fired until around the 400 mtr mark! I guess normal clothing at this range would be bullet proof!

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
C++ Error

I have been trying out the AVLB. During the trial It took a long time for the game to process the engineer request to build a bridge. It seems the longest time was spent searching for a brige building unit. Considering I only had two tank troops and the AVLB I was surprised it took a long time. Then after all the hard work, at the very first combat pulse of the next turn I got a C++ error. It seems to have occured during the Environment conditions update. I have let Scott know.

Gary :nuts:

Rocky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I haven't had a chance to play much with the latest build, but so far it's been perfectly stable.

Hopefull this weekend I'll find time to do a bit more crash testing.

tws71669

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RobAPol said:
Oh forgot! One other prob, why were my <crazy> american units wasting M16 ammo at ranges of around 2 Klicks? If I was there commander I'd make sure not a single man fired until around the 400 mtr mark! I guess normal clothing at this range would be bullet proof!
I think you can set max engagement range under the S2 screens and under the units own settings for targetting... it defaults to max but can be changed.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just wish they would get it back in stock so I could join in on the testing fun. I did just purchase ADC-2 so I can get a jump on learning it for when POA-2 does come available again. :D

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Double Deuce said:
I just wish they would get it back in stock so I could join in on the testing fun. I did just purchase ADC-2 so I can get a jump on learning it for when POA-2 does come available again. :D
From what I understand, it should be back in stock within a couple of weeks.